• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anon M4 goggles discontinued?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did yours "open up" in the same way as mine?
I don't remember... given that the frames can flex a lot more than the lens, I'm willing to bet if you pull them enough you'll pop the magnets. That's why I was wondering if it was helmet or shape related. But when I'm wearing them I've never had a magnet come loose. (Well, except for one big tumbling crash when I managed to make the lens pop out entirely. Other crashes with snow in my face haven't moved the lens.)

When I want to change lenses I generally leave the goggles on and flex the frame to get the lens off - so flexing the frame will definitely disconnect the magnets. If your straps are pulled differently than mine when wearing them, you may have an issue.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's not a matter of " if you pull them enough" , rather - a slight pull is sufficient to break the seal at the nose.
That's a design problem .
Anyway, I simply wouldn't recommend them on that basis.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say I am very pleased with my M2s, and have never had that problem with them. In fact, I just dug them out and put them on and I could not break the seal at the nose even while purposely trying. I wonder if it has something to do with face/helmet shape?

The magnets do tend to let go when I stretch the goggles over my helmet (which I do before putting on the helmet, and just hold the lens in place).

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'm not a fan of the Anon M2. I bought a pair second-hand through this site, so I had no recourse to get a refund... learned my lesson there!

One issue (mentioned prior) is the lens popping out when moving the goggles between your helmet and your face. If you grab them with one hand at the nose (which I do with all prior goggles), the frame flexes enough to cause the lens to pop out. This is remedied by using both hands to move them and supporting the goggles at the edges near the straps. But I don't really like that as a fix since if I am moving my goggles, I don't want the pole anywhere near the lens to prevent scratching. So generally I move them with one hand (poles are in the other). With the M2, I had to plant the poles in the snow/ground, then moves the goggles, grab the poles (which sometimes fall over! bah). It's that or move them while holding the poles, and that's not great in a lift line since you are likely to whack someone.

So yeah, big time first world problems with the first gripe.

But really, my biggest gripe is issue number 2. Lens durability. I don't know if I was given the cheapest crappiest made lenses possible, but it sure felt like it. Bumped them once with my pole handle (the rubbery part) and the finish was visibly marred. OK, noted, they are delicate, so I then became very paranoid, using goggle soc all the time and being very careful. Then one fall in the snow and the coating was scratched badly BY THE SNOW. How do you make a lens that cannot stand up to abrasion from snow? Isn't that all they are really supposed to do? Don't care how fancy the coating is if it can't withstand normal wear and tear (falling in snow is normal IMO). They need some protective film over the metallization.

M4? No idea how those are, but I won't get another ANON product after the M2. Lenses nowhere near durable enough for me and the flexy frame ejecting the lens is a bad combo.

/end old-man-rant

James

Out There
Instructor
So glad I didn’t get the magnet thing goggles.
The one pair I did get a few years ago, the Smith, broke before I ever used them. A strap connection problem. One of the worst designs I’ve ever seen. So delicate. The failure rate must have been huge as they put special instructions that were ambiguous to try and curtail the problem of changing lenses without breaking them. Alas, they didn’t use words. At least they refunded the purchase.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are we discussing the M4 or the M2 ?

The M4 is still in the line up and will probably grab another pair if I even catch wind of there being discontinued.
With 4 lens and 300 days on mine as well as being part of their crash test dummy project I can tell you’re there bomber.
Massive crash so bad I almost drowned in the deep snow only put my goggles back on packed with snow, lens still attached.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So glad I didn’t get the magnet thing goggles.
The one pair I did get a few years ago, the Smith, broke before I ever used them. A strap connection problem. One of the worst designs I’ve ever seen. So delicate. The failure rate must have been huge as they put special instructions that were ambiguous to try and curtail the problem of changing lenses without breaking them. Alas, they didn’t use words. At least they refunded the purchase.

Yes, Smith had a couple of bad designs for magnetic goggles up until the 4d Mag. Which are superb.
They however have this very peculiar issue-they fog between the two single lenses that make the sandwich construction of the lens. It does not happen all the time but when it does it is mega annoying as it is impossible to clean the fog.
It has never happened to me with the M4s or any other goggles.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Yes, Smith had a couple of bad designs for magnetic goggles up until the 4d Mag. Which are superb.
They however have this very peculiar issue-they fog between the two single lenses that make the sandwich construction of the lens. It does not happen all the time but when it does it is mega annoying as it is impossible to clean the fog.
I had the M4s fog in between the panes just a little bit once (out of 35 days) this season. Was annoying, but was able to switch out lenses and it didn't happen again.

James

Out There
Instructor
I had that happen this season on a very cold day. Maybe -20 to -24C. Frost in between the lenses.

Years ago I had a Briko goggle that fogged between the lenses going above about 10k ft, 3050m, when I went west. That was weird and really annoying.

Sponsor

Staff online