• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

any threads on sunglasses for skiers for the spring / early summer

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
thanks for all the info

I seem to have converged on the

SMITH Lowdown XL 2

it comes in many lens options and I need help here:

Polarized Gray Green Lens
Polarized Blue Mirror Lens
Polarized Gold Lens
Polarized Black Lens
Polarized Brown Lens

Non Polarized Brown
Non Polarized Gray Green

Also Chromapop options for most of the above.

What type of lens is best for spring summer skiing?

From a performance standpoint, I think something with Chromapop that lets in about 15% of the light would be most useful as spring/earlier summer lens.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From a performance standpoint, I think something with Chromapop that lets in about 15% of the light would be most useful as spring/earlier summer lens.
Those listed at the link are all between 14% and 16% VLT except for two that're 10%.

I don't think there's much to choose between them. I think I'd pick polarized and one with a grey/neutral tint, personally.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
thanks for all the info

I seem to have converged on the

SMITH Lowdown XL 2

it comes in many lens options and I need help here:

Polarized Gray Green Lens
Polarized Blue Mirror Lens
Polarized Gold Lens
Polarized Black Lens
Polarized Brown Lens

Non Polarized Brown
Non Polarized Gray Green

Also Chromapop options for most of the above.

What type of lens is best for spring summer skiing?

I would be interested in the Polarized Gold lens, with a second choice the Polarized Gray Green lens, and last would be the Polarized Blue Mirror lens. All the others I would pass up for skiing.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
My 40-year-old Oakleys!
Oakleys from the mid 1980's.jpg

Flyinace1

Booting up
Skier
I personally like wrap-around, cycling style glasses. I ski in Southern California and use Rudy Project Rydon sunglasses whenever the weather is clear and above freezing.

Rudy Project makes some very nice, high quality glasses. The lens are easy and quick to switch out and a large selection available, including polarized, photochromic, low light and mirrored. I personally also like that they're an independent brand that's not part of the massive eyeware conglomerate that owns most of the industry.

Attachments

• 61fqGwz3wQL._AC_UX425_.jpg
    61fqGwz3wQL._AC_UX425_.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 4

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just remember, if the glasses are cheap, they are 100% crap. The cheap polarized lenses are ruined after you wipe them down a few times. The true/real polarized lenses don't do that.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If you ski in sunglasses, please remember a few things:

1. Check if your sunglasses have glass lenses (the said Vuarnet SkyLynx or some high end MauiJims are glass), if they do, do not ski in them. Taking glass shards out of your eye is no fun.
2. Cycling sunglasses are the best substitute for goggles, as they have shutter-proof lenses and are designed to shield from the wind.
3. Try not to fall, your sunglasses are not designed to protect your face from a fall...
3. Goggles work and are still quite steezy:).

bpratt

Putting on skis
Skier
My 40-year-old Oakleys!
View attachment 197102
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I still bike and ski with my 1985 Oakley Factory Pilots. Although they are a bit ship of Theseus, as over the years I've replaced the lens a couple of times, the nosepiece, and one of the temples.
And like you I didn't bother applying the "OAKLEY" sticker to the center of the lens when replacing it.