• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another snowboarder vs skier fight

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lift ops are not going to intervene, especially J1 personnel when we had them.

Patrol may not be trained law enforcement, but they do have precedent of pulling passes for ill behavior, so there's that.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why would a skier punch a snowboarder on the trail?

especially considering the skier has poles with a pointy metal tip.... so he's carrying a weapon that can be used to hit a snowboarder.

Doesn't add up

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Problem is where are the staff trained in conflict resolution and de-escalation? Yeah an older liftie might have been able to waive a rake or cane around and persuade everyone to backdown but what's in it for a youngster to get in the middle of that apart from the potential for an industrial injury?

I once took an Aeroflot flight in the 90s where the male cabin crew looked like ex military (or I guess not beyond the realms of possibility some moonlighted for the KGB). A bunch of Russian trawlermen boarded with the remnants of a bottle of duty free vodka each (and a TV under the other arm). Sure enough about 15 mins into the flight a punch up started. 6ft cabin crew guy took one look at them shrugged and trotted off to the front of the plane while they punched themselves out.
Generally a quick word break it up or lose your tickets is enough to change the tone to de-escalate, beyond that if it has to get physical, step back film turn over to the police and press charges.

As to Aeroflot, Russian, wait for it....Russian and Vodka....enough said. By the way how you de-escalate Russians more Vodka, just don’t run out or pass out first. Guess the plane low on stock and the staff let it de-escalate itself.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Patrol may not be trained law enforcement, but they do have precedent of pulling passes for ill behavior, so there's that.
Again shows a systematic problem, employees have no ownership or initiative to act for the company. So as a guest what are you paying them for, get rid if them and lower my ticket costs and increase your profits. Everything else is a free for all and be prepared for combat. :geek: ogwink

James

Out There
Instructor
I am not getting the sports jerseys reference. Can someone please explain? I see people wearing them on the slopes all the time.
Yep they’re there. Avoid.

I was once on a train out of Nyc and two guys next to each other in the next car just started punching each other hard. They were “friends”, drunk, and just started at it. The next stop the cops got on and questioned them. Apparently they were satisfied. They got off and we left with the two guys who stopped hitting each other, at least until they got off.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some ski resorts are magnets for this type of stuff and Mount Snow (think that is where this happened) is one of them. I’m normally skiing with my kids and they may look like punks but no way they’d ever do this kind of thing. Starts with the parents.......

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
onlookers to help you.
Take it from me. If you get into fisty-cuffs with a capable fighter, you will rarely find anyone who is willing to risk their neck to help you out. That goes for acquaintances and flat mates as well as on-lookers. A good friend might step in, if he's capable and not likely to get himself killed too, but that's about it. Yeah it can happen that an onlooker steps in, but it is extremely rare.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some ski resorts are magnets for this type of stuff and Mount Snow (think that is where this happened) is one of them. I’m normally skiing with my kids and they may look like punks but no way they’d ever do this kind of thing. Starts with the parents.......
Mt. Snow is located for the perfect mix of assholes from NY, NJ, CT and MA. Put them all together and...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
As to Aeroflot, Russian, wait for it....Russian and Vodka....enough said. By the way how you de-escalate Russians more Vodka, just don’t run out or pass out first. Guess the plane low on stock and the staff let it de-escalate itself.
Pretty much. After 10 mins of handbags alternating with drinking up they all fell asleep til we got to Moscow.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every time I see something like this happen, I think of 2 points that I’m certain of: 1-this isn’t the 1st and only time this guy has been aggressive with someone in public: and 2- he hasn’t run onto the right person yet to help him cure his behavior.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, after the fight is over. BTW, how do you know patrol didn’t pull passes?

Again shows a systematic problem, employees have no ownership or initiative to act for the company. So as a guest what are you paying them for, get rid if them and lower my ticket costs and increase your profits. Everything else is a free for all and be prepared for combat. :geek: ogwink
Yeah, it’s not like they have anything else to do or contribute. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm.

Was it here or epic where there were some folks that had adamant thoughts that ski areas should hire law enforcement? :nono:

Last edited:

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier

Yeah, it’s not like they have anything else to do or contribute. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm.

Was it here or epic where there were some folks that had adamant thoughts that ski areas should hire law enforcement? :nono:
At Sugar in NC the owner also happens to be the mayor, so law enforcement is present.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm under the impression that you're on the hook legally for charges and damages if you intervene in a fight to protect a stranger. I think self defense only applies to protecting yourself and family members under attack. If some stranger is beating up another stranger and you step in and someone gets harmed, you'll be sitting in jail next to the idiot who started the fight with the other stranger and likely to get sued by said idiot if you injured them.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm under the impression that you're on the hook legally for charges and damages if you intervene in a fight to protect a stranger. I think self defense only applies to protecting yourself and family members under attack. If some stranger is beating up another stranger and you step in and someone gets harmed, you'll be sitting in jail next to the idiot who started the fight with the other stranger and likely to get sued by said idiot if you injured them.

Not if you step in as a peacemaker. For sure if you step in as an aggressor.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Bottom line is there should be no tolerance to this violence, go after these clowns and throw them in jail.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have no idea whether patrol pulled passes in this case or not. In fact, I have no way of knowing whether patrol even talked to the players in that scuffle.

BTW: My point was not to comment negatively that patrol didn't do anything in that particular Mt. Snow case. My point was, lacking police presence, patrol has a air of authority on the mountain, especially compared to lift ops. That air of authority, whether it's welcome or not by patrol, comes from years of pulling passes when needed, responding to injuries, closing areas of the mountain for safety reasons. From a customer point of view, who else on the mountain is there that seems to be in charge?

BTW: I believe you are ski patrol if my memory serves me well from reading your posts in the past, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the work you folks do.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no idea whether patrol pulled passes in this case or not. In fact, I have no way of knowing whether patrol even talked to the players in that scuffle.

BTW: My point was not to comment negatively that patrol didn't do anything in that particular Mt. Snow case. My point was, lacking police presence, patrol has a air of authority on the mountain, especially compared to lift ops. That air of authority, whether it's welcome or not by patrol, comes from years of pulling passes when needed, responding to injuries, closing areas of the mountain for safety reasons. From a customer point of view, who else on the mountain is there that seems to be in charge?
Nonetheless, IME the most a patroller can do is wait for things to settle down a little, and contain it and keep others from joining in or getting hurt by the original participants. Going in and pulling people apart like a bar bouncer isn’t really required...most of the time. Patrollers aren’t hired for their ability to break up fights. If the fight doesn’t dissipate (and it pretty much always does), then call management and get local LE involved, and isolate the participants. I mean, it’s skiing - these things almost always settle down fairly quickly - people are pretty padded.

BTW: I believe you are ski patrol if my memory serves me well from reading your posts in the past, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the work you folks do.
Retired, but thanks.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
A few weeks (months?) back I was going for a walk at one of the Massachusetts state parks near me. There are signs posted that dogs need to be leashed, but they're generally ignored.

At any rate, two men were arriving with their dogs; one was leashed, one was not and the non-leashed dog was getting feisty with the leashed dog which led to screaming, shoving and ultimately punching between the two men regarding who's dog was at fault for this altercation.

Both men easily had 50+ pounds on me, so I wasn't able to step in to play peacekeeper, but other bystanders played the Good Samaritan role before things really got out of hand.

Point being... there are hotheads in all walks of life that operate on a short fuse and a lit match. I was at Okemo the Super Bowl Sunday where the undefeated Patriots were due to play the Giants. The proximity of southern VT to both the Boston and New York markets is no secret and I saw two or three fights break out in the liftlines that day between fans of the two teams.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Somehow this never stops Jack Reacher.

Sponsor

Staff online