• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

any threads on sunglasses for skiers for the spring / early summer

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My eyes are too important to use cheap sunglasses, you should.
I have dry macular degeneration and make it a point to wear sunglasses when outside, which one of the recommended practices for the condition. Nowhere does it recommend using the "best" glasses. Basic inexpensive industrial brand glasses work fine in most cases, maybe not as optically perfect. Can you define "cheap sunglasses"? Do you know any scientific studies stating expensive name brands are better for your eyes? Any plastic lens provides UV protection.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
And, in the more southern latitudes the sun is more intense, so a lower VLT percentage is wise. Mammoth skiing needs darker shades than Canada skiing. I prefer Smith sunglasses over Oakley sunglasses...that's just me, no telling what your eyes will prefer until you try them. Consider wrap type sunglasses for better wind protection when skiing or cycling fast. Also use very effective sun screen on your exposed skin, and reapply it often. There are three types of ski cancer ranging from the type that just eats your face to the type that can kill you.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sorry but I've seen too many peoples faces opened up at the brow line from falls with sunglasses to EVER ski with them. Nobody wants crimson red snow on a ski day!
Only goggles or nuthi'n.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sorry but I've seen too many peoples faces opened up at the brow line from falls with sunglasses to EVER ski with them. Nobody wants crimson red snow on a ski day!
Only goggles or nuthi'n.
When was the last time you face planted? Also aren't you still skiing without a helmet when you do go?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Of all the $$$ shades I've owned, many are excellent, but Vuarnets have the best optics for skiing. Oakley, RayBan Aviators and Wayfarers are good, Bolle, Maui Jim, etc.. If you've never worn a par of Vuarnet Glacier Glasses, Skilux, or Nautilux you are missing out.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have dry macular degeneration and make it a point to wear sunglasses when outside, which one of the recommended practices for the condition. Nowhere does it recommend using the "best" glasses. Basic inexpensive industrial brand glasses work fine in most cases, maybe not as optically perfect. Can you define "cheap sunglasses"? Do you know any scientific studies stating expensive name brands are better for your eyes? Any plastic lens provides UV protection.
Actually, there are all kinds of studies, they even spell out cheap lenses will hurt your eyes more than protect. Reflection from the snow is even worse, same as reflection from the water. You get what you pay for, just google it.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So many more articles but I don't have time to post the all :)
But that "article" mainly focuses on lenses that don't block UVA/UVB... there are plenty of cheap sunglasses (most?) out there that are 100% UV blocking or close to it. (Or at least claim to be.)

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
But that "article" mainly focuses on lenses that don't block UVA/UVB... there are plenty of cheap sunglasses (most?) out there that are 100% UV blocking or close to it. (Or at least claim to be.)
That's the problem, claim to be. I'd rather take a chance with more well known brands that I'm sure other companies would love to prove they are lying about the product. Cheap dark sunglasses are even worse than not wearing any.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have used several types of sunglasses for skiing over the years. I like the Ray-Ban that changes with the amount of sun that is shining, although I do use goggles more than sunglasses. On the very gray days I like the yellow shooting glasses by Winchester to lighten up the trails, they are not made for skiing but do a very good job nonetheless. I can also get them at a reasonable price. Several years ago I read an article about a test that was done on sunglasses and it said that even the "cheap ones" gave you good protection for your eyes. It was talking about UVA and UVB type of protection. It didn't talk about sunglasses for skiing but did talk about water reflection for boating and fishing. Polarized lenses are best for this type of water reflection and I do use them when fishing, I don't know if that relates to skiing. Didn't we have a thread about polarized lenses and being able to see the dashboard of your vehicle?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

First, anyone can stick a sticker onto a plastic sunglass, especially if the country you intend to sell in requires a sticker. I don't think US Customs has UVA and UVB, let alone UVC testing facilities, do you? Yes, I know there's still some ozone in the atmosphere, so, since we're not in AU or NZ, let's ignore UVC for the moment.

Second, the chemistry that absorbs UV on plastic sunglasses is exactly the same as that in sunscreens - and three of the most effective chemical families for that were recently banned for sale as being carcinogenic. I don't think the Chinese chemical industry has found a cheap replacement for them in less than 5 years, do you?

Thirdly, you scratch the coating and UV protection is gone.

Fourth, if you (read: anyone) have glow-in-the-dark buttons on your remote control, you can test your sunglasses for UVA. Just put the sunglasses over a few of the glow buttons and put them under a strong LED light to pump them. If there is selectivity in how they glow when you turn the light off, you might have a protective product. It surprised me not one single bit that 3 of my no-name cycling glasses were...crap.

Point being, unless the product is from a name-brand company that can actually be held meaningfully liable under US law, all those UV claims on sunglass stickers are about as reliable as lumen claims on Amazon flashlights. I.E. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

TS
F

freddie

Booting up
Skier
thanks for all the info

I seem to have converged on the

SMITH Lowdown XL 2

it comes in many lens options and I need help here:

Polarized Gray Green Lens
Polarized Blue Mirror Lens
Polarized Gold Lens
Polarized Black Lens
Polarized Brown Lens

Non Polarized Brown
Non Polarized Gray Green

Also Chromapop options for most of the above.

What type of lens is best for spring summer skiing?

Sponsor

Staff online