• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any owner of Ottolock Hexband or Original in 18" (46cm)? Need to know if it can wrap around a resort ski rack.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
There's a 20% sale at the moment in the manufacturer's website and even with delivery, it costs about the same as buying it locally here in Australia.

I'd rather buy it from USA as the manufacturer uses DHL, which I found to be a most excellent delivery company. I have ordered from NZ and Europe during this whole lockdown episode using DHL and they have been fast and reliable. Faster than ordering it from local courier. Our local couriers and national post company, Auspost, are terrible. Just terrible.

Anyway, the model I'm after is this:

1627797903407.png

Need to know if 18" should be sufficient to wrap around skis & poles resting on a ski rack as below. Or should I go with 30"?

1627797614046.png

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Nevermind I'm ordering the 30" (only 7 bucks extra) doesn't appear to be a big difference in bulk when it's wound up.

1627799094102.png

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm thinking that my cable lock is more than 18", so the 30" should be enough. As much as I like the idea, I don't have room in my pockets for that lock. We have "ski key" most places here.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I'm thinking that my cable lock is more than 18", so the 30" should be enough. As much as I like the idea, I don't have room in my pockets for that lock. We have "ski key" most places here.

I just emailed Otto to change the order to 18" LOL. I'm thinking 18" should be enough to loop it into the triangle thingy as opposed to looping it around the thick cylindrical bar. Like so:
1627839300089.png

My thinking is 18" would reduce the excess cable hanging as opposed to 30". We'll see.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I thread my cable lock through my brakes. But it's a lot narrower than the band on this lock. Since I sell Kryptonite I'm always looking at the competition. Hadn't seen this before. But bike locks is not a big part of our business. Just happen to be a Schlage dealer, so can get them.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I thread my cable lock through my brakes. But it's a lot narrower than the band on this lock. Since I sell Kryptonite I'm always looking at the competition. Hadn't seen this before. But bike locks is not a big part of our business. Just happen to be a Schlage dealer, so can get them.
Is it this one?

I thought about getting one of those type of retractable locks but thought maybe the bare metal cord might scratch the skis and poles. Although the Kryptonite above has its cord wrapped in vinyl.

Went with the Ottolock as I wanted a lock that didn't look like a lock I guess. It looks just like a releasable cable tie.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
That's the one. Mine is buggered as the cable is not retracting. But bought at cost, so not worried. I've been using the ski key the last couple of years as there seem to be lots of those at my ski area.

As I said I would thread the cable through a space in the brakes, so everything was secure. I've got more scratches on my skis from lift lines, skiing, so not worried about them scratching my skis.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Just some pictures and video of the 18" one. Not that bulky if it's wound up around itself twice.

20210814_173206.jpg

20210814_173158.jpg

20210814_173510.jpg

20210814_173516.jpg

20210814_173531.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online