• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any Alfa owners out there?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Genesis G70.
Not that these are on our radar but from what I read, people are really impressed with them. I'd suggest as least a drive by and maybe a test drive.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just went through buying a car in this class recently, so figure this is as good a place as any to share - maybe it will help... drove the Acura TLX and ILX, Audi A4/A5, BMW 330, Volvo S60, and looked at MB, Infiniti, and Lexus. I made my decision as much on the interior and features as on the driving/dynamics, so YMMV if you're more about driving feel. I wound up with a BMW 330i XDrive that arrives in early August.

It's a weird time to buy a car with limited stock and high used prices on a lot of models...
The Volvo dealer had 1 S60, but it was the version I wanted to drive. It was surprisingly nice.... very nicely designed. Ultimately, it wasn't clearly better than the others, and felt a little more "laggy" driving (turbo and throttle response, and steering response). But it might have had the nicest interior.
  • The Audi dealer here also had very few cars in stock - I think like 6 A5 hatchbacks, and about the same number of A4s, and flat out told me they would not move much on price, and that if we ordered one I'd have to pay sticker. I did enjoy driving the A5 hatchback I test drove, but was disappointed in some of the interior features and space available.
  • The BMW drove very well, IMO. I've read that it's overly stiff, but I didn't find it objectionable, and it felt more like my TSX than other cars I drove, which probably made me like it more subjectively. Everything "felt" better screwed together too - but again that is subjective.
  • Finally, the BMW dealer had lot more in stock (20+), negotiated down a reasonable percentage, and was willing to order exactly what I wanted at my negotiated price. So I paid significantly less than the Audi too. (I suspect the Audi's are just selling much better than the BMWs here right now.)
Others to consider... Jaguar XE, Kia Stinger, Genesis G70.
It’s the same here in LA- Audi’s are in short supply. That said, they are my favorite of the German makes in terms of performance and styling. Our Q5 ( lease , 3.2 L ) was a great car . We also had an XC 60 - as you say, not up to par with the Audi in terms of performance but as you also say, the Scandinavian interior is great. The new version is even nicer.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had an Alfa Alfetta GT (GTV) back in the 1970s. A delight to drive but many reliability issues. I never went into the dealer parts dept and walked out with everthing I needed. Parts always had to be ordered. The battery was in the trunk and the car didn't like to start in very cold weather. I remember a ski trip to Stowe when I had to remove the battery each evening and bring it in to the motel room to keep it warm so the car would start in the morning.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's on your list for a sports sedan?

My List:
  • S3/S4 - the price delta between the two is smaller than expected in the used market, so these are both on the table.
Off the list:
  • BMW - owned one in the past, but the current styling and driving dynamics has me lukewarm on them .
I'd own the S4 if they ever went wagon again in the USA.

The new BMW 3 has reportedly made strides in dynamics. I have a hall pass to buy an M3 wagon, should that ever occur.

The Audi S5 Sportback is a helluv an all-rounder.

As a bike nut, this car merits a lot of attention. A friend of a friend owns one, and they drive well. A bike fits in back. You can put a bike up top using a rear rack only, and a Sea Sucker rear holder on the rear window, which allows for open sunroof and little wind noise.

Cadillac CT5-V... Not as bad as they used to be...

I read somewhere that these sold out in less than a minute?!

Enjoy the hunt!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Audi S5 Sportback is a helluv an all-rounder.
I was somewhat disappointed in the storage space of the Sportback. Sure it's a hatchback, but that seemed to me to let them not maximize the available space - it's kind of narrow. My golf clubs would not fit across and would barely fit diagonally with the back seat up. (I know - you don't need a hatchback for golf clubs; and that's not why I was considering a hatchback. But my clubs live in my car half the year, so it factors in for me.)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, it ain't a wagon... However, in context as a useful sport sedan, an S5 ain't too bad. I'd prefer an M3 wagon like @Tom K. We don't even get a BMW wagon anymore here.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was somewhat disappointed in the storage space of the Sportback. Sure it's a hatchback, but that seemed to me to let them not maximize the available space - it's kind of narrow. My golf clubs would not fit across and would barely fit diagonally with the back seat up. (I know - you don't need a hatchback for golf clubs; and that's not why I was considering a hatchback. But my clubs live in my car half the year, so it factors in for me.)
WTF? I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk of my Miata and that is *much* smaller than the S5.

There was a very nice red S4 at the local dealer that sat for a month or so, it finally sold. Probably for the best as I was tempted to go take a lookie lookie at it. :) I am disappointed Audi couldn't find a way to make the S3 drivetrain more sport-oriented. I know the packaging limits it, but I've heard of several FWD cars (ugh...) that do amazing things with e-diffs and such.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
WTF? I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk of my Miata and that is *much* smaller than the S5.

There was a very nice red S4 at the local dealer that sat for a month or so, it finally sold. Probably for the best as I was tempted to go take a lookie lookie at it. :) I am disappointed Audi couldn't find a way to make the S3 drivetrain more sport-oriented. I know the packaging limits it, but I've heard of several FWD cars (ugh...) that do amazing things with e-diffs and such.
Could you fit a set straight across in the Miata? I'd actually be surprised if that were the case. I'm sure you could get 2 or more sets into the A5/S5, just in terms of space.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe it’s time for a mid engined Corvette?
At least it’ll fit one set of clubs.

Last edited:
TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Could you fit a set straight across in the Miata? I'd actually be surprised if that were the case. I'm sure you could get 2 or more sets into the A5/S5, just in terms of space.
That's the only way they fit in that trunk. :) I had to remove the drivers from both bags, but two adult size sets of 14 clubs in carry bags with stands fits.

The S5 has far more space than the Miata, just surprised the S5 cargo area isn't wide enough for a set of clubs sideways.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe it’s time for a mid engined Corvette?
I actually like the new Corvette, it's the only one I like of all the 8 iterations, but it's not a ski/winter friendly vehicle.

James

Out There
Instructor
I guess the world is doomed to incredibly complicated transmissions that are electronically integrated with everything else.

God forbid there’s a car with a straight forward mechanical tranny. Spend some time on a defeatable clutch/torque converter interface for traffic. Defeatable in if the brain and servos go, you drive it like an old manual.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had to remove the drivers from both bags
Well then you couldn't actually fit them. :) At least not to my thinking. Having to take the driver out of the bag means it doesn't fit.

According to some things online, like the 2019 image below, the "trunk" on the A5 Sportback is about a meter wide, or about 40 inches.

1626621398028.png

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well then you couldn't actually fit them. :) At least not to my thinking. Having to take the driver out of the bag means it doesn't fit.

1) There were two full sets of clubs in the trunk when I arrived at the golf course, so by my analysis, they *did* fit.
2) 2000 Miata trunk dimensions: W 55", L 21" H 10.5"; Titleist driver length 45" --> It does fit!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@dbostedo what did you finally get...or is still on your short list?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What tires?
18" wheels, and the only options were all-weather vs. summer. Either way they are run-flats. So I went with all-weather. They do sell winter ones too, of course, if you want to pay for them.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just back from a grocery store run...spied a (proper) red Giulia in the lot... :yeah: It is a visually compelling mode of transportation.

Sponsor

Staff online