• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else going to sit this one out?

Are you planning on sitting this season out?

• Yes

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I've skied 4 times so far, totally distanced from everyone, couldn't be safer.

Today for the first time I started thinking about the line of chairs ahead of me and thought that I was sitting in a virus tunnel. The person on the other end of the quad is probably not an issue, but it's a fairly defined tunnel of air, with open sides of course, that people are exhaling into. So how much does it just fly away?

The person in front of me blew out some smoke and one point, tobacco. Chairs are pretty far apart. I still got a little whiff of it. So their exhalations are also coming to me.

Tiny viral load if they are infected, etc. etc. I have to ski. But it was a new thought, that tunnel of air.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Today for the first time I started thinking about the line of chairs ahead of me and thought that I was sitting in a virus tunnel... The person in front of me blew out some smoke and one point, tobacco. Chairs are pretty far apart. I still got a little whiff of it. So their exhalations are also coming to me.

Tiny viral load if they are infected, etc. etc. I have to ski. But it was a new thought, that tunnel of air.

Emphasis mine there, of course.

I guess once you're on the chair and heading up the hill you have to ski down (or ride the chair down but... that doesn't happen often to folks on this forum).

But in the greater sense I'm guessing that very few of us on this board absolutely have to ski. Most of us can survive without skiing - perhaps not with the same quality of life or endorphin quantity, but we would survive. The handful of us who have pegged our monetary livelihood on skiing are those who have to ski, but even then most of us can pivot to other sources of income if push comes to shove.

As I've said before: we are addicts. We are addicted to skiing - and that's OK! And all of us fear the potential of withdrawal (as a great many of us experienced this spring, having to go "cold turkey" as resorts shut down in unison).

This fear is no fun at all. Some of us choose to not acknowledge or live with this fear, others embrace it, and quite a few land squarely in the middle. Again: this is all perfectly normal and shouldn't be discounted. Our happy place may not be accessible this season, or may be a rare commodity. Such are pandemic times.

I'm hoping all of us get the chance to enjoy skiing this winter, even if just for one day.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Today for the first time I started thinking about the line of chairs ahead of me and thought that I was sitting in a virus tunnel. The person on the other end of the quad is probably not an issue, but it's a fairly defined tunnel of air, with open sides of course, that people are exhaling into. So how much does it just fly away?

The person in front of me blew out some smoke and one point, tobacco. Chairs are pretty far apart. I still got a little whiff of it. So their exhalations are also coming to me.

I was thinking similar thoughts yesterday while riding a chairlift, only it was a bubble chair and with the bubbles up on a nice day, the bubble acts like a scoop helping carry the exhaled air from the passengers in the chair in front with them.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

You're right. I hadn't thought of this. Darn.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I had definitely thought of it, hence my worry about a good mask. I've been behind enough smokers to know. It's worse on fixed grip, IMO... Of course maybe it's because smokers think there's plenty of time on them. I just don't notice it very often on HSQ's.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Well I will stop taking my gater down and my goggles up when I'm alone on the lift. Maybe wear an N95 on the lift?

Rudi, I get it, and it impacted me what you said. I'm 68, I have been trying for many years to attain a level of mastery of skiing that I am just on the cusp of attaining. These past 4 mornings have been amazing. It's not just the addiction, and yes, I am chasing the dragon -- but it's enhanced by this feeling of "I'm almost there."

It's like being at the last 100 feet of a climb to a summit you've been training for for over 10 years, and being told you have to turn around and go down. Well actually yes you can go up, but it's risky.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
So with my wife and daughter, currently holding flight and condo reservations for a week at Powder Mountain for President's Day week. Flights are changeable and condo can be canceled up to a week before at no cost. Both were also very cheap compared to normal President's Day week costs (e.g. $350 round-trip flights from Boston, and $100/night for a 2-bedroom, newly renovated condo). Powder Mountain seems like a good option because a) very uncrowded and they cap ticket sales also b) all lifts are chairs, so no gondolas c) parking lot is right by the base area and has been nowhere close to full any of the times I have been there previously, so no shuttle bus to ride. We were there the same time last year and it was deserted during the week, with great snow. Condo is on the access road, so we can gear up there and drive to the mountain. Even with the flights, it seems like a reasonable risk/reward scenario for us personally, and we have flexibility to change plans until very shortly before, which we won't hesitate to do so. We'll also follow whatever travel restrictions are in place for UT and/or MA. Overall, I would say there's a probably less than a 30% chance we'll make the trip, but we do at least have the option open.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seeing the reports from some of the mountains, I am getting more cynical about feeling that I can manage to go skiing in a way that will feel safe. With my constantly cold feet (even with boot heaters), I am not thrilled about the prospect of driving two hours to the mountain and then having to warm up in my car when cold.

I think that Xmas week could be a real test of the system and protocols that the various mountains have set in place. Since I rarely get more than 3-4 days prior to the end of December, it won’t be too much of a hardship to wait and see what develops. As far as travel goes, well, I don’t know. As safe as flying appears to be, I don’t relish spending 5 hours on a plane while wearing a mask, and I am beginning to think of the terminals as giant petrie dishes. As some of you know, I have an annual trip to Alta with a group of friends where we stay at the Goldminers Daughter Lodge. I think that the GMD has set up some good protocols in order to make people safe. But again, the travel to get there ... I have emailed my friends to scope out their feelings on whether we go or cancel and they have been curiously silent.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Seeing the reports from some of the mountains, I am getting more cynical about feeling that I can manage to go skiing in a way that will feel safe. With my constantly cold feet (even with boot heaters), I am not thrilled about the prospect of driving two hours to the mountain and then having to warm up in my car when cold.....
My situation too. My feet won't be cold as I use all kinds of foot warming stuff, and my body mostly won't be cold either because I overdress and prefer to sweat than be chilled. But the long drive and my desire to avoid going inside at all remain problematic. Getting the boots on and off will be interesting as the fit is race-tight.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My situation too. My feet won't be cold as I use all kinds of foot warming stuff, and my body mostly won't be cold either because I overdress and prefer to sweat than be chilled. But the long drive and my desire to avoid going inside at all remain problematic. Getting the boots on and off will be interesting as the fit is race-tight.

Are you using lace-up liners? There are lubricant sprays that can help with getting the shells on. The cold plastic will still be a concern, and a heated boot bag or judicious use of the foot blowers in the car (provided you have that space for your boots - I typically drive solo to ski so the passenger side is usually available for this) will definitely help in terms of donning your boots.

For taking them off? That can be more fraught. I've sometimes sat in the passenger seat and let the foot blower work its magic to soften the plastic. And I have used vise grips for added leverage at times (especially when I was still recovering from my leg injuries and couldn't power through the removal process).

Good luck!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

I have a friend who is in her early 80s with I think arthritis in her feet. She puts plastic bags on her feet to aid getting her boots on, then skis all day in plastic bags inside plastic boots.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a friend who is in her early 80s with I think arthritis in her feet. She puts plastic bags on her feet to aid getting her boots on, then skis all day in plastic bags inside plastic boots.
I use compression socks; they are as slippery as I can get. Plastic bags ... I've heard of that. Really? Sweat would surely accumulate inside them. I'm imagining squish squish.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you using lace-up liners? There are lubricant sprays that can help with getting the shells on. The cold plastic will still be a concern, and a heated boot bag or judicious use of the foot blowers in the car (provided you have that space for your boots - I typically drive solo to ski so the passenger side is usually available for this) will definitely help in terms of donning your boots.

For taking them off? That can be more fraught. I've sometimes sat in the passenger seat and let the foot blower work its magic to soften the plastic. And I have used vise grips for added leverage at times (especially when I was still recovering from my leg injuries and couldn't power through the removal process).

Good luck!
This is my issue. I have lace-up liners, a heated boot bag, and a lubricant spray and a newly purchased boot horn so donning the boots won‘t be much of an issue. It’s getting them off. I will definitely have to sit in the car with the floor blower on them for a bit. Wish I had remote start on my vehicle to warm it up prior, oh well.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is my issue. I have lace-up liners, a heated boot bag, and a lubricant spray and a newly purchased boot horn so donning the boots won‘t be much of an issue. It’s getting them off. I will definitely have to sit in the car with the floor blower on them for a bit. Wish I had remote start on my vehicle to warm it up prior, oh well.

I hear you with the lack of remote start. I have a manual transmission car and remote start is out of the question. I'll manage - at least in PA we don't have the mega chill of more northern climes.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
Opening day at mt hood meadows is tomorrow and I’m gonna head up. I feel comfortable with the level of risk while outdoors. I’ll stay out of the lodge, I’ve never spent much time in it anyway. I was on a conference call with the mountain a couple weeks ago and I believe they’re prepared to operate entirely outdoors with porta-potties and such, if needed.

I won’t be getting on any airplanes to go skiing this season.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Adding remote start isn’t too expensive. @Rudi Riet it is possible to put remote start in a manual with the right parts but most shops won’t do it for liability reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January