• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another sad story of a hit and run incident

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
The article says those who showed up to help told the teenager responsible to leave. So, note that in CO they were required to give their name and address. Telling them to just leave puts them in more legal jeopardy.
What percentage of people at Vail on a given day know that this is a requirement? When I first moved to Colorado, I had no idea this was the law. Coming from New England, this isn't even a concept.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
That area where Poppyfields East and West converge can be very dangerous. The terrain before the point of convergence allows for high speed skiing then the slopes come together in a much narrower corridor , collision potential is high.
Awful what happened but I bet it’s an area on the mountain where this occurs pretty frequently.
You‘re a lot safer skiing over on Prima through the Volkswagen size bumps!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Um, straightling is not against the rules. It's skiing out of control that is the problem.
Kind of the same thing.
20201112_152858.png

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would say not, Slowrider. One trail that is rarely straightlined, where I ski, is two sections of quite steep and wide enough trail. High speed skiing is not really my thing. Though I do ski fast, I don't ski that fast. It seems to me that it is a safe place to tuck since no one can come in from the sides. If someone is on the trail caution is required.

James

Out There
Instructor
What percentage of people at Vail on a given day know that this is a requirement? When I first moved to Colorado, I had no idea this was the law. Coming from New England, this isn't even a concept.
Based on that sample, 0 of 5.
That’s why answering a short quiz before getting a pass would be good. v

More and more, I think passing a quick written test on safety is needed before being allowed to buy a lift ticket. 10 simple questions ought to do it!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So Devil's advocate job

The reporting in the article is terribly one sided. Teen was in an accident, hung around, apologised and was told by someone else attending (possibly an adult) to go and suddenly it's a hit and run? Doesn't sound like it to me. Take into account shock and a bit of fear and following instructions almost feels logical.

Now the person who told him to clear off might have been a buddy which might have changed the complexion a bit...

Now the red and grey bit. IIRC technically Poppyfields West turns into Poppyfields above the junction with Poppfield East. Certainly the trail map shows this. So it's plausible that she was actually joining the main trail and therefore responsible for how she joined. That would upset the BTL "right of way period" reactionaries.

It's a sad event but like most incidents only the actual independent witnesses ( of whom you expect plenty riding the chair) can tell us what really went down. Everyone else head on a swivel re awareness a busy resort groomer is no better than a hockey rink.

Teens make poor decisions all the time. I'm not excusing but that's an objective reality.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've been in close approximation to a couple of collisions where trails meet....basically blind from either direction. If you can't see what may be around a blind corner, a little prudence goes a long way
If you can't see what's just around the corner, assume it's an instructor leading her flock of ducklings up the run, all 1 foot apart from each other and blocking the entire trail. i.e. be prepared to stop or take to the bushes beside the trail to get by.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would say not, Slowrider. One trail that is rarely straightlined, where I ski, is two sections of quite steep and wide enough trail. High speed skiing is not really my thing. Though I do ski fast, I don't ski that fast. It seems to me that it is a safe place to tuck since no one can come in from the sides. If someone is on the trail caution is required.
If you're unable to avoid a skier/rider in front of you, by definition, you are skiing out of control..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Some of this anti skier's code belief comes from surfing etiquette. On the wave, the person behind you dropping in earlier has the right of way and people who try to ride the wave out in front of them (i.e. in my line dude) are the villains and a hazard to other riders.

But, this ain't the beach of course. Just sayin that's a cause of confusion, especially among boarders..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC technically Poppyfields West turns into Poppyfields above the junction with Poppfield East. Certainly the trail map shows this. So it's plausible that she was actually joining the main trail
I wouldn't consider either to be the "main trail"... it's a huge wide open area. Here's a pic of the top of China Bowl, with the groomed areas highlighted (from a few years ago - it may be slightly different now, but the primary merge should still be the same). You can see the people too, as the little specks, so it's not that narrow an area anywhere. IMO, which trail is which is meaningless, because all of the legs of the "Y"s have different names, and after they all join, it's just "Poppyfields". These aren't narrow or blind eastern style trails that you'd get surprised on:

1610589032387.png

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Thanks. That stacks up with my recollection. So it's kinda interesting where the accident took place - if it was near the tree on the bottom of PF East then it might be that the vic was doing all the right things to protect themselves at a junction, if it was over toward where PF West bottoms out far more questions to be asked re looking while merging.

(For both parties given open sightlines)

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I certainly do feel bad for that poor woman. Hope she makes a great recovery.

We obviously do not know exactly what happened here.
There are so many questions we can ask. Or we can sit and just assume whatever we want with bias without truly knowing. Oh yes of course we all know the type of speed liners who fly down with no regard and little concern and responsibility. Those who refuse to curb their apatite according to the surroundings which they are responsibly suppose to respect for all our safety. But we dont truly know all the details. Was that 100% the case? I can imagine it but still imo would wrong to assume it. Just sayin.

But again just very sad it happened and I feel for her. thats so painful. I know too well because (not ski related) I once broke 4ribs plus collar bone and punctured lung. i wouldnt wish those weeks worth of pain on an enemy. I left the hosp after 5 days almost in as much pain as i was when the ambulance first brought me in. Wish her well.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January