• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else going to sit this one out?

Are you planning on sitting this season out?

• Yes

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll revert to my earlier years of skiing when I couldn't afford a ski resort meal and my lunch was a couple of Cliff bars and a bottle of water on the chair.

I haven't partaken of of a $17.50 bowl of chili in years! I hit the lifts when they open skiing non-stop until 1 or 2 then head in for lunch. Vail Co. makes zero extra money off my skiing, unless they happen to have an interest in City Market or Broken Compass in Breck!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't partaken of of a $17.50 bowl of chili in years!

But it's delicious and the best part is after 3 spoonfuls it's all gone and you can get back on the slopes!

I've been slowly coming to grips that skiing may not happen for me and my son this year. Given the trends it's likely that MA may be our only option. VT is effectively closed and who knows what "Live Free or Die" NH will do. Plus, I also have to convince my ex-wife that it's safe for Noah to go skiing and right now I can't say that I fully stand by that statement.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Taking a wait and see attitude myself. Going into semi-retirement at the end of the year, and was looking forward to the inexpensive senior pass at Camelback. With the way things were in early autumn , decided to hold off buying that to see how they would handle the lodge. With cases on the rise and severe travel restrictions (which no doubt will be largely ignored) I'm putting everything on pause until after the first of the year. Only then will it be clear how the bulk of the season will shape up.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To each their own when it comes to risk management. I’ll be skiing.

Like I've said elsewhere: when every "to each his own" ends up with people going skiing en masse, then we have problems. It's like the scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian, where Brian tells his followers that they're all individuals and they respond in unison, "we are all individuals!"

Anywho...

Be safe. Wear a mask all the time (yes, even when skiing, especially when on-trail at resorts). And please, please refrain from traveling during the holidays. We are all potential vectors for this thing, and the more we spread our net far-and-wide the less likely it is that the pandemic will end anytime soon.

Yes, vaccines are on the horizon. But it's going to be a long time before there's enough of the population vaccinated to provide any true modicum of safety - likely by next autumn or winter.

Let's lay it out here, bare for all to see: we are all addicts. We are addicted to skiing and to the outdoors. And all of this sheltering, lockdown, et cetera is denying us our ready fix. We are in the midst of intense withdrawal and it's painful.

The only reason I will be skiing this season (if we even have a workable season in the Mid Atlantic) is because it's a paying job for me - my only paying job at the present time. Just for the purpose of getting my fix recreationally I'm willing to sit this season out if it means contributing to our society overcoming a truly horrific pandemic.

I missed almost an entire season in 2013-14 (got to ski a handful of times before my injury in January 2014). It was excruciating but I managed to get over the hump and look toward the future. It's possible, but it takes work, dedication, a sense of humor, and a big dose of humble pie to make it through. We all can do this - we really can! It's tough - the best things in life aren't always easy.

So to remix Eric's sentiment: I'd rather be skiing - but I'm fine with sitting this season out if that's the best way to help the health of our greater community.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I think I'm staying home this winter. I'll pay my share of the winter rental, just because it's the right thing to do. The four us of have been renting the same place from longtime ski friends for many years. Besides I have some of my stuff still there.

May be if VT changes the restrictions later in the season, I'll go up.

Heard from one of the ski buddies who has a place in town, (Ludlow VT) he's staying in CT also this season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I'm staying home this winter. I'll pay my share of the winter rental, just because it's the right thing to do. The four us of have been renting the same place from longtime ski friends for many years. Besides I have some of my stuff still there.

May be if VT changes the restrictions later in the season, I'll go up.

Heard from one of the ski buddies who has a place in town, (Ludlow VT) he's staying in CT also this season.
I hope you get a chance to find yourself on snow this season.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Got my trip booked, mid December mid week Winter Park Co. That county just lowered their restrictions, from red to orange with a new campaign "SOS, Save our Season". " In order to save our ski season and keep our economy alive and thriving, we need to mitigate the spread of COVID within our community, and we need to take drastic measures NOW. We need to Stop the Spread and Save our Season….just like the graphic says!"

I look forward to visiting my old stomping ground, making some turns, spending some $ and helping to stimulate that economy to keep it alive and thriving. And oh yeah, washing my hands and wearing a mask. :ogbiggrin:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Got my trip booked, mid December mid week Winter Park Co. That county just lowered their restrictions, from red to orange with a new campaign "SOS, Save our Season". " In order to save our ski season and keep our economy alive and thriving, we need to mitigate the spread of COVID within our community, and we need to take drastic measures NOW. We need to Stop the Spread and Save our Season….just like the graphic says!"

I look forward to visiting my old stomping ground, making some turns, spending some $ and helping to stimulate that economy to keep it alive and thriving. And oh yeah, washing my hands and wearing a mask. :ogbiggrin:
Are you staying in the resort lodging or will you have to navigate through the lottery/reservations system to get lift tickets for those dates?

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Are you staying in the resort lodging or will you have to navigate through the lottery/reservations system to get lift tickets for those dates?
Just bought tickets on their website for the days I'm going to ski, booked a condo with Ainnb. I just cross my fingers now this covid crap stays under control and SOS campaign is successful.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd rather be skiing - but I'm fine with sitting this season out if that's the best way to help the health of our greater community.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.
I really don't think we have to sit it out if we're smart about how we do it.

We have been booting up in the parking lot, taking picnic lunches and keeping our distance from others.
The only lodge visits have been to use the bathroom and the lodges are deserted.
Mammoth's lodges are at 25% capacity.
Mt Rose isn't doing any inside dining yet and are looking at minimal capacity when they do open.
No one is getting on a lift with a stranger.
Lift mazes are spread apart so that you don't have lines next to each other.

The only real mask issue I saw was a group of Karens who kept pulling their masks down to talk to each other in the line, but the maze masters were diligent in telling them to keep their mouth and nose covered at all times in the lift maze.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I really don't think we have to sit it out if we're smart about how we do it.
I agree 100%. If you want to sit it out, that’s fine, but don’t shut it down.

I got a condo, I’ll be cooking my own meals, on the hill I’ll have my back pack with bottle water, never liked going in those crowded mountain lodges anyway, and the food is garbage, H2O is all I need for lunch.

Big breakfast in the morning in my condo, turn’em and burn’em all day, back to condo, quarantine myself on the balcony overlooking the mountain, fire up the BBQ, throw on a T-bone steak, pour a whiskey, and look forward to “Shred Another Day”.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I got a condo, I’ll be cooking my own meals, on the hill I’ll have my back pack with bottle water, never liked going in those crowded mountain lodges anyway, and the food is garbage, H2O is all I need for lunch.

Big breakfast in the morning in my condo, turn’em and burn’em all day, back to condo, quarantine myself on the balcony overlooking the mountain, fire up the BBQ, throw on a T-bone steak, pour a whiskey, and look forward to “Shred Another Day”.

Worst case scenario (short of the lift shut down entirely) would be you have to get tested before you are allowed to go there or get there 2 weeks early before you're cleared to go out and ski. . I totally understand if leaders have to shut everything down. I would do that if the hospitals reach more than 85% capacity. I also totally understand going out and getting it while they are still allowing it to happen. I'd be skiing today if the honey do list wasn't still unchecked. First weekend in December is usually the little mountain place's $% lift tickets anniversary party. I'll probably go for a couple hours if that's still on.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Plan is to do a lot of hiking in very small groups to ski locally. Ride lifts if they are available in my local area. If this can be done safely (for me and for others), I'll ride lifts to ski. If not, I won't. Current weather forecast tells me that I don't have to worry about this for a while. I usually don't get on snow until early December anyway. Looks like a bit of a late start so far.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just want to point out that shutdown precautions aren’t only to prevent people from catching COVID, they also serve to prevent people bringing COVID in from other areas, which should be carefully considered.

People coming in from other areas and spreading COVID may keep me from skiing at my local areas. And for that matter, may raise the risk locally, not just for skiing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere, but I've booked slopeside, or walk to lifts, lodging for my trips this year to make it easier to to isolate myself from others, in addition to others from me. I don't have an issue eating at home, and not going to après. I will miss the warm-up break for lunch when I'm skiing with others, but I've had plenty of days without a stop too.

My biggest potential issue, I think, is if I get sick while on a trip, and can't fly home. I'm planning to take my work stuff with me on trips this year, and hunker down in a hotel somewhere if need be. If I needed medical care, that might be the biggest issue. But if I can meet any quaratine/testing rules, I'll probably take my trips. FWIW, if I had to decide right now, my New Mexico trip would be off, but Colorado would still be tentatively on. I have a little more time to see how things go though.

For Colorado, it pays to be up on the up-to-date rules/restrictions... here's the current language in case you get sick while there:

If you become sick or are exposed to COVID-19 while traveling in Colorado
  • In Colorado, the local public health agency or the state public health agency may issue public health orders to quarantine or isolate if you become ill or are exposed to someone with COVID-19 while you are visiting.
  • Public health orders may limit your travel or even require you to stay in Colorado during your quarantine or isolation, at your own expense. This means you may not be able to leave the state, regardless of how you travel (e.g. private car or airplane). This ensures not only your safety but the safety of those you may come in contact with on your trip home.

Last edited:

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I have mixed feelings on this and each day find myself bouncing back and forth. I go from; I'm coaching, I'm just skiing without coaching, to I'm sitting out. Each day I watch the news and I restructure the priorities as each day it gets a little scarier. At the same time, I do feel some responsibility to the athletes, who along with wanting to improve their ski/racing abilities, also need an outlet with some sense of normalcy in their lives. So, if it can be done safely, even at the cost of convenience, I'm willing to give it a go.

I also hedged my bets over the summer. I wasn't sure I would coach or not, so I bought the epic pass for retired military. I explained that I might be coaching and they stated that if that happens, I could get refunded (we'll see). I told the mountain that I have many concerns but as long as they are addressed, I would coach. If not, I'm walking away and I don't have to worry about not being able to ski because I have my own pass. Even if I only use it two or three times all season, it will pay for itself. If I don't use it at all, it isn't going to be that bad since the retired military early season price is so good.

My plan is also to boot up at the car and aside from possibly going to the bathroom, never go inside. My concern here is not just staying warm enough myself, but making sure the athletes (U10) are warm and can get a break. It will suck to no use the locker room but I figure being in an ICU will suck more.

I'm fortunate that since March I've been working from home. The only time I leave the property is for supplies, whether food or lumber and most of that we opt for delivered. When out, I follow the rules and sanitize in the car. I used to fill up once a week. Since March I've only refueled three times and still have 3/4s a tank from the last one. Like many others, I haven't seen my kids or grandkids in months and we've cancelled our Thanksgiving plans back in September. I want this over as much as anyone, but even if 100% of the people stayed home for a full month, we'll still be living as we are today, for close to another year. If we don't learn how to live with this, we might not be living so well after it. Who knows. Maybe masks are the new seat belts.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For Colorado, it pays to be up on the up-to-date rules/restrictions... here's the current language in case you get sick while there:
If you become sick or are exposed to COVID-19 while traveling in Colorado
  • In Colorado, the local public health agency or the state public health agency may issue public health orders to quarantine or isolate if you become ill or are exposed to someone with COVID-19 while you are visiting.
  • Public health orders may limit your travel or even require you to stay in Colorado during your quarantine or isolation, at your own expense. This means you may not be able to leave the state, regardless of how you travel (e.g. private car or airplane). This ensures not only your safety but the safety of those you may come in contact with on your trip home.

And keep in mind it is still county by county. @Tex is referencing WP/MJ and Grand . It is more restrictive in Summit. And more to come probably late Tue.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I just want to point out that shutdown precautions aren’t only to prevent people from catching COVID, they also serve to prevent people bringing COVID in from other areas, which should be carefully considered.

People coming in from other areas and spreading COVID may keep me from skiing at my local areas. And for that matter, may raise the risk locally, not just for skiing.
Well said. Few seem to understand that personal behavior has more global consequences, which eventually redounds upon the individual in the long run.
I simply could not imagine flying somewhere to go skiing, under the current circumstances.
And if we don't flatten the curve now, we can kiss goodbye great skiing in February and March.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
No way I fly right now unless I had to. I hated flying even before all this covid crap, if can't drive there I'm not interested in that adventure. I got 4x drive, camper, and I can be home in no time if I have to, and can cook my t-bone steak anywhere.
IMG_4936.JPG
IMG_4774.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG

Just finished my new compact single burner rig, my wife says I need to sell these on the internet. :roflmao:

IMG_E5059.JPG

And for those in the US, remember that stands for United States, not Ununlited States. Putting up regulators borders between states, well there are smarter ways to stop the spread.

Attachments

• 1606070090116.jpeg
    1606070090116.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor