• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any Alfa owners out there?

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the early car shopping stages and my heart wants an Alfa Giulia, but my head says Italian cars are not for the faint of heart.

Anyone out there with a Giulia care to share experiences?

Cross shopping vs an S3, also a potential money hog, but less risk of the entire dealer network leaving the country like Alfa did years back. :)
1626521745799.png

1626521790103.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean..anyone who would go Alfa is going to live with the niggles. Just like the old Milanos. There weren't any catastrophic failures with the QF, just typical sloppy issues. I've read a previous issue where they were trying to get times at the track and the car would just shut down. Then every light in the car would come on except the headlights. Just crazy stuff all due to software issues. Which can be remedied over time. The dealer network is also an issue. But like I say, anyone buying Alfa will overlook those things. There are other great cars out there..very similar..maybe a smarter play..but..they're not Italian.. :huh:ogsmile

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are other great cars out there..very similar..maybe a smarter play..but..they're not Italian.. :huh:ogsmile

What's on your list for a sports sedan?

My List:
  • Alfa Giulia
  • S3/S4 - the price delta between the two is smaller than expected in the used market, so these are both on the table
  • IS350 F sport

Off the list:
  • MB -not until I am 75+ years old ;)
  • BMW - owned one in the past, but the current styling and driving dynamics has me lukewarm on them .

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Inifinit Q50 Red Sport is a nice vehicle. Acura TLX Type S... The Audi S5 Sportback is a helluv an all-rounder.

For me..unless it's my fun car, any car that strands me is unforgivable in this day and age. That's a clear miss for the Alfa for me. Good as it may be, I can't trust it. Any car that strands me twice is gone...

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Old Alfa’s are a blast to drive -I have a friend with a’ 74 GTV and it’s a great driving experience. However, if you own a car like that you are or should be somewhat mechanically inclined. The new Alfa’s are beautiful cars but they are far more complex and given Alfa’s issues in the States I’d be hesitant to own one especially after it was 2-3 years old. If leasing makes sense for you and the dealer is close, I might consider that if you want an Alfa “fix”.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Alfas can be wonderful to drive......but you will always need something else reliable as well!! My ex had 2 GTVs, a 2000 and a 2001. The first was replaced after 4 months as a complete lemon, the second one lasted 2 years then started falling apart and destroying wheel bearings among other things,,,.. fortunately they were company lease cars so wasnt left picking up the cost. When they were running they were a great drive, probably the best handling FWD car I have ever driven. But absolutely no way I would touch one ...

from your list - agreed on the MB and BMW - and the Lexus is pretty soulless as well (i'm going to get flamed here i am sure but I always classify lexus owners as people who think of cars as they think of washing machines!:ogbiggrin:) .. So that leaves the S3/S4. The S3 is basically a Golf R in a different suit. The S4 - assume the supercharged V6 version with the DSG - is more like a RWD biased chassis and would be my choice. I had a Q7 with that engine and it was a pretty sweet motor

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Infiniti does nothing for me, I am tempted by the Acura, I feel like Honda can sometimes capture some magic in their cars, though it being a new model means it's likely out of my budget. The IS350 seems like it could be a compelling drive, though a bit more vanilla than the Alfa and the Audi.

I will spend a couple days driving them all to see what stirs me after time behind the wheel. I am not in a rush, which is good as I want some specifics on the vehicle, 1st thing is color. Blue or red are top choice, all of the cars I'm interested in come in a *fantastic* bright blue, Audi has a good red, and Alfa does too, of course. The lots here are full of white/silver/grey/black, none of which do i want....unless a compelling grey with a red interior pops up.

I do prefer the S4 mechanicals, the S3 is a FWD biased system (Haldex) while the S4 has a more rear-bias system in it. Audi must churn out way more S4s, used prices on the 2 cars, despite the $10-15k difference when new, almost evaporates on the used lot. Shame though, the S3 is the perfect size car for me, the same size, nearly, as my old A4.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just went through buying a car in this class recently, so figure this is as good a place as any to share - maybe it will help... drove the Acura TLX and ILX, Audi A4/A5, BMW 330, Volvo S60, and looked at MB, Infiniti, and Lexus. I made my decision as much on the interior and features as on the driving/dynamics, so YMMV if you're more about driving feel. I wound up with a BMW 330i XDrive that arrives in early August.

It's a weird time to buy a car with limited stock and high used prices on a lot of models...
  • I ruled out MB and Infiniti just looking at them at the dealer.
  • I considered the Alfa, but had some of the same reservations noted in this thread.
  • The Lexus dealer had zero IS's to look at or drive... literally none, and was getting about 1 a month in. I've driven one before a couple of years ago, and was thinking it would be lower on the list, so I ruled it out.
  • I've had an Acura TSX for 13 years... and I didn't like the newer Acura models. The TLX was too big and the ILX seemed too small and cheap. I hate the infotainment touch pad interface too; And visibility and driving position in the TLX didn't do it any favors IMO.
  • The Volvo dealer had 1 S60, but it was the version I wanted to drive. It was surprisingly nice.... very nicely designed. Ultimately, it wasn't clearly better than the others, and felt a little more "laggy" driving (turbo and throttle response, and steering response). But it might have had the nicest interior.
  • The Audi dealer here also had very few cars in stock - I think like 6 A5 hatchbacks, and about the same number of A4s, and flat out told me they would not move much on price, and that if we ordered one I'd have to pay sticker. I did enjoy driving the A5 hatchback I test drove, but was disappointed in some of the interior features and space available.
  • The BMW drove very well, IMO. I've read that it's overly stiff, but I didn't find it objectionable, and it felt more like my TSX than other cars I drove, which probably made me like it more subjectively. Everything "felt" better screwed together too - but again that is subjective.
  • Finally, the BMW dealer had lot more in stock (20+), negotiated down a reasonable percentage, and was willing to order exactly what I wanted at my negotiated price. So I paid significantly less than the Audi too. (I suspect the Audi's are just selling much better than the BMWs here right now.)
Others to consider... Jaguar XE, Kia Stinger, Genesis G70.

Last edited:

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
@bbbradley the highlighted portion is exactly why I passed on the QF Stelvio . I did not want to take a Alfa to a chrysler dealership for work. You said that you are not looking at a QF, I'm sure they share a lot of the same FCA tech across the whole line.
I mean..anyone who would go Alfa is going to live with the niggles. Just like the old Milanos. There weren't any catastrophic failures with the QF, just typical sloppy issues. I've read a previous issue where they were trying to get times at the track and the car would just shut down. Then every light in the car would come on except the headlights. Just crazy stuff all due to software issues. Which can be remedied over time. The dealer network is also an issue. But like I say, anyone buying Alfa will overlook those things. There are other great cars out there..very similar..maybe a smarter play..but..they're not Italian.. :huh:ogsmile

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
@bbbradley the highlighted portion is exactly why I passed on the QF Stelvio . I did not want to take a Alfa to a chrysler dealership for work. You said that you are not looking at a QF, I'm sure they share a lot of the same FCA tech across the whole line.

The most convenient Alfa dealer to me is also a Lamborghini, Bentley, and Rolls shop; not a Chrysler in sight. :roflmao:

Sponsor