• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another road rage with cyclists incident

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
For me, and I expect most roadies, as soon as you have your first "close" call. The vast majority of which actually aren't that close. The question of vulnerability has nothing to do with hearing about cars running into cyclists and everything to do with actually getting out there and riding with cars.
Though I have a road bike I'm not actually what I would consider a roadie. I cycle commute pretty small distances and am acutely aware of the risk of car van and other drivers just not paying enough attention. For my relatively small time exposed to danger though the convenience outweighs the risk (although I can easily see myself in a hospital bed asking myself why did I not walk that day). I was thinking what are the maths when you are going out regularly for lengths of tim, particular in a country like the US which is perhaps more "car is king" than other countries?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wasn't getting that from your original comment at all. I can't recall any time I ever encountered a pedestrian on the road while on my bike. But I was definitely not threatening to quit skitalk over it lol.
I just don't want to read about one of our members being another victim of this type of supidity, even you ;):beercheer:.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As much as Team Evergreen preaches bike safety, its a pretty social group, and I can't help but wonder whether some of the riders were riding two or more abreast, which is not good and which can trigger drivers.
I'm hoping that I don't come across as uncaring, because I absolutely believe in the cyclists right to ride on the roads, and I'm not (in any way) condoning motorists hitting or even getting close to cyclists who are on the roadways.

That being said...
When I lived in Michigan, the excavation business I ran was on a country road (Old US 131/Mackinaw Trail) which was pretty hilly.
There wasn't really a good shoulder on the roadway for cyclists because it was an older hwy, but it was a main line between Grand Rapids and Cadillac for cyclists.
It was frustrating when our truck drivers would come upon cyclists riding three abreast on the roadway. Mind you, I (and our drivers) know that they had every right to ride three abreast, but that doesn't eliminate the frustration when a big truck, is trying to keep momentum while navigating the up-hill and down-hill traffic.

Imagine coming up over a hill with a tractor/trailer loaded with construction equipment, to find cyclists. Now you've lost your momentum and getting up the next hill is a little more challenging.

On the side of the cyclists - Its also not easy to get off on the gravel shoulder with a road bike without risk of getting a flat, so I absolutely understand why they don't get off on the gravel shoulder.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
For me, and I expect most roadies, as soon as you have your first "close" call. The vast majority of which actually aren't that close. The question of vulnerability has nothing to do with hearing about cars running into cyclists and everything to do with actually getting out there and riding with cars.

Oh mine was. Ford F150, blue lives matter flag brushed my hand while I was on the hoods. I estimate he was driving at least 60 in a 35 mph zone. I was riding on the white line at the edge of a 2 lane back road with no shoulder. There was NO traffic in the opposite lane. It was very intentional, though I doubt he intended to actually hit me.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Having struggled with drugs since she was 10 years old, Mill said she was about 48 hours sober from opioids on the day of the crash. She said she has a “documented history” of seizures when trying to get sober, and in the two-day period leading up to the crash, she had at least two."

Doc this is something that happens in drug and alcohal non-medically supervised detox. I have seen many and actualy caught one woman in free fall. The falling woman was three days away from drugs and alcohal. The woman driving was 48 hrs from her last high - it makes sense. I believe that it will factor into her sentencing. She should not have been driving with a history of seizures. She sounds like a hot mess.

I have a friend who passed away from detoxing at home. He was 56 and to me he was an awesome person. I was devastated - he had an agressive decline during the few weeks prior.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have the good fortune of riding in a place where the vast majority of drivers give wide passage wherever possible. I can't recall the last close call I had to be honest. I always give a wave and generally where I ride is either bike-safe or low traffic. Let' say, there is a definite mentality at work in places..

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I'm getting back into bike riding this off season, after a 10 year layoff. My strategy now is to stay off the roads. I figure if I'm going to do this every day, which I'm about to head out after this post, it is just a matter of time I get run over by an idiot. If there is a dedicated bike lane, I will use that if I have to, but I try and avoid those too, all it takes is an idiot looking at his phone, swerves into the bike lane and kills you.

So now I can just focus on other bike riders, and there are idiots there as well. I worry a lot more about getting hit by another bike rider than I do skiing.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Riding in Seattle, I actually feel very safe. Snohomish county? No. I want a jersey that says, "Make America Brake Again". Either that or just open carry. Pierce county? So so. Kitsap seems OK.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Riding in Seattle, I actually feel very safe. Snohomish county? No. I want a jersey that says, "Make America Brake Again". Either that or just open carry. Pierce county? So so. Kitsap seems OK.
patriot missile system for bike. Screw the weight weenies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Actually the more logical thing to carry would be a portable EMP gun that would render all electronics in the car unusable.

That said: most of you know I'm an active road and gravel rider who has more than a little bit of skin in the game of advocacy for safe street design. There are so many problems with every level of transportation management in the U.S. - from USDOT down to hyper-local leadership - but that still doesn't dissuade me from riding on roads and streets in almost any area of the country.

Be visible.

Be assertive.

And above all: be aware and know that sometimes it's best to live to fight another day.

Some drivers are simply angry at the world and a person on a bicycle is an easy scapegoat. Others like the cited driver who was in opioid withdrawal should never have been allowed behind the wheel - a failure of the healthcare "system" we have here. Still others have no spacial awareness of the real estate their vehicles take.

It's complicated, but that's no reason to raise the white flag.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Screenshot_20220722-102315_Google.jpg

Mounts in minutes or use the handy sling attachment. Guaranteed to put an 18 wheeler in the ditch.
Get yours today.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Actually the more logical thing to carry would be a portable EMP gun that would render all electronics in the car unusable.

That said: most of you know I'm an active road and gravel rider who has more than a little bit of skin in the game of advocacy for safe street design. There are so many problems with every level of transportation management in the U.S. - from USDOT down to hyper-local leadership - but that still doesn't dissuade me from riding on roads and streets in almost any area of the country.

Be visible.

Be assertive.

And above all: be aware and know that sometimes it's best to live to fight another day.

Some drivers are simply angry at the world and a person on a bicycle is an easy scapegoat. Others like the cited driver who was in opioid withdrawal should never have been allowed behind the wheel - a failure of the healthcare "system" we have here. Still others have no spacial awareness of the real estate their vehicles take.

It's complicated, but that's no reason to raise the white flag.
Ride with your head on a swivel and assume everyone is trying to kill you. Also, reinforce nice driver behavior by giving friendly waves and smiles when they “do the right thing”.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
At least two here in the past week... hit and run that is.. Not deemed "road rage" yet, but potentially. One of the riders died.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think anybody who has a circle of cycling friends knows someone who has been injured or killed by a motorist. I prefer riding on open road versus bike paths, so I do it, but I am very aware of the danger. I have a 17.5 mile out and back ride that I do regularly, and in those seven (country) miles there are two ghost bikes on the side of the road, a haunting reminder of cyclists killed by cars,

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Having struggled with drugs since she was 10 years old, Mill said she was about 48 hours sober from opioids on the day of the crash. She said she has a “documented history” of seizures when trying to get sober, and in the two-day period leading up to the crash, she had at least two."

Doc this is something that happens in drug and alcohal non-medically supervised detox. I have seen many and actualy caught one woman in free fall. The falling woman was three days away from drugs and alcohal. The woman driving was 48 hrs from her last high - it makes sense. I believe that it will factor into her sentencing. She should not have been driving with a history of seizures. She sounds like a hot mess.

I have a friend who passed away from detoxing at home. He was 56 and to me he was an awesome person. I was devastated - he had an agressive decline during the few weeks prior.
Hate to say that should be considered criminal negligence, you know you have a problem, know you are inducing it and still drive. :doh::huh::geek::nono:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where I live there are a collection of windy back roads that tend to be cycling favorites...they are also well traveled roads especially during the AM and PM commute times. From my experience, there is plenty of blame to go around. Jerk cyclists and jerk drivers...each giving the other a bad name.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Others like the cited driver who was in opioid withdrawal should never have been allowed behind the wheel - a failure of the healthcare "system" we have
As a recovering person myself, I'd place the blame for that 100% on the driver. She knew it could happen, and no one forced her to roll the dice - she had other options.

Assuming she's not making it up.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid