• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone have a decent eye for the used car market and pricing?

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still haven't reached back out to the dealer, I am tempted to bite the bullet and just go new. At least with a new purchase, I can more easily quantify the quality of the deal. My wife is very anti-red interior... :D

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still haven't reached back out to the dealer, I am tempted to bite the bullet and just go new. At least with a new purchase, I can more easily quantify the quality of the deal. My wife is very anti-red interior... :D
you'll just have to start dressing like this with that interior...
1654278761054.png

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Notice the Bavarian propeller BMW logo on the steering wheel.

"Many people believe the BMW logo is a stylized propeller. But the truth is a little different."

I like the propeller story...the logo backed into the story somewhat, but it works...and I like the logo. Its simple to draw for a hack or a kid and is very recognizable

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I saw this yesterday and thought of this thread.
PXL_20220602_205742114.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220602_205717203~2.jpg

PXL_20220602_205728856.MP~2.jpg

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a window sticker for a new Ford F-150 Lightning that's currently for sale in the Atlanta area. I'll cheerfully pay a $3,000 bird-dog fee to anyone who can find me a Lightning at MSRP...

Attachments

• Lightning.jpg
    Lightning.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 30

Uncle-A

Skier
Here's a window sticker for a new Ford F-150 Lightning that's currently for sale in the Atlanta area. I'll cheerfully pay a $3,000 bird-dog fee to anyone who can find me a Lightning at MSRP...
What is the"Market Adjustment" fee on that window sticker? It looks like dealer theft to me.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our local dealer just got one last week Tuesday. They can not even offer it for sale for 6 months. Show and test drives only by agreement with Ford.

Uncle-A

Skier
Back to the original question about finding a good used car. One place to look would be the rental car businesses, they sell there cars from time to time and they are reasonably good with their maintenance so the car may be in good shape. The price may not be the lowest but you could get a decent vehicle.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2008 epa started tier 4 . Basically made all new diesel trucks to start getting DEF systems and Ultra low sulphur diesel. Diesel used to be a mix of leftovers so to speak. Tier 4 made the refineries refine the sulphur and other items. So not only do we get the jump in fuel costs, we get to pay for the extra cost of urea.

Our 2007 diesel Sprinter was the last of the non-DEF engines for that van -- though low sulfur fuel was required.

Darn near resulted in a fist fight between friends when we put it up for sale.......

Boat- A hole in the water where you throw money.

The two happiest days in a boat owner's life: purchase day and sale day!

My wife is very anti-red interior... :D

Honey, it's actually more of a burgundy!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Back to the original question about finding a good used car. One place to look would be the rental car businesses, they sell there cars from time to time and they are reasonably good with their maintenance so the car may be in good shape. The price may not be the lowest but you could get a decent vehicle.
Not if you get one I've rented :ogbiggrin: ;it's been abused;).
Also maintenance isn't as good as they claim. I can't even count the number of times they didn't have the correct amount of air in the tires. If that's any indication, I have to wonder about oil changes being done on time.

Uncle-A

Skier
Also maintenance isn't as good as they claim. I can't even count the number of times they didn't have the correct amount of air in the tires. If that's any indication, I have to wonder about oil changes being done on time.
One of the guys I go fishing with, his wife worked for one of the rental companies and they took good care of their vehicle. In fact my friend would purchase one from time to time for their family.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, my first car -- a 1965 Dodge Dart -- started life as a rental car, and I put 200,000 miles on it, so you must be wrong! ;)

Of course cars of that day were so simple to repair and rebuild, I think I went through two engine/transmissions, two differentials, and assorted alternators, voltage regulators, and water pumps.

Uncle-A

Skier
Well, my first car -- a 1965 Dodge Dart -- started life as a rental car, and I put 200,000 miles on it, so you must be wrong! ;)

Of course cars of that day were so simple to repair and rebuild, I think I went through two engine/transmissions, two differentials, and assorted alternators, voltage regulators, and water pumps.
You got to love those old Mopar cars. My first car was a 1961 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6 and push button transmission.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

but same old car.... :ogbiggrin: