• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any Americans Travel to Canada Recently?

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Looking at snow patterns for my mid december ski trip, I’ve decided to head to Banff. I’ve read all the Canadian government COVID protocol information (as well as the resort info for Sunshine/LL). I’m fully vaccinated/boosted. My understanding is that I need to complete the ArriveCan app forms for my trip and get a negative PCR test within 72 hrs of my flight. Sounds pretty similar to the state of Hawaii’s protocol I did a few weeks ago, so i think I should be fine. I am just looking to hear any personal experiences to avoid any unexpected hiccups in the process. Is there anything I’m missing to make this a smooth trip?

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's the drill. I went recently. The only thing that might gum things up is if your'e trying to get a free COVID test - you may not get it back in time. It took us two tries. The first time we went to to Rite-Aid and didn't get our results for 7 days. Tried again two weeks later but went to CVS and they had the results to us in 24 hours. We had nothing riding on a guaranteed result time as we were just visiting my wife's parents in Vancouver. We're going to Whistler the week before Christmas and I'll try the free route again but if the results aren't not back in time we'll have to pay for tests. We drove across the border and it was a breeze. I don't imagine flying will be any more difficult. Just have your test results available and your ArriveCan info completed and you should be good to go.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The rules are a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure or a positive test more than 14 days prior to departure (but less than 6 months). With a PCR test you could test positive for up to 6 months after having COVID. In addition you may have had asymptomatic COVID. I would suggest getting a PCR test more than 14 days prior to leaving. I went to Newfoundland in September as a safe guard I got a PCR test 17 days before leaving, I tested positive, totally asymptomatic. Given the positive test 17 days before I was good to go there and back, remember you need to retest before coming back into the US.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also ask your, your spouses, and your kid's pcp. My kid has got 2 free same day results pcp tests at his pediatrician. Both negative btw.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at snow patterns for my mid december ski trip, I’ve decided to head to Banff. I’ve read all the Canadian government COVID protocol information (as well as the resort info for Sunshine/LL). I’m fully vaccinated/boosted. My understanding is that I need to complete the ArriveCan app forms for my trip and get a negative PCR test within 72 hrs of my flight. Sounds pretty similar to the state of Hawaii’s protocol I did a few weeks ago, so i think I should be fine. I am just looking to hear any personal experiences to avoid any unexpected hiccups in the process. Is there anything I’m missing to make this a smooth trip?
Did the trip last month. You are spot on. Here is a link and it walks you thru what you need to do. CA COVID testing requirements
Answer a few questions and you are on your way. Dont forget to check the entry requirements for the US on your return trip.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
My wife and I have visited Canada, 3 times since the land border was opened. For the PCR Covid test, we had to drive 1.75 hr west to Seattle. The tests are no-cost and results are back within 24 hrs or less. Using the ArriveCan app. During our first trip in early August, we were asked what was our isolation plan if we became inflected with Covid. We told the border agent that we would isolate in our condo.

At our border crossing is in eastern Washington, there are rarely lines. With so few USA citizens visiting, we were given random Covid self-tests. The tests are easy to use and we dropped the test kit at an approved nearby pharmacy.

Spirou

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For a trip to Whistler, would it be better to fly into Seattle and rent a car and drive, or fly into Vancouver and take bus. Driving across the border does not required a return COVID test. Flying back from Vancouver to USA would require a COVID test, not sure where to get one in Whistler.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I just looked through the WB site for some information on this. I know the Tremblant site has a section for where to get a test. Kind of surprising it doesn't. Guess they don't want you to leave!

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
For a trip to Whistler, would it be better to fly into Seattle and rent a car and drive, or fly into Vancouver and take bus. Driving across the border does not required a return COVID test. Flying back from Vancouver to USA would require a COVID test, not sure where to get one in Whistler.
For return to US via air, you can actually just buy a video test kit in advance (you can purchase it yourself in the US and bring it with you, then do the test when you are here). US only requires antigen test for flying back, so makes it much easier. I’d also check if Vancouver airport has testing onsite. Calgary does rapid testing at the airport which makes return flights to countries that require testing very easy… you can just show up to the airport a little early and get it done there. I know lots of people who have done this and they reported it was very easy and fast… again I don’t know if this is being done at YVR, but I suspect it is.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
Thanks so much for the info. God willing and the creek doesn't rise, I will be doing some powder highway in Feb.
The rules are a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure or a positive test more than 14 days prior to departure (but less than 6 months). With a PCR test you could test positive for up to 6 months after having COVID. In addition you may have had asymptomatic COVID. I would suggest getting a PCR test more than 14 days prior to leaving. I went to Newfoundland in September as a safe guard I got a PCR test 17 days before leaving, I tested positive, totally asymptomatic. Given the positive test 17 days before I was good to go there and back, remember you need to retest before coming back into the US.
Guess I better get a PCR test now as well as one right before the flight.

For return to US via air, you can actually just buy a video test kit in advance (you can purchase it yourself in the US and bring it with you, then do the test when you are here). US only requires antigen test for flying back, so makes it much easier. I’d also check if Vancouver airport has testing onsite. Calgary does rapid testing at the airport which makes return flights to countries that require testing very easy… you can just show up to the airport a little early and get it done there. I know lots of people who have done this and they reported it was very easy and fast… again I don’t know if this is being done at YVR, but I suspect it is.
The tip about getting it in the airport on the way back is great. I will be going through Calgary.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Calgary and Toronto were the only airports open for international travel last year. So not surprised that Calgary is offering the test. They were the first to do a trial on testing for the ArrivCan app.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
That reminds me of the Strine map. My australian friend said my map was messed and showed me this one.
I haven't flown in a while, so all this info is quite helpful to me.

australia-centered.jpg

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Guess I better get a PCR test now as well as one right before the flight.
FYI the Canada requirement isn't technically for a PCR test, it's a "molecular" test... so there are other accepted rapid molecular tests that will get you results quicker than a PCR, just check the Canada.gov website for acceptable types of tests. If you are near any Walgreens, they offer the IDNow test which is an accepted test for entry into Canada... it's an NAAT test that gets you results same day (I used it myself in the summer to cross the border)... just make sure you don't use their antigen test for on the way into Canada.

Go West Skier

Booting up
Skier
Just an FYI. I am traveling to Whistler this winter... they are charging $250 for the required COVID test at the resort before departure. A money grab if you ask me. Cheaper in Vancouver.

Just an FYI. I am traveling to Whistler this winter... they are charging $250 for the required COVID test at the resort before departure. A money grab if you ask me. Cheaper in Vancouver.
I'll be there in a few weeks. We always fly to SeaTac and drive up from there so no test required to drive back. One of the guys in our group is using a clinic in the village but didn't mention $250? Sounds kind of steep. Need to take the PCR 72hrs before driving in and it's free at CVS. Plenty of snow in Whistler!

I've done both for about 10 years now, except last year of course. Driving from SeaTac is as easy as flying into VAN especially if you are with others and can switch off driving. It's about 2hrs to the border. Grab a bite, then another 2 to Whistler.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid