• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else going to sit this one out?

Are you planning on sitting this season out?

• Yes

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
After Thanksgiving & Christmas....you can't fix stupid.
Ya I guess we need to differentiate or better define "sit this one out". I think most if us would definitely take a drive, maybe even a long drive to ski for a few hours if that's doable. We may not be able to make that decision for ourselves though..

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
We're getting shut down again tomorrow. To what degree and how/if it will affect skiing, we'll find out.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Ya I guess we need to differentiate or better define "sit this one out". I think most if us would definitely take a drive, maybe even a long drive to ski for a few hours if that's doable. We may not be able to make that decision for ourselves though..
If folks would follow a few simple rules and use common sense it might help. I turned down my SS job this year. It seemed like a gamble at best. I will still ski but on my terms. We will not visit family for the holidays out of respect. They're in their 90s.
If you find yourself in a situation, just leave that environment if you can.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I keep track of active cases per square mile and per 1000 population in my area and use that to guess how many active cases are in the store with me or on the street. I just multiply the current active number by 4 and divide by the population. That tells me how worried I should be. And I leap away like I've been shot if a kid wearing no mask starts coughing near me.
How does this tool match up with your method? I can’t speak to its methods, assumptions, or anything else about it, but it's a nice reminder to be careful.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read an article in the paper about attitudes in the heartland (BTW, I grew up in Indiana, so no stranger to that country). Interesting/depressing. Basically, lots of folks there know the virus exists, don't believe it's a hoax, know the possibilities of serious illness or even death, but.... choose not to wear masks or really do much different. Kind of a resigned fatalism: "I don't want to get the virus, but if I get it, I get it". Perhaps influenced by fact that many folks don't have terrible symptoms and that treatment is getting better. But this is still amazing to me. Even if the individual doesn't suffer the worst, the group impact is intense.

The lack of will to DO something, to alter their routines in any way, boggles my mind.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm feeling like sitting this season out may be the best option. The current tend in cases, may make that the rule more then an option. This would have been my first season being able to ski weekdays instead of having a job 5 days a week, was looking forward to that.

I haven't been around on this Forum much but have been checking in from time to time. Just want to say Hi to all the old friends from epicski.com

Safe safe, there will always be next season...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just read an article in the paper about attitudes in the heartland (BTW, I grew up in Indiana, so no stranger to that country). Interesting/depressing. Basically, lots of folks there know the virus exists, don't believe it's a hoax, know the possibilities of serious illness or even death, but.... choose not to wear masks or really do much different. Kind of a resigned fatalism: "I don't want to get the virus, but if I get it, I get it". Perhaps influenced by fact that many folks don't have terrible symptoms and that treatment is getting better. But this is still amazing to me. Even if the individual doesn't suffer the worst, the group impact is intense.

The lack of will to DO something, to alter their routines in any way, boggles my mind.

They act like it's their own choice and they're the only people paying the consequences if they get sick. That attitude totally ignores the fact that not giving up some of those things, like taking 5 seconds to put a mask on, is causing healthcare systems to collapse, and that's why governors are now having to force people to stay home. They're the cause of their freedom (and our freedom to ski) being taken away, not the state and local governments..

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I definitely am not sitting this year out, I just booked a flight to SLC in early January, I will be very careful, get tested before I go and when I get back, Mask up, social distance, do the things I have done for 8 months. I am a carpenter and have worked every day during this pandemic. I just am careful. The things that make the virus spread for the most part is not in my life. The most dangerous thing I have done is grocery shopping ( today) . everyone is wearing a mask keeping social distant at the store but I was still nervous. so my plan is the same as the last 8 months , be careful

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I definitely am not sitting this year out, I just booked a flight to SLC in early January, I will be very careful, get tested before I go and when I get back, Mask up, social distance, do the things I have done for 8 months. I am a carpenter and have worked every day during this pandemic. I just am careful. The things that make the virus spread for the most part is not in my life. The most dangerous thing I have done is grocery shopping ( today) . everyone is wearing a mask keeping social distant at the store but I was still nervous. so my plan is the same as the last 8 months , be careful

I have an SLC trip booked just before Christmas, still not sure about it. I do have to fly there but I have to fly to pretty much any decent sized resort, I guess I could drive to Big Sky but weather can be brutal. Driven through white out blizzards before to get there, no fun to white knuckle drive for hours. Probably more dangerous than virus is for me anyway. My plan is to rent a car and pretty much just hangout in my hotel room when I am not skiing. Always wear a mask and avoid groups.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
It can be expected that there will be modest numbers of skiers that are going into this season with expectations of skiing that upon getting a day or three in will change their minds to join those sitting it out as enthusiasm wanes due to the changed and limited experiences they find as well as dangers of catching the virus on such trips they come to understand. Especially those that are used to social aspects of the experience like visiting bars and restaurants after actual daytime skiing and rather find themselves just stuck in lodging rooms bored with a tv and half empty bottle of wine. Thus some wisdom in being prepared for coping with more solo activities like reading a book or bringing along a laptop with games or whatever.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Travel will be way down, but it's hard to say what casual skiers will do. Regardless of the hassle factor, skiing is likely to be the safest wiinter activity in snow country, so I think even the most casual locals will continue to come out. I know I will. I've worked from home for over 20 years, so in the winter skiing has been almost the only time I see another human being outside a business meeting. Even in my current dilapidated condition I can't quit skiing.

dm

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm heading to Jackson Hole with three of my kids in January. We've all had the virus and figure we are immune for a while. I picked Wyoming as I figured it would be the last state to lock down if things go south.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I have no other choice, for now, but to sit this thing out. Nothing is opened to us "general public" skiers. Only athletes (up to Masters with FIS points) can ski, to train; and even then, only Cervinia/Zermatt is left open now, Senales/Schnastal closed down last weekend (Sat Nov 14th).
I skied two days in July, in France, but that's about it, for now.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm heading to Jackson Hole with three of my kids in January. We've all had the virus and figure we are immune for a while. I picked Wyoming as I figured it would be the last state to lock down if things go south.
Wow, really? 4 in the same family? What about your wife? What was it like? Did you discuss it in another thread?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Best guess is three months. Nobody knows for sure though.

I heard Whitefish is trying their best to run normal operations.. Montana might be a good place to book

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow, really? 4 in the same family? What about your wife? What was it like? Did you discuss it in another thread?

My whole family of 6 had it (wife included -- she's a nurse at the big hospital in town). We all had very mild symptoms (loss of taste, smell, mild aches in hips, some sinus congestion). It was odd because even our two dogs acted strangely for one day as if they had something as well. I had one day where I was low energy, otherwise I felt completely normal energy-wise (I'm 49, by the way). Overall, a very strange "sickness." (Any other year, I wouldn't have thought a thing about it since I always seem to get a "cold" right around the switch back to standard time...this year it was COVID.)

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
We only have mountain passes as we chose to forgo the IKON this year. I work part time, and from home, and am tentatively planning to move full time to our home near the mountain. Due to current state travel restrictions, my husband will test each week before he comes up. Even pre-COVID we skied first thing through lunch time, and then headed back to the house for a late lunch. Barring the mountain shutting down, a couple of changes for us - we will cut out our lodge warming stops, and we will no longer be doing après ski at the mountain. If the mountain shuts down, I will skin up in the morning if permitted, and we will continue to snowshoe with the dogs in the afternoon. If the mountain doesn't allow uphill, then I will be skinning where I can!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
How does this tool match up with your method? I can’t speak to its methods, assumptions, or anything else about it, but it's a nice reminder to be careful.

I've seen that tool, but it's event based. I'm not going to any events. I occasionally have to get groceries or go to the drug store or the vet, etc. Events? Not even up for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online