• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else going to sit this one out?

Are you planning on sitting this season out?

• Yes

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Travel will be way down, but it's hard to say what casual skiers will do. Regardless of the hassle factor, skiing is likely to be the safest wiinter activity in snow country, so I think even the most casual locals will continue to come out. I know I will. I've worked from home for over 20 years, so in the winter skiing has been almost the only time I see another human being outside a business meeting. Even in my current dilapidated condition I can't quit skiing.

dm
I instantly regretted posting that because it's too dark.
@SkiSpeed @P-Ute @Olesya C and anyone else who likes that post, what is that you like? My dilapidated body?:crutches: My isolated work-at-home life? Business meetings being my most active social life? :huh:

dm

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@SkiSpeed @P-Ute @Olesya C and anyone else who likes that post, what is that you like? My dilapidated body?:crutches: My isolated work-at-home life? Business meetings being my most active social life? :huh:

dm

I felt that your subtext was that skiing was offering you hope and a reason to get out and about. I know it does for me and I liked that.

We have never met, but I figure our paths have crossed given where you ski.

As for the rest of the post regarding work and isolation, I figured that anyone who has worked from home for over 20 years was used to the workplace dynamics. I have been working from home since 2014 and I love it, but I also get your point about the isolation.

I felt, given other posts of your’s that I have read, that you were using some figurative language regarding your ”condition.“ If you‘re not well, I am very sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery. I liked your dedication to getting back out regardless of how you feel.

Not sure if you enjoy reggae, but I suggest finding Ziggy Marley’s live version of One Bright Day on YouTube and cranking it!

Hope to see out there some day.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've seen that tool, but it's event based. I'm not going to any events. I occasionally have to get groceries or go to the drug store or the vet, etc. Events? Not even up for discussion.
Yeah, I knew that. I was thinking of treating grocery shopping as an event - how many people did I think would be in the store, how close, etc. Parties are right out.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
They act like it's their own choice and they're the only people paying the consequences if they get sick. That attitude totally ignores the fact that not giving up some of those things, like taking 5 seconds to put a mask on, is causing healthcare systems to collapse, and that's why governors are now having to force people to stay home. They're the cause of their freedom (and our freedom to ski) being taken away, not the state and local governments..
As a Midwesterner, most dont understand we invented social distancing. Drive thru most parts of Kansas or "flyover" country and houses are MILES apart. As far as wearing masks and risk...

Many lives depend on the ag industry for their lively hood in our area. Whether it is servicing or building equipment or supporting those businesses, they all depend on the dollar generated by the farmer. The farmer is an individual who takes risks that most people dont understand.

Their life is dependent on a small seed planted in the ground. It is planted at a time when the soil is the right temp and proper soil moisture, rains SHOULD come at the right time, outside temps with a little help from chemistry will keep the weeds at bay. As the plant matures, we have to worry about the season changes and wonder if hail, tornados, torrential rains or insects will ruin the crop. Once the plant is ready to be harvested, and all the equipment is serviced and ready to roll, they wait until the people in other parts of the world decide the price they are willing to pay for the commodity.

The farmer has NO control over the weather or the economy of the product they produce. Their idea of risk is not even close to what others are. Their complete life is a risk. There are times you will not see anyone outside your home for weeks unless it is passing someone on a dusty road while checking livestock or fields. Yes it is their choice, and most people will never understand what true risk is. An illness with a 97.4% survivability rate are very good odds. I wish I had that on the crops I planted this year. I dont, so I hope and pray that everything will come together at the right time we will manage the land properly and I can make a little money on my investment, buy a ski pass and enjoy a little downtime while I wait on the snow to add moisture to the soil for my wheat.

Most people from the midwest have the same gene in them because they came from this and have not given in to the easy life completely. Lighten up on the people from the midwest we are a breed most dont understand. I hope this helps those outside the farming region and community understand a little as to why we do and act the way we do.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
@SkiSpeed Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm always a little surprised when anyone takes my posts seriously. I'm not "unwell,' I'm just a cranky old fart. Except for the old cranky part, it seems we have a lot in common.

dm

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dave Marshak said:
Travel will be way down, but it's hard to say what casual skiers will do. Regardless of the hassle factor, skiing is likely to be the safest wiinter activity in snow country, so I think even the most casual locals will continue to come out. I know I will. I've worked from home for over 20 years, so in the winter skiing has been almost the only time I see another human being outside a business meeting. Even in my current dilapidated condition I can't quit skiing.

dm

I would say the 1st sentence of your original post is realistic, not dark! Nothing wrong with a dose of reality. I agree skiing is likely to be safest winter activity in snow country. Whether or how much casual local skiers get out will likely depend on snow conditions IMO, at least here in Utah.

The rest of your post might be a little dark, but realistic too. I see myself in your post. I sat at a desk for almost 30 years, little interaction with others face to face. Skiing is as much a mental health break as a physical exercise. My knees hurt, sore back & neck to name a few. Skiing is what motivates me in retirement to stay active so I can continue to ski for many years to come! My wife thinks I am crazy to keep skiing after watching me stumble and hearing me creak across the floor upon awakening, but I remind her that if I was not skiing I would be home driving her crazy!

I don't see your post as dark! It is a cry for help and as a medical professional my recommended treatment for anhedonia (lack of pleasure) due to loss of skiing for 7 months is to go skiing! You deserve it! So do all of us! Feed the addiction! Please do it safely.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
An illness with a 97.4% survivability rate are very good odds.
I know you wrote this to contrast with the continuous risk in farming, but too many people seem to look at the fatality rate. Really, it's an illness with a "97.4% survivability rate" (I'll use your statistic) and an n% totally_fucked_up_life-ability rate given the number of people with long COVID. That n%, which seems relatively undefined for sure but may be at least 5%, is what scares me more: once I'm dead I sure won't care, but I WILL care if I have long COVID - especially if I can't ski.

Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
...as a medical professional my recommended treatment for anhedonia (lack of pleasure) due to loss of skiing for 7 months is to go skiing! You deserve it! So do all of us! Feed the addiction! Please do it safely.

@P-Ute That's great advice. I lived in SLC when I was kid. I went to Sy.Anne's and later Cosgriff. My brother went to Judge. Maybe we were classmates.

dm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yeah, I knew that. I was thinking of treating grocery shopping as an event - how many people did I think would be in the store, how close, etc. Parties are right out.
The reason I go in a grocery store is because I need to eat, couldn't set up Amazon Subscribe & Save, and trying to order through the store's curbside app is impossible. In other words, it happens rarely, and there is no other choice. It's been 16 days since the last trip. We might send out a buyer tomorrow. Maybe.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know you wrote this to contrast with the continuous risk in farming, but too many people seem to look at the fatality rate. Really, it's an illness with a "97.4% survivability rate" (I'll use your statistic) and an n% totally_fucked_up_life-ability rate given the number of people with long COVID. That n%, which seems relatively undefined for sure but may be at least 5%, is what scares me more: once I'm dead I sure won't care, but I WILL care if I have long COVID - especially if I can't ski.
I live in a farming community and understand the risks farmers take, but those risks taken are not spread to other people in the population, as it is with Covid. So when I assess my risks skiing and take the proper precautions, I am also assessing how I can avoid spreading this disease in case I am infected and don’t have symptoms.

We all want to ski. I need the outlet especially after my mental health took a dip last spring. But I won’t let my love of skiing cloud my judgment in looking out for the health of those around me.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I haven't been to a grocery store since February, but my wife does the grocery shopping. We did curbside pickup in the beginning and home delivery, but now it's wear a mask and go shopping for her. She loves to shop. Goes to Marshall's and other places too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

dm
I've been primarily WFH mode since 2009. After I drop off the work grid at the end of a work day all I want to do is get the hell out of the house, any excuse at all to get out for at least 30 minutes or a couple hours will do. In the rare scenario where there is snow on the ground I might also go out for a walk around the block at lunch time. If there's inches, then a lap on tele gear under the streetlights after dark is heaven..

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With more severe travel restrictions happening in the East, even local skiing may not be happening. Did not see that. Plus I know several people - including relatives - currently in quarantine (non hockey) due to exposure to COVID positive peeps. Man, things are not going in a good direction. And current models are horrific through the next several months.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
SW CO is going o level red on Friday. Restaurants may do take-out only. Gyms at 10% capacity. So far ski hills remain open. Want to ski? Get it while you can.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm skiing. This pandemic is real and ugly but for me it's a risk-benefit analysis. I'll stay out of gondolas and lodges. I'll revert to my earlier years of skiing when I couldn't afford a ski resort meal and my lunch was a couple of Cliff bars and a bottle of water on the chair. I'll pee in the trees. I'll be outside, likely in a windy environment, with a mask on as will everyone around me. I just don't think the risks are that high (hopefully not famous last words!). And for the benefits, well, you all know. And as Warren Miller said, "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." And I ain't getting any younger . . .

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This was yesterday, doesn't seem like CO wants to shutdown skiiing at least yet....

No, they're not going to directly shut down the ski mountain operations, at least no yet, but they will effectively achieve that for all the Front Rangers with the higher level lock downs that are hitting the most populated counties. For those of us living in counties that move to a stay-at-home order, skiing will be off-limits. I wonder if they'll start checking where skiers are coming from in the mountain counties like they did last Spring.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
No, they're not going to directly shut down the ski mountain operations, at least no yet, but they will effectively achieve that for all the Front Rangers with the higher level lock downs that are hitting the most populated counties. For those of us living in counties that move to a stay-at-home order, skiing will be off-limits. I wonder if they'll start checking where skiers are coming from in the mountain counties like they did last Spring.

Seems kind of crazy that your Gov. is telling people to come and enjoy the very safe outdoors but is yet locking down people that live in the state from doing just that. I hope you get control of things, this vaccine can't come soon enough.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know you wrote this to contrast with the continuous risk in farming, but too many people seem to look at the fatality rate. Really, it's an illness with a "97.4% survivability rate" (I'll use your statistic) and an n% totally_fucked_up_life-ability given the number of people with long COVID. That n%, which seems relatively undefined for sure but may be at least 5%, is what scares me more: once I'm dead I sure won't care, but I WILL care if I have long COVID - especially if I can't ski.

To each their own when it comes to risk management. I’ll be skiing.

Status
Not open for further replies.