• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another snowboarder vs skier fight

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or as was mentioned in the article, the skier punched the other snowboarder further up in the slopes.
1614081594354.png

James

Out There
Instructor
If you stay far away from people wearing sports jerseys that incident would not have happened. ogsmile
That’s what i tell kids. Put on the jersey, and your brother/father/sister are now a hazard. Of course they were a hazard before too. Everybody’s a hazard.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you stay far away from people wearing sports jerseys that incident would not have happened. ogsmile
That’s what i tell kids. Put on the jersey, and your brother/father/sister are now a hazard. Of course they were a hazard before too. Everybody’s a hazard.
Sports Jerseys are there to warn you to stay away, like bright colors on poisonous animals. The only time I've seen people who can actually ski or ride wearing them is on a Super Bowl Sunday when half of Killington seemed to be wearing Patriots gear.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not getting the sports jerseys reference. Can someone please explain? I see people wearing them on the slopes all the time.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Guy with the Ride board can be heard after the throwdown saying "you shouldn't have punched me" so this is possibly only round 2 and blue old guy was potentially the original aggressor.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Couple of things, the guy slammed looks 60+ old, examples why for the looser bindings, lucky for him actually.

If that was in Canada, Assault would be one charge and the other would be Intentional or Unintentional harm of a Senior, which is a Federal Charge.

Personally I glad the skier didn’t react as the boarder could be impaled and serious injured with a broken pole.

I would be filing charges, ski patrol or not.

It's an assault. Police should be called.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Or as was mentioned in the article, the skier punched the other snowboarder further up in the slopes.
View attachment 125448
Even if true, assault and now aggravated assault.

2 wrongs don’t make a right.

The comment about you cut me off, is always a concern (so I’ll take the other one with a grain of salt) but....for example.

I’m skiing down you pass just as I turn comes to mind, person passing has a responsibility to avoid.

Passing and stopping in front of....well that falls under the intentional getting in the way which is now a different set of responsibilities.

So I I can react to is what is seen in video (not taking a boarder or skier side here) vs hearing what is being told 3rd and 4th party.

I do have to agree, the Resort (staff) need to take action and respond to the scene (police only if offenders do not leave nicely). Without it left unchecked it becomes a free for all where sooner or later someone will gets serious hurt or killed. This does the industry harm as a whole not to mention hurting the Resort directly. We have a thread regarding industry problems......

COVID and the related fallout stress levels likely aggravated already tense individuals, though its no excuse. Everyone step up, relax, stay safe and we’ll all get through this no worse for wear, don’t turn a tough streak into a bad situation. Enjoy the good times.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wonder if there are are any snowboarder only resorts?
Why would they want to ride with such unruly people as skiers?

NAAW! We can all be jerks if you scratch deep enough.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
Striking someone is completely unacceptable unless being attacked. I didn't see that in the video.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's not so bad. At least they weren't Bills fans.

Lift line a Mt Snow is probably the safest place on earth to get in a brawl. Soft Vermont pow underfoot, gentle terrain, onlookers to help you. And you have a helmet and puffy layers on.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely a situation that:

a. Could have and should have been diffused by a Vail Resorts lift attendant if the resort were properly staffed (no J-1 staff this year is hitting them all hard).

b. Should have resulted in passes being pulled and terminated for all participating parties.

c. Should have had the local constabulary filing assault charges.

While I appreciate that someone filmed the situation, his mockery at the end shows to me that he was looking for something sensational to post on social media rather than trying to help the parties involved.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm an older skier. I have no bias against snowboarders; I have a problem with people committing assault.

Well there are a lot of boarders that are pieces of shit, I am sure there are also skiers that are pos's its just that there are more boarders that are pos's. At least here pos's are the minority regardless of mode of transport on snow.

change my mind :roflmao:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I do have to agree, the Resort (staff) need to take action and respond to the scene (police only if offenders do not leave nicely). Without it left unchecked it becomes a free for all where sooner or later someone will gets serious hurt or killed. This does the industry harm as a whole not to mention hurting the Resort directly. We have a thread regarding industry problems......

Problem is where are the staff trained in conflict resolution and de-escalation? Yeah an older liftie might have been able to waive a rake or cane around and persuade everyone to backdown but what's in it for a youngster to get in the middle of that apart from the potential for an industrial injury?

I once took an Aeroflot flight in the 90s where the male cabin crew looked like ex military (or I guess not beyond the realms of possibility some moonlighted for the KGB). A bunch of Russian trawlermen boarded with the remnants of a bottle of duty free vodka each (and a TV under the other arm). Sure enough about 15 mins into the flight a punch up started. 6ft cabin crew guy took one look at them shrugged and trotted off to the front of the plane while they punched themselves out.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m surprised by the “...patrol/lifties shoulda done this/that...” responses and expectations here. The video is one minute long - it’s hard for me to be convinced that a patroller, if notified quickly, could have responded in time to stop the confrontation. The same with lifties, I can’t see them recognizing the problem and leaving their posts (and stopping the lift) in time. And one more thing to keep in mind, patrollers and lifties are definitely not law enforcement, and don’t have the training or mandate or equipment to stop fights.

^ Like @fatbob said.

Sponsor