• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any YAHOO mail users? Need Advice.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hoping someone can give me some advice.

I got the attached email today. It looks like my Yahoo Mail access will be turned off if I don't install a new version today!
Considering that this is my first notice, I decided that it had to be Spam. But today I tried to login to my PC and was unable to. Though admittedly my PC has some issues.

Tried to access Yahoo Help and their phone lines are disabled. Has anyone been informed of this issue? Help!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220113-165910.png
    Screenshot_20220113-165910.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 20

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's a phish email I'm fairly certain. Be sure you can't login. Yahoo mail is webmail, nothing should prohibit that unless you're running Internet Explorer or...god forbid, Netscape... I hope you didn't click on the New Version link...?

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
That does not look like a professionally written email. Can you expand the sender -- hover over? click on? -- to see the source?

If this was a legitimate requirement to upgrade, you would have been given appropriate notice. I went through a situation like that with an old provider. They sent the first notice about six months in advance. And a couple of follow-ups.

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
Definitely spam. I have received similar junk from "Yahoo Mail" The first clue is the poor syntax. English is not the first language. Delete and ignore.

TS
skibum4ever

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, I did not click on the link. I deleted it immediately. But then had second thoughts as I was unable to log into my PC. I will tackle the PC again later. I may have to reboot.

Yes, it was sent by "a person's [email protected]".

Thanks to all. I will definitely delete and erase.

JHust

Putting on skis
Skier
I've used yahoo as my email for the last 10+ years. I have never upgraded and haven't received an email like that

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But then had second thoughts as I was unable to log into my PC.
It is pretty much impossible that your online email account has anything to do with your PC bootup/login issues. Thinking they're tied together is kind of like saying your thermostat broke so your faucet won't work. They're simply unrelated.

In any case, if you get back to your Yahoo mail and want to look at that message again (which I'm absolutely certain is phishing) you might try to hover over the sender and see the actual email address ([email protected] format) or the link. Or right click the link, hit "copy link address" and paste it into a text file.

Odds are that you won't see ".yahoo.com" in them. It may be gibberish or unrelated, or it could be some modification of that - like "scam-yahoo.com" or "we-are-trying-to-trick-you-yahoo.com".

TS
skibum4ever

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that I was unable to log into my email account on my PC.

Thanks for your responses. I knew someone on here could allay my concerns.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that I was unable to log into my email account on my PC.

Thanks for your responses. I knew someone on here could allay my concerns.

Hold on for a sec. Just so I'm clear on the timeline here.

You received the message you posted at the non-Yahoo email addy you have listed with Yahoo as your emergency/recovery address, yes?

Or did you receive it during an old-login session on your Yahoo phone app?

Sponsor

Staff online