• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any Salomon reps on the forum - question on Salomon SL skis?

MingDao

Booting up
Skier
I am wondering about the difference between FIS and PRO versions of their SL skis.
These are respectively:
L41143100 (I S/RACE FIS SL 165) Sidecut 118-65-102 / 13
L41132800 (I S/RACE PRO SL 165) Sidecut 118-65-103 / 13
PRO is wider at the tail by 1mm and slighly different graphics. Both have FIS compliance mark.
I assume PRO is a softer version aimed at Master racers, but I would appreciate if anyone in the know comments.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• salomon_2021_line.png
    salomon_2021_line.png
    869.9 KB · Views: 117

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not 100% sure, but believe you are right in that the PRO is a softened down version. Similar to how Atomic does it.

TS
M

MingDao

Booting up
Skier
Not 100% sure, but believe you are right in that the PRO is a softened down version. Similar to how Atomic does it.

Atomic does not have an equivalent for it, which would be FIS compliant. Both Atomic and Salomon are Amersports brands and produced in the same factory, but they try to differentiate the offerings in attempt to cover broader market. I am interested in Salomon, because I had comments that Salomon PRO SL is more versatile than Atomic S9 (Servotec non FIS).

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How are the S9 SLs not FIS compliant?

FIS SL ski rules
min length 155/165 cm (W/M)
min width 63 mm
min tip height 50 mm
max tail height 10 mm

servotec skis should fit all these, unless I'm missing something
This! Remember, just because a ski is FIS compliant - by virtue of waist width and/or radius - does NOT make it an FIS ski... and the important thing to remember when considering these non-FIS slaoms v. the FIS slalom is whether or not it is going to be used more than very occasionally in gates. Normally the non-FIS skis doe not stand up to relate gate use (even the FIS ones take a beating in the tip area if you are skiing slalom the way it should be skied but they are more robust)

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t know the Soloman product, but it’s probably the same situation-
Get the Atomic Fis Sl vs the non.
Frankly, it’s more fun than the S9 non Fis.
I know people won’t believe this, but the FIS version is easier to ski to. Just tune it at .7 to 1 deg base instead of 0.5degrees.

Obviously these recommendations are for advanced skiers. But, you don’t need to be that advanced, and you don’t have to ski like Marcel to use them, I teach beginners with fis slaloms.

E9B49D3C-399F-4BFB-8FA8-06097149DC6B.jpeg

Not the best arena for these Blizzard Fis slaloms at Abasin. You’re doing like 30 on landing in “interesting” odd spring snow.
The weird thing, they’re really fun in spring snow. Learned that from @KingGrump .

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don’t know the Soloman product, but it’s probably the same situation-
Get the Atomic Fis Sl vs the non.
Frankly, it’s more fun than the S9 non Fis.
I know people won’t believe this, but the FIS version is easier to ski to. Just tune it at .7 to 1 deg base instead of 0.5degrees.

Obviously these recommendations are for advanced skiers. But, you don’t need to be that advanced, and you don’t have to ski like Marcel to use them, I teach beginners with fis slaloms.

View attachment 113472
Not the best arena for these Blizzard Fis slaloms at Abasin. You’re doing like 30 on landing in “interesting” odd spring snow.
The weird thing, they’re really fun in spring snow. Learned that from @KingGrump .
+1
You can absolutely have fun on high performance race SL skis. (still at .5* base too)
1603928945101.png

Someone cue up Bode's helicopter video LOL

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s really too bad Jon Olsson didn’t have a shot at that. Back flip there probably. Corked 720?

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
It reminds me this video of a freestyle coach who was trying a slalom skis for the first time. He had fun with it and was still better than most of us in the park.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
It reminds me this video of a freestyle coach who was trying a slalom skis for the first time. He had fun with it and was still better than most of us in the park than most of us.
Fun video. That came up last season. It would definitely take a little time to dial in the response for his tricks. I was hoping he’d hit the pipe.

He’s on the S9 non Fis. You can tell by the rod in the front. Definitely not a “World Cup” ski.
I think he’d like the Fis better, it feels lighter in response, it’s more direct. The non comes in 171. I wasn’t a fan, which surprised me.
Rod-
84D92B91-1988-4CAD-B975-AFD8A1D24DC0.jpeg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have some Salomon FIS SL:s of an older vintage (LAB). Same as Atomics FIS SL. I would get the FIS-version and not the PRO because it is a sturdier construction.

Sponsor

Staff online