• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else going to sit this one out?

Are you planning on sitting this season out?

• Yes

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I just wanted to update that the coaches had a zoom call last night. Regarding COVID and protocols, I was happily surprised that the Mountain is imposing even more restrictions than I thought they would. I was planning on booting up in my car and found out that it is a good thing because that is the only option. As of now, no one is allowed in the building for anything other than to use the bathroom, get something from the grab and go (emphasis on "go"), and pick up in rentals. The plan isn't to use the honor system either. Staff will be on hand making sure there is no loitering. Even our training facility, that I enjoyed using for the last several years, though it would be a Chicken Coop as described in Daniel Coyle "The Talent Code", is off limits to all but coaches, and that is only to get gear in and out. No locker room use or personal storage.

I work at a small mountain that is part of a large corporation. If our little "shallow pocket" mountain (more of a hill) that doesn't move the needle can do this, hopefully others can as well. Most things being incorporated don't seem to cost much to implement, but will have a short term drastic impact on income. Long term, this is wise to make sure we keep the supply chain fed and people stay interested in the sport.

@Tricia, I could have used that book last night! Tossed and turned all night. Finally at 2 AM I got up and went to the couch. Don't know why but I go straight to sleep there.

I will only make two comments about how different states are handling things - If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid & If you can't prove it works, you can't prove it doesn't.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good morning everyone.
At the end of the day with a tired mind yesterday I faced some reports on this thread.
I woke up with a fresh mind and deleted about 8 posts, all of which had personal jabs and/or poltically charged commentary.
Some were somewhat innocent but referenced those posts or quoted those posts so may have been caught up in the clean up net.

Sorry about that but dang, stop making my hair hurt!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is my 4th week home from a 9-day hospital stay - 7 in the ICU - for COVID. Info about the durability of immunity ranges from there isn't any to forever, so I'm going to play it safe and assume the former but hope for the latter.

My ski conditioning has pretty much atrophied, but I'm back to exercising again in hopes of getting ready for some sort of a ski season. It'll take a couple of months to get my full strength and stamina back, so I will likely wait until February and see how things go before committing to anything. I already have a Super Senior pass for Monarch (only $20, so if the season bombs, I'm ok). If things stay like they are now, I might sit it out, but if things get substantially better, I'll be skiing the latter part of the season.
Holy moly dude. Hope you're recovering well.
Please keep us posted if you need anything.

I hope you don't have to sit this one out.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not even sure what to post in this thread at this point. Maybe it should be closed? Everyone is going to have to judge their own risk threshold over the next few months. It really isn't any different than a normal season except we have covid to worry about as well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not even sure what to post in this thread at this point. Maybe it should be closed? Everyone is going to have to judge their own risk threshold over the next few months. It really isn't any different than a normal season except we have covid to worry about as well.
Trust me, I thought about not opening it back up.
The problem is, its good to stay informed about resort practices, (ski school, teams, patrolling, lodge access, etc) But we're running into a lot of shaming and criticism which is not helping anyone.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

^Pretty much. Or just leave the thread to the folks that are going to "sit this one out" as the title implies Hope everyone has a happy and more importantly safe Thanksgiving.

Not shaming anyone BTW, people have to make their own risk based decisions that are right for them.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well before it closes- I'll post this up for discussion
We are planning a trip from Mid February to early March to Salt Lake. Will be staying in SLC and planning on skiing the area with the Ikon pass. I know that as of today, Utah doesn't have any traveler restrictions due to Covid. But I understand that this is very fluid as to what states are doing as well as resorts. We can back out up to a few days before we leave, but I'm hoping that things kind of shake out over the next month/ 6 weeks or so to help with our decision.
Reading through this thread as well as some others it seems that parking could be an issue at the resorts- what to do about that now? Also reservations for the area resorts? As of today it doesn't seem that they are required, but I'm sure this will change.
I'm open for any words of advice/wisdom. But I know that wisdom could be sketchy :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also reservations for the area resorts? As of today it doesn't seem that they are required
I thought Alta/Snowbird were requiring parking reservations (per your other point)... so even if Ikon isn't requiring reservations, you might still have to make them for parking.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep- I read that also. So what happens if you don't have a parking reservation? How do you get to the mountain, yadda, yadda, yadda?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
would have to check on this, but not really excited about riding on a bus....

I agree from a COVID point of view. Aside from that I took the bus up to Snowbird last season and it was pretty easy. If you can't get a parking reservation then I'm not sure how you get up LCC without the bus. Uber?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
would have to check on this, but not really excited about riding on a bus....
I think the windows open on those buses. That with a mask should be OK for the time you’re on the bus. I wouldn’t want to do it, but I‘m not sure what the alternative would be.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think the windows open on those buses. That with a mask should be OK for the time you’re on the bus. I wouldn’t want to do it, but I‘m not sure what the alternative would be.
That can be a pretty long ride on a powder day.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
No good answers for this- plus I feel that things are going to change, and not for the better. In the end, we will probably cancel the trip and try again the following year.
I will look into making reservations at multiple resorts during our stay and see how that goes.

notoriousstu

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I chose to have some shoulder surgery and am likely sitting the year out. Vail corp’s weak refund policy and poor performance in Australia are added reasons. Why renew your pass when you got burned last year (and they already threatened to raise the price again this week.)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Best guess is three months. Nobody knows for sure though.

I heard Whitefish is trying their best to run normal operations.. Montana might be a good place to book

FWIW, to my understanding, Montana beds are full. Patients are being transported to OR and WA. Montana and ID might get the entire PNW shut down. Don't book there. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online