• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another snowboarder vs skier fight

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's good that they were able to identify them (is there RFID at the corrals there?) and disable the pass of the main thug. But, that doesn't make up for the bad experience everyone around them suffered all night..

Yes, like all VR properties they have RFID scanners at the lifts. It wasn't too difficult to address the situation. His cohorts were just dumbasses. There were a dozen of them, trying their best to distract me from coaching and it didn't work. Must've really frustrated them.

It's just poor behavior all around. Being a jerk has become more normalized in society to the detriment of everyone's enjoyment.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, like all VR properties they have RFID scanners at the lifts. It wasn't too difficult to address the situation. His cohorts were just dumbasses. There were a dozen of them, trying their best to distract me from coaching and it didn't work. Must've really frustrated them.

It's just poor behavior all around. Being a jerk has become more normalized in society to the detriment of everyone's enjoyment.

Being local I’m sure you were are Liberty or maybe Whitetail. Being so close to a highly populated area, they seem to attract more than their share of jackasses. I remind myself that many of the same folks driving on the beltway are skiing these hills.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This isn't really a skier vs snowboarder thing.
This is more about people being jerks in general.
Sad. :nono:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could point these people to these rules?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, does that mean that whoever is involved in crap like this just gets a pass? That ski resorts are free-fire zones? Sure hope not. IMHO, this goes along with some places turning a blind eye to alcohol and other substance consumption in lift lines and on the slopes. Not that THAT would ever lead to behavior like this :doh:
Oh, give me a break. I didn’t say that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, after the fight is over. BTW, how do you know patrol didn’t pull passes?

Yeah, it’s not like they have anything else to do or contribute. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm.

Was it here or epic where there were some folks that had adamant thoughts that ski areas should hire law enforcement? :nono:
I believe that was on Epic a very long time ago. Although there was this story from 2016

IMHO Patrol shouldn't be policing, and resorts shouldn't need law enforcement.

First, in a perfect world stuff like this wouldn't happen and threads like this wouldn't exist. Skiing/Riding is supposed to be fun with a capitol F

Since stuff like this does exist, many resorts have implemented safety staff positioned in slow zones and high traffic areas.
Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't feel like they have permission to be assholes?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since stuff like this does exist, many resorts have implemented safety staff positioned in slow zones and high traffic areas.

This is a big concern for the Mid Atlantic properties that VR scooped up in buying Peak Resorts. Due to VR's "one size fits all" operating schema, the all-volunteer Mountain Safety team (basically non-EMT patrol types) was summarily disbanded this year. Combined with a smaller Ski Patrol staff, it means fewer people to enforce safety on the hill. The Mountain Safety team would be the first line of policing things like mask wearing in lift queues and extinguishing flare ups of tempers.

It's an outlier year, for sure. And my mountain is missing their Mountain Safety team quite a bit this season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a big concern for the Mid Atlantic properties that VR scooped up in buying Peak Resorts. Due to VR's "one size fits all" operating schema, the all-volunteer Mountain Safety team (basically non-EMT patrol types) was summarily disbanded this year. Combined with a smaller Ski Patrol staff, it means fewer people to enforce safety on the hill. The Mountain Safety team would be the first line of policing things like mask wearing in lift queues and extinguishing flare ups of tempers.

It's an outlier year, for sure. And my mountain is missing their Mountain Safety team quite a bit this season.
Oddly enough, VR has the yellow jackets with the giant foam finger positioned by the slow signs, and I believe they are(were) volunteer, or at least paid little enough that they may as well be volunteers ;)

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oddly enough, VR has the yellow jackets with the giant foam finger positioned by the slow signs, and I believe they are(were) volunteer, or at least paid little enough that they may as well be volunteers ;)

That may be the case at the top level VR properties, but in the minor leagues we don’t have the yellow jackets. Alas...

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Mount Snow is a zoo. I don't care what you ride, skis or board, that place is not only loaded with people - it's loaded with punks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Not necessarily. Ski Patrol are not the cops. but they will call the police if need be (or resort management will call the police). Something needs to be egrigious enough with witnesses willing to testify for that level of escalation to happen.. But ya, if you're getting pounded by some drunk, the ski patrol probably isn't going to risk getting hurt to help you. They're not armed.
I think if someone is getting harassed or pounded by someone (drunk or sober) there will be people getting involved to stop and protect the individual(s) along with me.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Maybe in California or Canada but I don't think that is true everywhere. My understanding is that most jurisdictions, especially the ones with stand your ground laws, allow one to use physical force to prevent someone from committing a violent felony or if someone's life is in danger.
Good Samaritan Law!

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
I always wonder when I see things like this, why on earth would you pick on a stranger with two long sharp metal poles? That's just stupid.

There are a number of ski buses going from NYC to Mt. Snow. One of them who's clientele are mostly snowboarder allow them to drink on the way up and down. I've seen that bus company pass out beer out of a cooler. While I don't think this incident has less to do with alcohol and more to do with idiot. It kind of gives you an idea of what the environment could be like.

One time I was at Windham Mountain, a small mountain in the Catskills, 2.5 hour drive north of NYC. Lots of families go there, less idiots. I'm on the lift and a teenager and his friends in front of me start throwing snowballs at little kids coming down the mountain. When I got to the top they were zooming off. Back down near the lift line I was looking for him so I could point him out to security (then it's up to them if they want to do something, I did my part). I see him and some guy yelling at him. I walk over and apparently on the way down the snowball throwing teenager tried to jump over the guy's young son and hit him on the helmet with his ski. That guy was pissed! I would be. He was yelling how they all took off as fast as they could but luckily he was good enough to keep up with them. The teenager had a pretty distinct helmet (stickers). The staff tried to calm the father down and surrounded the teenager who looked scared (yeah, now you're scared). In about 10 minutes an officer showed up (small town so he probably wasn't far). After the father explained the situation, I chimed in and told him about the snowballs along with a couple of other people who saw him throw them as well. They took him away. Good job on everyone's part.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
There are a number of ski buses going from NYC to Mt. Snow. One of them who's clientele are mostly snowboarder allow them to drink on the way up and down. I've seen that bus company pass out beer out of a cooler. While I don't think this incident has less to do with alcohol and more to do with idiot. It kind of gives you an idea of what the environment could be like.

That's what I meant in my earlier post about turning a blind eye to drinking and other substance use/abuse in lift lines or on a mountain. In a PERFECT world, everybody would be polite, follow the skiers'/riders' rules, and not act like jerks. Alcohol and what not tend to disinhibit folks, and bring out the worst in some. And having skiers or boarders riding impaired probably doesn't help decrease accidents.

I'm not advocating turning patrol into cops, or ski hills into mini-nanny states. But perhaps SOME places need to put more emphasis on enforcing minimum standards, and pulling passes for this kind of behavior.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always wonder when I see things like this, why on earth would you pick on a stranger with two long sharp metal poles? That's just stupid.

And??? Mt. Snow serves alcohol also, what's your point?

I had my first Narragansett beer at Mt. Snow.

Both skiers and snowboarders drink on the mountain.

One time I was at Windham Mountain, a small mountain in the Catskills, 2.5 hour drive north of NYC. Lots of families go there, less idiots. I'm on the lift and a teenager and his friends in front of me start throwing snowballs at little kids coming down the mountain. When I got to the top they were zooming off. Back down near the lift line I was looking for him so I could point him out to security (then it's up to them if they want to do something, I did my part). I see him and some guy yelling at him. I walk over and apparently on the way down the snowball throwing teenager tried to jump over the guy's young son and hit him on the helmet with his ski. That guy was pissed! I would be. He was yelling how they all took off as fast as they could but luckily he was good enough to keep up with them. The teenager had a pretty distinct helmet (stickers). The staff tried to calm the father down and surrounded the teenager who looked scared (yeah, now you're scared). In about 10 minutes an officer showed up (small town so he probably wasn't far). After the father explained the situation, I chimed in and told him about the snowballs along with a couple of other people who saw him throw them as well. They took him away. Good job on everyone's part.
Kids and teens do stupid things... Blame the parents for their "time-outs" as punishments, where they don't learn true consequences until they become adults, and by that time, it's usually too late.

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
And??? Mt. Snow serves alcohol also, what's your point?

I had my first Narragansett beer at Mt. Snow.

Both skiers and snowboarders drink on the mountain.

Kids and teens do stupid things... Blame the parents for their "time-outs" as punishments, where they don't learn true consequences until they become adults, and by that time, it's usually too late.

My point is that they get a good head start with free beer. They make easy, even if they didn't plan on drinking or was on the fence. If you don't plan to go to the bar at the resort but they are handing them out on the way up you'll probably have a couple. If you have a bunch of people who already have a couple in them that could change a situation. I don't know if that happened to those people in the video but that bus has a reputation for being rowdy. Maybe the beer has nothing to do with it, maybe it does. I'm sure it doesn't help. One other thing is they only require someone to be 18 to buy a ticket and hop on the bus. Anyone under that age needs a letter from their parents/guardian. So now we have some people who don't drink regularly with a couple in them.

I am not implying that it has anything to do with what you ride. I'm just pointing out the fact that the clientele are predominately snowboarders because that's who they market to. I don't care what you wear on your feet, I expect kindness and respect from everyone.

Last edited:

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
That's what I meant in my earlier post about turning a blind eye to drinking and other substance use/abuse in lift lines or on a mountain. In a PERFECT world, everybody would be polite, follow the skiers'/riders' rules, and not act like jerks. Alcohol and what not tend to disinhibit folks, and bring out the worst in some. And having skiers or boarders riding impaired probably doesn't help decrease accidents.

I'm not advocating turning patrol into cops, or ski hills into mini-nanny states. But perhaps SOME places need to put more emphasis on enforcing minimum standards, and pulling passes for this kind of behavior.

I've been going there for many years as my local mountain, easy to get to for a day trip and I'm home by dinner time. That was the worst I've witnessed and while the father wanted to take a swing at him, he didn't. I've never seen a physical fight there (that doesn't mean it's never happened, I just haven't witnessed one) so not a bad record. If it happens only once in a while they probably don't focus on it in their training and maybe leave it up to judgement. The staff did do a good job this time keeping the dad from getting too close to the teenager and a couple stood around the teenager because they saw his friends run off. I don't know if that was training or common sense.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My point is that they get a good head start with free beer. They make easy, even if they didn't plan on drinking or was on the fence. If you don't plan to go to the bar at the resort but they are handing them out on the way up you'll probably have a couple. If you have a bunch of people who already have a couple in them that could change a situation. I don't know if that happened to those people in the video but that bus has a reputation for being rowdy. Maybe the beer has nothing to do with it, maybe it does. I'm sure it doesn't help. One other thing is they only require someone to be 18 to buy a ticket and hop on the bus. Anyone under that age needs a letter from their parents/guardian. So now we have some people who don't drink regularly with a couple in them.

I am not implying that it has anything to do with what you ride. I'm just pointing out the fact that the clientele are predominately snowboarders because that's who they market to. I don't care what you wear on your feet, I expect kindness and respect from everyone.
It's not free beer to begin with. It's part of the charter bus fare that is coordinated with the company and people who choose to use the charter bus

Much of the Southern California ski clubs use charter buses for their "local mountain" ski trips... and guess what? They serve beer and alcohol also, as part of the package.

It's nothing to be worked up over.

Plus, do you really want someone from NYC driving in the snow, whether what they incorrectly call "Upstate NY" or through actual upstate NY in VT?

Sponsor

Staff online