• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So for you shotgunners out there, I thought I'd throw up a picture of a pair of one of my favorite smoothbores. Designed by Val Browning, son of John M Browning, the Double Automatics are a really interesting firearm. In the photo below the top is a 1956 Standard Double Auto with a milled steel receiver. With a 26.5" IC barrel this is a fine 7.5 lb. skeet gun and general use field gun. Below it is a 1966 Twentyweight Double Auto Alloy receiver and a field toting 6.1lb weight.(around the weight of a 20ga. shotgun, hence it's name) There was also a Twelvette alloy model (not pictured) who's weight fell right in between the before mentioned models.

For those not familiar with the design, it has many interesting and 'before their time' features. It was Val's attempt to better the double guns of the day with lower cost and more features. You can remove the barrel in 2-3 seconds and replace it just as quickly. It is a TWO shot semi-auto with a left side of receiver loading port. First round in the gate goes immediately into the chamber. Second round is added through the port and sits there till the first is ejected. Loading is very rapid, far quicker than a break open over-under. There is not a traditional magazine tube, nor the imbalance caused by it or it's swing weight. A very fast lock time and really nice trigger break. The alloy guns were available in four colors, Grey, Black, Brown and Green. They were made from 1955 to 1971.

Double trouble.JPG

Double trouble 1.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
D80D25CC-2D48-4FA5-9CC0-A9BA637DFB7D.jpeg

Weihrauch HW45 .177 Air Pistol gets em off my porch. It’s a quality German $400 spring pistol, not 10m Olympic quality but pretty good, challenging fun to shoot. Plus it looks 1000x scary than what it is.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Not a gun guy much, but am in the process of getting a couple of our family's pieces sent out and will certainly consider deer and elk season... I like venison, what can I say? ogsmile Funny thing was, I thought my dad had sold them a few years back.

First is a Winchester 1917 30.06 with an Enfield post war stock. Sort of interesting history about the rebuilds that Enfield did with the Winchester actions and barrels immediately after WWI and their 'import' back to the States*.
Second is a Winchester 1897 12 like a couple of you have up above... serial # is an 1906 build date.
hunter1.jpg
Pups first, she was pretty proud of herself.

A lot of M1917's were rebuilt ie sporterized post WW1, even more so later when they were surplussed out after the 03 production got up to speed. We used the M1917 because we were making the P1914 for the Brits and when we got into the war we were under equipped with 03's so we converted p14 (303) production into M17 (30-06) production. We even sent Krags to rear line units. Sporterizing was a way to go in the past, but now it is just a way to turn a 1000.00 rifle into a 200.00 rifle with a scope.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Love this thread.....an oldie but a goodie.....Given the lack of snow in the Minnie Apple have been doing a lot of shooting this year.....Beretta 686 20 gauge sporting with 30 inch barrels. Shoots like butta....Requires a little more finesse than a 12 gauge. Ordered a 28 gauge as a "holiday" bonus this year. No trips planned so need for new skis.

Was at a friends gun club last weekend. Brought his own traps...we had two wobble traps so shoot at. Killer afternoon, shooting clays, enjoying the outdoors and this sunset outside of Minneapolis. Temps upper 40's tomorrow = more clay shooting.

1607464703484.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anybody have any recommendations for something like a Benelli Montefeltro? Anyone using a Winchester X4? 20ga.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Anybody have any recommendations for something like a Benelli Montefeltro? Anyone using a Winchester X4? 20ga.

For bird hunting or target shooting? I shot the SX4 12ga with the 3.5 chamber last weekend with clays. Is a friend's firearm but man was I impressed.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
For bird hunting or target shooting? I shot the SX4 12ga with the 3.5 chamber last weekend with clays. Is a friend's firearm but man was I impressed.
Grouse and such. We also have a trap range at the club so for fun too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Right now down here in the US there aren't many firearms availble for sale in stores or even pawn shops. Ammo shelves are bare as well. Go with what you got already, maybe next season things will get back to normal.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's getting to the point where you have to buy a gun to match the available ammo. You think TP is hard to find?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I have alot of guns. I just don't shoot them anymore.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here in europe we still got guns, evne US guns, tons of ammo and everything! :D

But.. ranges are closed. apparantly you can get infected by beeing alone even at your private place.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm not a gun nut, just grew up around them. Some of them have been in the family for 3 generations. I have a few that have never been fired. My prized weapon is a WW 2 German Luger.

James

Out There
Instructor
guns hold value like crazy, there isnt a single one in the collection I couldnt sell in a day for a profit.
Ehh, maybe now. My one experience selling a Winchester lever lock rifle with a screw off barrel didn’t prove that. It was pretty nice. But that was maybe 15 years ago. Still, I don’t think I got what I paid for it 15 yrs before selling.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
funfact, WW2 lugers are supercheap over here, since your only allowed to own say 10,20, 30 guns you have to choose what you want, and lugers end up cheap somehow.

Of course the superrare ones are more $$ but its still kinda funny.

Luger mag? $10

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Had I not had little kids at the time of the offering, I could have ended up with my father's US Army Officer issue 1911. At the time my mom was moving and needing to get rid of it I had a toddler who was really mischevious and could figure out how to get in to anything and everything. I msis shooting that gun, but not enough to go buy $$$$ one..

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Another pistol in my possession is a S & W 375 mag trooper special. My dad's service revolver when he was Oregon State Police.

Sponsor