• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any early reviews of the Patagonia R1 "Air Zip Neck"?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great conversation on midlayers happening here...https://www.skitalk.com/threads/mid-layer-recommendations.22344/

Got me interested in poking around new tech and found that Patagonia has a new R1 with the Air tech that appears similar to Capilene air hoody. Curious if anyone has checked it out?

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
awesome report, thanks.

the best quote for me is this (i.e no real point in eventually getting it over what I already use)

"R1 Air - used for skiing or around the house. More breathable than the nano-air but warmer than regular R1. Mostly used as mid layer in colder weather. For the weight, you might as well get a nano air or down jacket for more warmth. Add in the requirement for a wind shell and the weight offset is a no-brainer."

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't speak to the Air, but I got the R1 techface jacket and love it. Super light, warm, and great wind resistance. I've used it as a mid layer, a running jacket, and an out and about jacket. I wish I had the hoody as well.

I have an older generation R1 jacket and this version is not only lighter but much thinner.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Dougb how does R1 tech stack against Houdini? Houdini is my go to do-everything jacket. Running, climbing, hiking, camping, etc.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dougb how does R1 tech stack against Houdini? Houdini is my go to do-everything jacket. Running, climbing, hiking, camping, etc.

I don't know about the Houdini. I have the Torrentshell which is also a great windbreaker that stuffs into its own pocket. But the R1 Techface is much more comfortable.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Pretty different. R1 techface insulates. Houdini's only insulation properties is wind blocking and less breathable. I use my houdini for a ton, the R1 Techface makes sense when you need wind block and some insulation say, cold weather hiking vs cold weather running (houdini).

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty different. R1 techface insulates. Houdini's only insulation properties is wind blocking and less breathable. I use my houdini for a ton, the R1 Techface makes sense when you need wind block and some insulation say, cold weather hiking vs cold weather running (houdini).
That’s my question tho. Should I pick R1 hoody + Houdini or R1 Tech for outdoor activities? Is tech face that much more breatheable than Houdini?

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Totally different. Breathable v. windshell. You could use both and have a cool set up for Spring to Fall (Midwest benchmark) when the wind picks up. But they're not the same.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
That’s my question tho. Should I pick R1 hoody + Houdini or R1 Tech for outdoor activities? Is tech face that much more breatheable than Houdini?
See my other post. They're not the same. Houdini is not breathable.

I would do the R1Hoody + Houdini over the R1 Tech or I would do the R1 Tech and Houdini. In both cases, houdini is your windshirt/shell..

As an aside, I love the R2Techface for ski base layering as a back up/substitute to the Nano Air Hoody.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I climb, bike and run in my Houdini in cooler to cold weather. Never had an issue with breathability. R1 hoodie + Houdini is my go to early spring, last fall climbing combo, use them successfully in Zion/Yosemite/Red Rock. I carry my Arcteryx Atom LT, I would like to have a lighter combo for a wider range of climate and use. Not sure if R1 Tech or R2 tech is a better layer.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I climb, bike and run in my Houdini in cooler to cold weather. Never had an issue with breathability. R1 hoodie + Houdini is my go to early spring, last fall climbing combo, use them successfully in Zion/Yosemite/Red Rock. I carry my Arcteryx Atom LT, I would like to have a lighter combo for a wider range of climate and use. Not sure if R1 Tech or R2 tech is a better layer.
hmm...probably R1 Tech with layers over R2. R2 can warm you up. I don't think of R2 as light. I wear it right now in Midwest 20 degrees and wool baselayer and find it comfortable. I have the Atom LT as well and even though not the same, the Atom is closer to the r2 warmth v. R1 layering. Also, possibly wear the Houdini under the Atom or R1 v, over it if needed, sounds weird but can work as a heat retention option.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as Patagonia , I have a nano air, R1, and Better Sweater. I also have an Outdoor Research Ascendant hoody and a Freeride Systems R1 Hoody
The Patagonia R1 gets the most use with the Better Sweater being used on the coldest days.

Sponsor

Staff online