• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anybody else getting a sneaking feeling that the season isn't going to work out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
We’re in the middle of learning if my daughter’s fiancé has COVID, he developed a caugh and low grade fever earlier this week. It took him 3 days to be able to schedule an an appointment to be COVID testEd Tuesday. Then about 3 days for the results. His experience reveals to me that for many people that do not have work hours flexibility (he is in sales and has a home office) and have to go to work or not get paid, being able to devote the time to successfully schedule a test is a huge challenge and extremely difficult.
The testing back log should have been obvious to me, but his experience reinforces to me why the transmission of COVID is so out of control.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I won’t be dropping my stimulus dollars in those places.
Thanks in advance for that. If they thought the money was more important they wouldn't be putting up the restrictions. First things they shut down at the resorts still open are also the profit center,bar, food, lessons very limited. They care more about people than money. The stimulus money is intended to go in to your local community economic system FWIW... Help people who either don't have jobs (they are getting stimulus money as well) and keep those others in the community who still do have essential jobs employed.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
TLDR; Don't lose faith in humanity or your neighbors because a infectious respiratory illness is moving thru our communities, it is not a retributive act of god, or a sign of collective ignorance or intransigence. We can improve our social systems if we learn from this.

This was discussed in a now closed thread that was over 600 pages last I looked. Should we re-litigate covid morality? Because I don't agree with most of your TLDR. I see a moderator has approved though so here's my take.

Personally, I most definitely am making moral judgements on how people act in this pandemic and am judging some of them morally deficient. True, some have just acted ignorantly with no malice. Others see the tradeoff in lives versus livelihoods much differently and at least there's a basis for that. But others, even though they understand the disease and the consequences of spreading it refuse to modify their behavior. Still others recklessly encourage disastrous behavior in others. These are matters of life and death so I can't give them a pass. They may not be ashamed but in my moral universe they should be.

So yes, what faith I had in my neighbors is shattered. Where I live they do not have my back.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trying to check out base cams of a few resorts but most are offline...did find one for Mammoth and it seems busy. But I am usually spoiled by no lines at my home mountain so 30 people in line is busy to me...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
It is not supported by the data on the *magnitude* of the impact of face mask and distancing compliance on spread. Anecdotes and stories about ignorant folk make for great shocking stories, but are not data.

Experience in other parts of the world - such as New Zealand, Australia, Vietnam, Taiwan - proves otherwise. If a country wishes to flatten the curve then it needs to listen to its appropriately qualified health experts.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe in the power of positive thinking. So I believe this season will work out, albeit in a different fashion. I'm going skiing!! I know that we will have to be flexible ( first trip, a training camp at Tremblant, has already been cancelled) So things may change and we will have to roll with it. The training has been changed to Ontario, so I had hopes, but tomorrow we go back into lockdown, and we still have no snow. ( 18celcius yesterday. Bike riding in my shorts)
Que Sera Sera, as they say
If we all follow along , and play nice with each other, something will come of this winter.
Only different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online