• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any other plantar fasciitis sufferers?

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why on earth would you want to run? Is there a mountain lion chasing you?
:duck::duck:

Is that similar to the Feetures sock I linked above? I really like those for every day use when I know I'll be on my feet a lot.

I LOVE the Theragun for this!
Ha! Wish I knew why I ran....keeps me lean but while good for your heart and cardio...can be tough on the body especially as we age.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is fascinating because walking around barefoot couldn't be worse for me on a hard floor. Obviously there are various causes to plantar fasciitis but the twisting of the plantar fascia is part of the equation and your foot morphology influences (and your muscle architecture...likely not stretched enough for me) the way you walk, run and land on your feet as you move. He took my orthotics out and set them on the table and the bottom didn't lay flat anymore..rather they rocked side to side which is essentially what my foot is doing in the shoe. For running shoes, I've always run in a neutral-ish shoe with some stability bias but not a full blown stability shoe. I also move my orthotics around between hiking, dress and athletic shoes because they feel so much better. It think most of us stretch our calves pretty religiously..I've never really been able to tell whether that helps or not. Gonna stretch and theragun while it settles down...not a ton else to do right now.
You seem to have way more knowledge on this than me. For all I know my situation was resolving without the PT’s approach. I feel like it’s almost a vax/anti-vax situation where the contrary opinion could be based not on science but the fact that those prescribing make money on orthotics. I can only relay my experience. In 20 or so years I’ve avoided footware and orthotics in the house and haven’t had a recurrence.

Good luck to those suffering, it’s no fun.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You seem to have way more knowledge on this than me. For all I know my situation was resolving without the PT’s approach. I feel like it’s almost a vax/anti-vax situation where the contrary opinion could be based not on science but the fact that those prescribing make money on orthotics. I can only relay my experience. In 20 or so years I’ve avoided footware and orthotics in the house and haven’t had a recurrence.

Good luck to those suffering, it’s no fun.
Thx yeah...a lot of different ways to skin this cat for sure. And unlike the vax/anti-vax debate...none of what I do or don't do will affect anyone else! :golfclap:. I'm pretty confident I can get this under control. Its remarkable how common it is even amongst people who aren't runners.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
I had it years ago and finally solved it by stretching my calves every hour on the hour for weeks on end. Now I stretch them every morning before I take any steps and have had no issues for years. I lean against a wall and do a very slow and gradual 2 minute stretch.

The diagnosis is so common and everyone's response to therapy seems so variable that you've gotta wonder whether there are 100 different foot problems that all get thrown into the plantar fasciitis waste basket. Which could certainly explain my story. A podiatrist diagnosed me, but I have always been a little skeptical since there are usually no objective findings.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the body can only express reactions to too much stress in so many ways. all that stuff is connected and it all influences each other in one way or another. For some it's a dysfunction in the foot bones themselves. Whether it's a dropped arch, over pronation in their gait, or shoes that don't allow bones of fee to move naturally. It can all affect the tissues in the foot and when it's bad enough the body can only respond in so many ways.

For others it's calf/achilles problems, for others it's higher up, hamstring or hip. Had another guy scoff at that idea when I told him I added hamstring work. No way he said, ,so we did the old school straight leg raiser and a little dorsifelxion to his foot and watched his hamstring light up and I said, still think it's not connected? Tend to see it move higher up the chain the more sedentary the person is generally speaking.

what can cause inflammation in the bottom of the foot? chronic stress, acute trauma, poor diet, weak soft tissue to begin with, work surfaces, footwear, medications etc. Toss in other variables, like we all have different thresholds. If our tissue doesn't hit a certain threshold, you don't feel it anyway and if you don't feel it, you likely don't care. Make a change to one variable on an individual it might be enough to bring it under threshold and they're happy as can be. Lots of people have foot dysfunction with or without orthotics and

orthotics are easy to try, assess the foot and make 'em. Some like rigid and have lots of good reasons for it. Some like one's that have more flex and have good reasons for it. Many people have been helped by both. Many have been helped by neither.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For others it's calf/achilles problems, for others it's higher up, hamstring or hip. Had another guy scoff at that idea when I told him I added hamstring work. No way he said, ,so we did the old school straight leg raiser and a little dorsifelxion to his foot and watched his hamstring light up and I said, still think it's not connected?

LOL every time someone talks hamstrings I can't help but flash to that video NBC/Olympics did on Monika Hojnisz - hamstrings 33% stronger than quads. I know, like, zero guys getting within 30% of 1:1 let alone stronger.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL every time someone talks hamstrings I can't help but flash to that video NBC/Olympics did on Monika Hojnisz - hamstrings 33% stronger than quads. I know, like, zero guys getting within 30% of 1:1 let alone stronger.

And it’s in most cases a good thing because they might have to spend half their waking time stretching them.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bears repeating. Avoid pumping more steroids into your feet.
I don't think the op understands how generous the steroid injections are.
And it's disappointing that doctors still recommend them.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What shots did you have?
You should know that steroids will weaken tendons and ligaments and there's a lifetime limit of 3 in a given area.
A steroid injection directly into a tendon or ligament can temporarily weaken that tendon or ligament and can increase the risk of rupture for perhaps a few weeks after that injection. It looks like 2 weeks after injection, tendon strength is back to the same as prior to injection. Activity modification is a 1st line recommendation for problems like plantar fasciitis and can decrease that risk of rupture. There is no lifetime limit of 3 injections in an area. There are people who get steroid injections into the same joint every 3-4 months for years on end without evidence of long term weakening of the joint or tendons/ligaments of that joint. While it is common practice to limit the amount and frequency of injections directly into tendons and ligaments, there's no definitive data to support this practice. Plantar fascia steroid injections are unproven (much like night splints, walking boots, ultrasound therapy, custom orthotics) and generally considered a 2nd line treatment after the typical, conservative treatment methods have failed after several weeks to months.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think the op understands how generous the steroid injections are.
And it's disappointing that doctors still recommend them.
Yes, there are doctors who will inject steroids into just about anything. However, I think that practice is generally frowned upon. Steroid injections should be offered as a temporary, symptomatic pain relief option when more conservative, non-invasive treatments have failed or not provided adequate symptom relief. For joint injections, there are specific indications for providing those injections. If used outside of those parameters, it is an off label use which is done with injections and medications very frequently. Definitely exercise caution if you see a doctor who initially recommends an injection without recommending more conservative treatment first.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A steroid injection directly into a tendon or ligament can temporarily weaken that tendon or ligament and can increase the risk of rupture for perhaps a few weeks after that injection. It looks like 2 weeks after injection, tendon strength is back to the same as prior to injection. Activity modification is a 1st line recommendation for problems like plantar fasciitis and can decrease that risk of rupture. There is no lifetime limit of 3 injections in an area. There are people who get steroid injections into the same joint every 3-4 months for years on end without evidence of long term weakening of the joint or tendons/ligaments of that joint. While it is common practice to limit the amount and frequency of injections directly into tendons and ligaments, there's no definitive data to support this practice. Plantar fascia steroid injections are unproven (much like night splints, walking boots, ultrasound therapy, custom orthotics) and generally considered a 2nd line treatment after the typical, conservative treatment methods have failed after several weeks to months.
injecting in the joint is completely different from injecting in a ligament.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
injecting in the joint is completely different from injecting in a ligament.
Yes, I’m fully aware of that. However, from your previous posts you do not make that distinction or indicate any understanding of that difference. You stated that there was a maximum of 3 steroid injections in any area which simply is not true. You did not specify what is defined by an “area.” If you have some expertise in orthopedics, podiatry or general medicine I sincerely apologize for questioning your statements. However, in my 25+ years of practicing outpatient medicine, my experience and knowledge strongly indicates that many of the statements you’ve made are misleading at best and more likely just wrong.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, I’m fully aware of that. However, from your previous posts you do not make that distinction or indicate any understanding of that difference. You stated that there was a maximum of 3 steroid injections in any area which simply is not true. You did not specify what is defined by an “area.” If you have some expertise in orthopedics, podiatry or general medicine I sincerely apologize for questioning your statements. However, in my 25+ years of practicing outpatient medicine, my experience and knowledge strongly indicates that many of the statements you’ve made are misleading at best and more likely just wrong.
Ok so i didn't feel like explaining all this.
The op said he got an injection to fix the pf.

This is wrong. Yeah, i didn't specify the area.

So are you saying that a steroid injection is the right way to cure pf?

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok so i didn't feel like explaining all this.
The op said he got an injection to fix the pf.

This is wrong. Yeah, i didn't specify the area.

So are you saying that a steroid injection is the right way to cure pf?
That’s part of the problem. If you don’t feel like explaining something adequately perhaps you should question whether you should explain it at all. Did you actually read my post above about steroid injections for plantar fasciitis? Here’s what I posted: “Plantar fascia steroid injections are unproven (much like night splints, walking boots, ultrasound therapy, custom orthotics) and generally considered a 2nd line treatment after the typical, conservative treatment methods have failed after several weeks to months.” There is no right way to cure plantar fasciitis. Much like most everything in medicine, the treatment should be tailored to the patient. A steroid injection is an option and mostly more for symptom control rather than actually treat the causative issue.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Interesting discussion about steroid injections.

The first time I suffered from PF, I went to a podiatrist who gave me a steroid injection into my heel area and told me to come back in several weeks for another injection. I made that appointment and left with less pain in my foot.

I did not return for the next injection because the pain was gone.

But years later I got PF again, and went to a different podiatrist. It was this one who told me that those injections should only be used as a last resort, and that putting them in the heel reduced the amount of padding in the heel permanently. This guy said the previous podiatrist should never have given me that injection. He also told me a maximum of three steroid injections was all anyone should have for PF, and that those injections should be used only if everything else failed and my pain was stopping me from doing normal activities.

Is there some disagreement about steroid use for PF among the professionals?