• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

jyl

Putting on skis
Skier
I was shooting bullseye pretty diligently for awhile. Pardini 22LR, Ultradot. Worked out issues with eyesight, even brought my pistol into the optometrist so she could get the astigmatism correction just right - otherwise the “dot” looks like a “comma”. Started to make progress on stance, breath, grip, sight, hold, release, and the internal mind game.

Was going to get really into it, got a Caspian 1911 built by a known bullseye smith, and a S&W Combat Masterpiece and had my local smith fit an Ultradot, ergo grips, and work the DA trigger. Joined a local pistol club that specializes in bullseye. Gave up coffee. On a good string on a good day I could score 90. Too often in the 70s.

Then I spent April - Sept stripping a century of (lead) paint off the siding of my house and sanding, patching, sanding . . . no time for shooting and my shoulders, arms, and fingers were getting beat, numb, and trembling from the work and power tools. Holding a Paintshaver and then belt and orbital sanders at and above head height for hours, twenty feet up on a ladder, it was challenging. Spent the next couple months rehabilitating my right shoulder.

And then it was ski season.

I’m going back to the range this summer but I think I’m going to spend more time at the larger outdoor range, maybe learning IDPA, maybe learning shotgun clays.

Bullseye is ridiculously hard. From one side of the 10 ring to the other side is about 1/10th of 1 degree of angle. You need to get most of your shots in 10, or at least 9, to be some version of “good” at bullseye. I’m a good pistol shot. But by bullseye standards, I suck; on rare good days, I can half-suck for a string then revert to full-suck for the rest of the session. I decided I’m too old and too mentally soft to feel bad about myself most of the time.

I still drop by the bullseye range occasionally and shoot the regulation bullseye targets, but I don’t score, don’t care. Sometimes I get to where I know when releasing the shot, before scoping the target, that the shot went high-left or low-center or whatever, and that’s fun. I rarely any more get the sensation of the 10 ring pulling your shot into it, like Luke and The Force, and that’s too bad.

Last edited:

slemmo

Getting on the lift
Skier
This 1916 matching Luger with unit markings. The 142nd regiment (29th Division) 5th Company, 9th weapon. Quite possibly on Hill 304 at Verdun in 1917.

View attachment 225547 View attachment 225548

Mine is not matching numbers, but my grandfather was in the resistance and kept it as a souvenir, passed it down to my dad, who changed barrel to a Norwegian made Luger barrel and used it for competition shooting in the army, then gave it to me when he was too old to use it. The story about the dagger is a bit funny though. When they cleaned up after the germans they found some 25 daggers in a drawer, my grandfather and a couple buddies kept one each and threw the rest in the garbage. It's a Type II chained SS dagger which is now valued at about 5000USD. They should have kept all of them.
I dont need the money atm , so I'm just keeping it for now. Obviously it holds great sentimental value too, so I dont really want to part with it unless I have to.
IMG_20220424_165545.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Had a go with an M1 Garand on the weekend. It's a sturdy tool. Solid feel. Put a 2" group out at 100 yds with the original sights.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Until then, here is my December 1943 M1 Garand. As much fun to break down as it is to shoot. A masterpiece of engineering and history you can hold.

IMG_1501 copy.JPG

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's remarkable how "open" the breech is while loading. Until you realize that's where the clip is loaded. Once it's racked it's much more tidy.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like the garand, it's really fun to shoot. Much less felt recoil than a Sporter 30-06 with max loads.

slemmo

Getting on the lift
Skier
We have this test here that you have to pass every year to be allowed to hunt, where you have to put 5 rounds inside a 30cm circle at 100 meters. Which is about 11 inches at 100 yards. You're allowed to shoot it prone, sitting and so on. So I tried to to do it standing unsupported with a friends Garand, the reason I'm looking back all the time is because i'm looking at my hits on the monitor.. I did ok until the last round in the magazine :roflmao:

BTW, everyone loves the Garand.

Last edited: