• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another pistol in my possession is a S & W 375 mag trooper special. My dad's service revolver when he was Oregon State Police.
Now that is pretty cool. I have an old service revolver myself, highway patrolman in 357, guessing yours is probably also that caliber ;)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Several, long guns, pistols and revolvers.

S&W 686 PPC, barrel weight, trigger stop, trigger job, bobbed hammer, spring kit. Drives tacks. Bullseye, PPC and fast on action shoots.

Working on a Beretta 92FS, internals deburred, spring kit, tightened slide, converted to G version, starting to tighten groups. Not as tight as the revolver yet, working on it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So for you shotgunners out there, I thought I'd throw up a picture of a pair of one of my favorite smoothbores. Designed by Val Browning, son of John M Browning, the Double Automatics are a really interesting firearm. In the photo below the top is a 1956 Standard Double Auto with a milled steel receiver. With a 26.5" IC barrel this is a fine 7.5 lb. skeet gun and general use field gun. Below it is a 1966 Twentyweight Double Auto Alloy receiver and a field toting 6.1lb weight.(around the weight of a 20ga. shotgun, hence it's name) There was also a Twelvette alloy model (not pictured) who's weight fell right in between the before mentioned models.

For those not familiar with the design, it has many interesting and 'before their time' features. It was Val's attempt to better the double guns of the day with lower cost and more features. You can remove the barrel in 2-3 seconds and replace it just as quickly. It is a TWO shot semi-auto with a left side of receiver loading port. First round in the gate goes immediately into the chamber. Second round is added through the port and sits there till the first is ejected. Loading is very rapid, far quicker than a break open over-under. There is not a traditional magazine tube, nor the imbalance caused by it or it's swing weight. A very fast lock time and really nice trigger break. The alloy guns were available in four colors, Grey, Black, Brown and Green. They were made from 1955 to 1971.

View attachment 34291

View attachment 34293

Bill those are really cool. I love the weird guns. Beretta had something like that, but in addition it was also a break action. A break action 2-shot auto.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
100_0711.jpg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
View attachment 117449 View attachment 117450
The shooting Gods graced their glory on me this week. The 1911s will eat for quite some time.

I haven’t shot many clays since hunting seasons opened. Wild birds are another story.
I’ve got 30 flats of Fiocchis just waiting for warmer weather. Let’s burn some pow this summer?
You’re always too busy.
Maybe drag out @Ron Guerini!
I may be too fat to ski, but I can still half-ass shoot. :ogbiggrin:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Careful what you post. Your top 4 boxes are basically impossible to get. If you have a source PM me. :)
Its kinda weird with shortages, as there is 0 shortage here, we literally just had a group buy for powders & primes, even got huge discounts!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Its kinda weird with shortages, as there is 0 shortage here, we literally just had a group buy for powders & primes, even got huge discounts!

Hmm, pretty difficult here at the moment. 223/5556 and 9mm is pretty much unobtanium unless you are prepared to pay 5-10 times whet we were paying a year ago... :huh:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve got 30 flats of Fiocchis just waiting for warmer weather. Let’s burn some pow this summer?
You’re always too busy.
Maybe drag out @Ron Guerini!
I may be too fat to ski, but I can still half-ass shoot. :ogbiggrin:

Oh, I would love to get my sporting clay thing back on! I used to shoot at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clay (PA) and took lessons from Dan Carlisle. That was about 5 years back before I had all the surgeries. I loved shooting. I think my fav' was 1 1/8 ounce, 8's.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, pretty difficult here at the moment. 223/5556 and 9mm is pretty much unobtanium unless you are prepared to pay 5-10 times whet we were paying a year ago... :huh:
Same around here. I loaded up when this crap started, did some tweaking and stored them away.
Hell hunters had a hard time getting slugs for shotguns this season. My brother-in-law couldn’t find any and used my 35 to hunt this season. I’m hearing from instructor they are getting ammo shipped in from a few out of state dealers pretty easily. As for price not sure, but for now I’m keeping mine stored away

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I used to shoot at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clay (PA)

Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays is a legit and fantastic facility.......love those shots that originate in and around the old building. Very cool and unique facility. Used to hit that place when I was in NYC/Hoboken. Well worth the drive.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
New addition to the family with fall seasons around the corner. Steyr Scout in 6.5 CRD. I’ve wanted one for a good while and decided to splurge this year. Waiting on rings for the forward mount, long eye relief scope I picked out to go with it. Should be sighted in by mid-August, and then will have some time to bump it around a bit and recheck zero before taking to the field.
63FE0FF8-E68D-4201-8F72-A0F1FCC849E4.jpeg

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had I not had little kids at the time of the offering, I could have ended up with my father's US Army Officer issue 1911. At the time my mom was moving and needing to get rid of it I had a toddler who was really mischevious and could figure out how to get in to anything and everything. I msis shooting that gun, but not enough to go buy $$$$ one..
I am fortunate enough to have inherited my wife's grand fathers service 1911 that is now about 110 year old. It still shoots damn well too.

Sponsor

Staff online