• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any all-DPS ski quiver folks out there?

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say, I am really hoping a pair of Lotus 138s find their way into my quiver in the near future.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
THANK YOU! Great to hear from you! You have a good memory, yes, Yellow Gentian….we’re you demoing the K2 Mindbender 108…just guessing? I was a bit shocked when I saw the price of the new DPS Kaizen….$2000 flat, but, it apparently will do it all, replacing both the Pagoda and the Foundation series.
When demoing skis, tuning can make or break a skis performance, and demo skis are not always tuned properly, or tuned-detuned to your profile. As an example, the DPS Foundation series came from the factory with .70 bottom and 1 degree side, many shops use 1 and 2 on these skis (as I saw listed on a popular tuning web site) creating a overly aggressive edge, making them edgy, easy to chatter, and difficult to ski. For the advanced and above skier, learning to properly tune your own skis, identifying the factory edge angles, and understanding what to adjust, is an often overlooked skill. I‘ve spoiled my wife, she now asks me to make sure I use the diamond files to finish her edges when I tune…..happy wife-happy life!
In my advancing age, I decided some years back to sharpen my carving skills, and ski fewer old-big-cut up bumps. My joints thank me! Still love soft or powder bumps, and off-piste terrain, and the DPS F100rp, and the Koala 118 seem to check all the right boxes for me. Sorry the Foundation series is going away!
It's interesting what you say about this 100 RP ski liking a less aggressive edge bevel tune.
I also tune my own skis (have for many decades).
I usually ski what I buy before changing things. (Why fix what works?)
Still, it's rare if ever that I would recognize that a ski likes to be tuned to .7/1, almost a tune from a bygone era.

If I bought the DPS 100 C2 Piste 184 ski at the bargain price listed above, eventually I would probably have shifted to a 1/2 bevel tune, a problem for the sister ski you like so much. Thus I might (or might not) have ended up tuning mine incorrectly, if what you say about the RP version is also true for the C2 Piste version.

(However, since the Piste C2 version is designed to be more aggressive on edge, for piste, it might well be that a 1/2 tune would eventually prove appropriate, not sure - at least for my profile.)

This season, I have already put all my cards in on other skis (Bode's Peak skis and Atomic Revo FIS GS 188/30 racing skis, mostly) so no cards left for even a great DPS bargain, until next year, probably. And next year, the most likely DPS ski would seemingly cost $2000. Go figure.

Craig@Vail

Booting up
Skier
It's interesting what you say about this 100 RP ski liking a less aggressive edge bevel tune.
I also tune my own skis (have for many decades).
I usually ski what I buy before changing things. (Why fix what works?)
Still, it's rare if ever that I would recognize that a ski likes to be tuned to .7/1, almost a tune from a bygone era.

If I bought the DPS 100 C2 Piste 184 ski at the bargain price listed above, eventually I would probably have shifted to a 1/2 bevel tune, a problem for the sister ski you like so much. Thus I might (or might not) have ended up tuning mine incorrectly, if what you say about the RP version is also true for the C2 Piste version.

(However, since the Piste C2 version is designed to be more aggressive on edge, for piste, it might well be that a 1/2 tune would eventually prove appropriate, not sure - at least for my profile.)

This season, I have already put all my cards in on other skis (Bode's Peak skis and Atomic Revo FIS GS 188/30 racing skis, mostly) so no cards left for even a great DPS bargain, until next year, probably. And next year, the most likely DPS ski would seemingly cost $2000. Go figure.
The .7 bottom and 1 side edge angle applies to the Foundation series skis. DPS does vary their edge angles depending on the series. You may be able to confirm with a chat on their website concerning your Piste C2. I skied all four of my Foundation skis with the untouched factory tune, and the .7/1, or .75/1 subsequent tunes made them ski like new, including both RP and C2. My wife gives a thumbs up concerning the tune for her three DPS Foundation skis as well…..

Dirk Suchy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
DPS is a brand that has tried to develop a full quiver full of skis for men and women for the past 6-8 years, but every time they build a really good ski that is 78, 82, 87, 94, etc... they just do not sell to the DPS customer which is a shame because two of my absolute favorite skis from them were the trainer 78 and the Pagoda Piste 94 C2. In the coming year they will be dropping all of their skis under 100 to rethink the idea. They're getting back to the core of their core customer and develop skis 100 and above.
Starting with the new Kaizen 100 and 105.

That being said, the Pagoda Piste 94 C2 is a solid and stable ski in the conditions you're talking about. I've not been on the 100.
The upcoming Kaizen 100 is really really fun.
So looking forward to the first reviews of the Kaizen 112. We still love our Wailer 112RP which you advised. Best ski ever! Love the Hellbents too but the Wailers… heaven! Next year we want to visit Japan and are looking for replacement for our Wailers. Hmm, what to do

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tick Tock. Ready for winter. I would like to try the new Kaizen 105

Attachments

• mydps.jpg
    mydps.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 19

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ and the 1st hint of winter stoke arrived this week. Powder Daze email. Hard to believe the event is only a month from now already. I would imagine you will be able to demo at the Loveland event early season. That's where I demo'd the Alchemist 106. Not sure if they still do the Keystone event.
No, they haven't been. The rep's fleet of demo skis just got too damaged at Keystone, year after year.
Keystone has bottle neck spots on the mountain, especially early season, that tend to coincide with
exposed rocky ledge terrain that gets skied off more quickly, and destructively.
(Things might be different now, dunno, if they went back to it: the demo event stopped some years before
the new Keystone snow-making setup went in.)

Another problem for the reps: they found that getting demo skis in shape, at least in this area, became harder and harder:
the Wintersteiger and Montana machines don't really flatten the skis well enough for demo performance, or properly tune them;
for the most successful, one associate at least for each brand had to put in a week per demo event, of flattening and tuning by hand
after running skis through the Montana machines (e.g., in Avon; or Evergreen), preferably - since the Wintersteiger machines did/do even worse.
The turnover - and added cost - for this particular associate job was greater than the reps could handle,
for as many demo events as they were doing. So, again, they've found it best to cut back.
(Of course, the situation(s) for each brand rep varied some, different choices possible, depending.)

The last problem was they experienced certain difficulties dealing with Epic/Keystone,
so I think ending that event may have been mutual.
(Management-wise, Epic tends to like to control - and own - everything that passes through its facilities,
so to speak. And Heaven help your small town B&B management should Epic get a chance to acquire you.)

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On a more encouraging note, Hoosier Pass above Breckenridge got 5" of fresh powder by morning one day this past week,
I was told by a friend who happened to be driving it early. :)

Down below, in Summit County, it's rained every day since.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So looking forward to the first reviews of the Kaizen 112. We still love our Wailer 112RP which you advised. Best ski ever! Love the Hellbents too but the Wailers… heaven! Next year we want to visit Japan and are looking for replacement for our Wailers. Hmm, what to do
I did not get on the 112 because they didn't have my length available, but I think some of our other testers got on them.

Sponsor

Staff online