• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another good article from Jason Blevins and the Sunriser

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OMG.......... Just read this.......... Many of my stories on here are about experiences I had with my good buddy Jim (James Sutton). He was a nurse at the Jicarilla Service Unit where I practiced for two years and one of my "Snow Professors" and best buds. He was like my family. He was one of the most skilled backcountry navigators I had ever seen and was renowned in the Pagosa area as a B/C expert. OMG I'm just finding this out as I hadn't been in touch w/ him for quite some time. I knew him, Susie and the Tobinator (his daughter). We spent lots of time together skiing and mountain biking in the backcountry of Wolf Creek and Dulce, NM......... I'm devastated. but @SBrown Thank you so much for posting this. I would have never known. I'm in tears right now thinking of Jim and I rippin' the backcountry together......... Cheers to one of my best friends ever! I'm happy that mule deer jumped over our heads or we may both have met our Maker that afternoon on the bikes. I'll always remember your face and eyes and the surprise and screams as we ripped that curve and that deer's hooves hovered inches above our helmets as he jumped over us. That stands as one of my most memorable "Extreme" sports moments. I loved sharing that with you. I toast your life and your legacy that lives on through our shared experiences. You were a great friend and teacher. I Love you Man..... Always!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is a powerful piece.
For someone who is too chicken to attempt backcountry skiing, well...it makes me think and also made my heart sink a little.
Big props to those who forecast, train people, search & rescue, and all the other moving parts.

@Yo Momma sorry for the loss of your friend. :(

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok now I’m the one who is devastated. My condolences @Yo Momma .

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok now I’m the one who is devastated. My condolences @Yo Momma .
No worries and thank you everyone. Jim always lived life to the fullest. His infamous statement to me during one of our first outings was; " I'm not the fastest Mark, but I can break trail ALL DAY LONG!" .... and I soon found out he was NOT KIDDING!.... He was a Beast yet always polite while handing me my legs in a bag! ... I had him clocked on the downhills on the mtn bikes though! He was shocked the first time I pimped him on a long downward stretch! :beercheer:

( On March 25th there will be a celebration of life ceremony in his honor at the Pagosa Springs Arts Center. I'll be there in spirit and I'm sending him Love & Prayers)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January