• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

any threads on sunglasses for skiers for the spring / early summer

freddie

Booting up
Skier
Hi

As its looking like it might be a long season in California I am thinking it might be good to invest in a quality pair of sunglasses for spring / early summer skiing.

What are the popular favorite quality go to sunglasses for skiers?

I am a large man, 6'3" about 215 lbs with a big head and face so it it might make sense to get a stlye that has big lenses?

I didn't see any threads on this so thought I would ask.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What are the popular favorite quality go to sunglasses for skiers?

I am a large man, 6'3" about 215 lbs with a big head and face so it it might make sense to get a stlye that has big lenses?

I didn't see any threads on this so thought I would ask.

Eh. Given current fashion in cycling sunglasses, bigger lenses are no problem whatsoever - which ones work with your helmet?

That said, there is a really good case to be made for glacier/climber style glasses that sit at the eye socket and seal off side light.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Revo has some of the best optics we have seen.
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 11.45.22 AM.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a huge fan of Smith Techlite sunglasses.

Real glass lens optics, but not too heavy.

I miss Nikon sunglasses optics. Without peer IMO.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been extremely happy with my Revos.
I have two pair.
These are great for skiing and biking because they wrap around and protect the eyes from wind and dust.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I wear my prescription sunglasses most of the time skiing in California and only wear goggles on days when it's snowing or really cloudy (which here in CA is not that often). Mine are wraparound and work great (see profile pic).

I think the main thing is that they feel comfortable with your helmet.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
VuarnetVision FTW.. Lots of more modern options too.. Full disclosure.. The Vuarnet optics are excellent, as good as any, espeically good in flat light so if clouds roll in you're still well equipped..

Downside. Those mineral glass lenses are HEAVY. They will slide down your nose, especially if your sweaty or the arms aren't fitted tight. Croakies or other straps.. My helmet also holds them in place pretty well..

1676853247008.png

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Like goggles but not.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Oakley Flak Draft (no longer made) sunglasses with a few different lens colors. Been really happy with them. There’s a Flak Jacket that has swappable lenses as well. The Prizm trail lens works great in flat light and the Prism Polarized Daily lens is great in sunny conditions.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have Oakley Flak Draft (no longer made) sunglasses with a few different lens colors. Been really happy with them. There’s a Flak Jacket that has swappable lenses as well. The Prizm trail lens works great in flat light and the Prism Polarized Daily lens is great in sunny conditions.
I had tow pairs of those, one grey and one amber/brown. Left the brown ones in a rental car and of course the next morning when I returned to try to retrieve them they were all like this.. :huh: :nono::huh:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are talking about spring, and at CA altitudes, I would want something dark, definitely less than 10% VLT.
But everyone is different in that regard.
Many of the more generic sports glasses are not dark enough for that use for me.

I have the Julbo Ultimate, but they are fairly small.
902830D1-BDE5-4733-B5EF-C24E9B98A3D5.jpeg

The new Smith Pursuit might be worth a look?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Last summer, over a 1 week period, I did a bike ride each day in full sun using sunglasses from different people staying in our home. Had access to 2 RayBans, a Smith, a Maui Jim plus my regular dark sub-$75 lessor known glasses. I'd also take a 2 pairs our and just compare them.
From a usefulness standpoint, they all work just fine as sunglasses, as long as they are polarized. I don't like glare. The big difference is in tint, that is a very personal aspect, but, we just adapt to whatever we use. I do prefer glasses that wrap around the eyes and let little side light in, that maybe due to bike cycling need to block wind.
I always sort of hate to hear somebody say "I use X brand sunglasses, they are the best". More expensive maybe, but, really?
Having said all the above, the MauiJim pair optics seemed slightly sharper, but, my aging eyes distance vision is no longer as sharp as it used to be. I would not pay the premium to buy that brand.

Sponsor