• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anon M4 goggles discontinued?

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I bought M4s last summer for this season and have LOVED the MFI integration and LOVED LOVED the quick swap on my 3 lenses. Game changer vs the Relapse!

However, it's really starting to look to me like this goggle has been discontinued?! Can't find much at Burton/Anon for lenses, some other sites say discontinued... Am I hooped for new and replacement lenses? Is it stockpile time or...? 3rd party stuff any good given the quality of magnets required to have them not just fly out? Am I just wrong about discontinuation, or might future versions be backward compatible one gen?

James

Out There
Instructor
I bought M4s last summer for this season and have LOVED the MFI integration and LOVED LOVED the quick swap on my 3 lenses. Game changer vs the Relapse!

However, it's really starting to look to me like this goggle has been discontinued?! Can't find much at Burton/Anon for lenses, some other sites say discontinued... Am I hooped for new and replacement lenses? Is it stockpile time or...? 3rd party stuff any good given the quality of magnets required to have them not just fly out? Am I just wrong about discontinuation, or might future versions be backward compatible one gen?

Go look at www.Prolens.com and see if they have them. Don’t expect a big discount there, but they're likely to have the lenses.

It often makes sense if you can find a whole goggle with the lens you want on deep sale to just buy another one.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

How do you know it's been discontinued? They still show up on the website. And I have found supply and availability to be seasonal sometimes. It's possible that lenses will be available in the fall; Or that the Burton website will confirm it as discontinued.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The website buries the lenses and makes them hard to find, but I can see both the toric and the cylindrical M4 lenses under the “technology” tab on the Canadian site https://www.burton.com/ca/en/p/anon-m4-toric-perceive-lens/W22-222741.html?cgid=anon-goggle-lenses
and

not all are in stock, but many of them are. I have the M2s and agree that they’re fantastic and really convenient.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh crap, wish I saw this sooner. Sun & Ski had a pair in North Conway that were missing the box and MFI mask and had them marked down by like $120

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Oh crap, wish I saw this sooner. Sun & Ski had a pair in North Conway that were missing the box and MFI mask and had them marked down by like $120
We think they are AREN"T going out of stock, actually. Mel pointed out that they are hidden on the Anon/Burton site in a disused lavatory with a sign on it that says "BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD".

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We think they are AREN"T going out of stock, actually. Mel pointed out that they are hidden on the Anon/Burton site in a disused lavatory with a sign on it that says "BEWARE OF THE LEOPARD".
Douglas Adams FTW! :)

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
not all are in stock, but many of them are. I have the M2s and agree that they’re fantastic and really convenient.

Convenient, great looking and superb lens quality.
However, the most useless goggles I've ever had the misfortune to own, due to poor design.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Care to elaborate? The M2?
yes.
The problem is that the magnetic attachment at the nose area of the frame isn't adequate. I think these goggles are designed for the "under the helmet" squad, although the strap doesn't lend itself to this.
When worn with a helmet the structure of the goggle is flexed outwards sufficiently so that the nose are of the lens does not remain attached to the frame. This is probably compounded by the curved lens being a strong shape, so that the frame flexes more and departs from the lens.
This is problematic - 2 of us owned (and liked ) these goggles, but found that under very cold conditions the goggles fogged and the moisture froze on the inside of the lens. We were at the top of the Marmolada in the Dolomites and it was -27deg at the bottom, so very chilly..

The "outriggers" which the strap attaches to do nothing to spread the load and a simple outward pull on the strap will see a gap appear which allows the moist air to enter and cause fogging.

We took this up with Burton/Anon who claimed that there had been a faulty batch and that the redesigned ones were fine. They sent us 2 new replacement pairs (from Austria to us here in Scotland) but we found the design to be identical, and indeed could find absolutely no difference in the construction. The fault also remained, so we eventually got most of our money back .

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I find the M4s to be good as long as you don't pull too hard on the frame. I have had fogging only a couple of times in 30 some days last year, once when very cold, and once between the goggle panels (annoying) when very warm.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven’t had any issues with the goggles and find the magnets very secure. I use them with a Smith helmet and am definitely not in the “goggle strap under the helmet” crowd! I’ve had them for two full seasons now - some fogging issues on one or two days when I didn’t have my mask routine dialed in last season, but this year has been fine in a range of temperatures from -20C to +5C.

I wonder if a wider/bigger frame like the M4 would have helped. I think the M2 is relatively small - I moved from the Smith io/s to the M2 and found it only slightly bigger. If you have a larger face or a rounder head, there would definitely be more pull on the strap attachment points.

It’s too bad they didn’t work for you - I like the lenses and the field of vision that I get with them.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven’t had any issues with the goggles and find the magnets very secure.
Me too. Never had any issue with my M2s. Just wore them for a week in Colorado and they were great. Certainly nothing like "designed for the under the helmet squad", especially considering that wasn't much of a thing years ago when they were designed.

I think, @Rod MacDonald, it may be a particular issue with your head/helmet or something. I have always heard goggle fit was very dependent, and a lot of folks on here and other sites do seem to recommend trying them on with your helmet before buying, no matter what you buy.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I think, @Rod MacDonald, it may be a particular issue with your head/helmet or something. I have always heard goggle fit was very dependent, and a lot of folks on here and other sites do seem to recommend trying them on with your helmet before buying, no matter what you buy.
@Rod MacDonald , maybe try changing out your head?

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Me too. Never had any issue with my M2s. Just wore them for a week in Colorado and they were great. Certainly nothing like "designed for the under the helmet squad", especially considering that wasn't much of a thing years ago when they were designed.

Thanks for the inference that I have a huge melon.

The helmet in question was a salomon prophet, in Large and I didn't try them with any other helmet , but as I stated, my friend had the same problem with the goggles and with a Smith helmet in a medium.
Anyone who's got these goggles, just try pulling the strap gently in an outward direction looking on the lens and you'll see the frame separate away from the lens.

Under the helmet design certainly WAS a thing when they were designed, except it was called "not wearing a helmet".

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the inference that I have a huge melon.
No inference at all. I likely have a larger head - I'm mostly in XL helmets. I'm just saying there might have been something about the shape or strap or something - or they may have even tweaked the design a bit at Anon over time - that would explain why I and others have never had an issue.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
No inference at all. I likely have a larger head - I'm mostly in XL helmets. I'm just saying there might have been something about the shape or strap or something - or they may have even tweaked the design a bit at Anon over time - that would explain why I and others have never had an issue.
Have you tried the test I described above?