• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone familiar with Helly Hansen uniform program items?

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A ski school I work with part time is switching from Karbon to HH for uniforms next year and I need to place an order soon. For jackets we have a choice of three "sequoia" models- a shell, a 60g insulated version, and a version with 100g in the body and 80g in the sleeves. The shell is a 3L HellyTech waterproof/breathable, the others are 2L.

For my personal gear I already have a 3L shell/pant set up, so for these I was thinking of going with the insulated version (it's frequently cold when I'm teaching here in MN). However, the shell is $30 more than the insulated one and $55 more than the 60g one, so I'm wondering if I'm giving up quality to go with the insulated version vs the shell. For pants I was planning on going with the Mule Coach bib (60g), but I can also get the Falcon Full Zip Pant 2.0 (80g). I'm curious if anyone has any comments on those too.

Thanks for any feedback on these items!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have some Vail employees here that I am sure can comment since HH is Vails supplier. I will say that most uniform programs go out to the lowest bidder and for the supplier to be able to get to the lowest price, compromises need to be made and that is usually in quality.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I figured some here already had these items. I have to buy mine, and (although not marked up by the school), they aren't super cheap. The shell jacket is nearly $300. I mean, it's not Patagonia or Arctyrex retail pricing, but for that price for a uniform program I expect them to be at least somewhat decent. I rarely wear my current uniform items unless I'm teaching with that program, although I'll use the pants when it's really cold as my personal pants are just shells.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have had a variety of HH uniforms. None insulated. In the locations where I taught, altitude was a factor, so it could be a shell and baselayer day below, and something more up top.

My sense is that an insulated jacket might be a bit much for your spring break. But maybe ideal for your Christmas? In places where I taught, below zero was frequent at night. Rare during the day.

Maybe your HH rep could better direct? To me, it feels like I can always layer up. Shedding on a warm day, with an insulated jacket, would be tough.

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My season with that program is December-February. Warm days do happen during that time in MN but not a lot. Just worked a day where it started out at -3f and peaked at +3f, that isn't super unusual either. Also, some of that time is teaching in a race course, which might mean me standing still and not skiing, which is cold. Also means I set the course, frequently by myself, so that can get a bit sweaty.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
We (Timberline Lodge, Mt Hood, Oregon) have HH shells and jacket liners for our uniforms. I don't know the model, but I'm very happy with the waterproofness and wind resistance of the shell. In fact, I've never worn the insulated inner jacket liner, as the shell provides enough warmth.

The zipper is a bit too finicky for my taste, I always seem to take several tries to get the zipper engaged and sliding....

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! I'm normally a shell person myself, although on the really cold days there is something kind of nice about an insulated ski jacket as well. I find myself using it for walking the dog too :) Given that that the shell is 3L and the others 2L, I should probably just buy that one. But it's unlikely to get used in wet conditions and there isn't a 3L pant option to match (only 2L pants)...

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I patrol at a VR location in the midwest, and don't have any real complaints about the uninsulated shell. I just layer appropriately, and it's fine in rain. I've been issued the same jacket for, what... maybe eight seasons now? It's holding up fine.

The left breast pocket is too small to hold the radio without the antenna poking out of the zipper, so I have to check it periodically to make sure the zipper hasn't worked its way open. And I have to hang the mike from the pull cord of the hood, because there's no loop for that purpose. Minor annoyances.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
I patrol at a VR location in the midwest, and don't have any real complaints about the uninsulated shell. I just layer appropriately, and it's fine in rain. I've been issued the same jacket for, what... maybe eight seasons now? It's holding up fine.

Yeah, the shell works just fine. I just layer up as needed on super cold days. Good in the rain and good in the wind too.
My biggest complaint about the shell is that they are not very breathable. If you work up a sweat you can start feeling like a baked potato real quick.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My husband teaches in HH. The older uniforms (also HH) were what I referred to as "sweat bags"--almost a canvas-like fabric. They were awful. The new ones (two seasons old now) are much better--nice weight and breathability with decent tech features. The uniform comes with an insulated liner jacket (that many wear as their only jacket on sunny days) that my husband finds is too warm. But, Utah cold is not like MN cold so there's that.

One unfortunate thing is they are a beautiful bright red but are prone to fading. The instructors who teach a ton have had some fading of their uniforms.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One unfortunate thing is they are a beautiful bright red but are prone to fading. The instructors who teach a ton have had some fading of their uniforms.
May be fortunate in that one can look to get someone with a faded uniform who is likely to have some experience rather than being an oily rag! Sleuth out the hue of your instructor’s uniform before forking out the $1,200!

Sponsor

Staff online