• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I agree, but also have seen simple mechanics suggestions create better turnshape.

For example coaching an intermediate student to move their weight early to the new "power" ski (as I often call the Outside ski) has worked wonders in many lessons for me.

I've had students (young adults in this case) say "wow, it just got so much easier to ski from just doing that."

Re- Simple mechanics: Of course. My method is excruciatingly simple (but does require good demonstration)... 1) Visualize the turn shape. 2) Guide the turn shape with your inside ski. 3) Allow your body to find it's natural positioning, based on the general direction of travel combined with where momentum and cent. force are pulling it [ ALLOWING naturally occurring pressure] relative to the direction change of the turn shape. After that, it's just experiencing the dynamics and the adjustments needed as the dynamics change. I can teach from those three elements at any level.

Re- Early weight transfer: You have to be very careful with early weight transfer- which can hamper edge change and/or early edge control. Often the natural tendency and result when one TRIES to transfer pressure prematurely by shifting weight is moving the mass opposite the general direction of travel. I see that all the time. By being aware and able to control the CoM and direction travel, early "weight transfer" is unnecessary and sometimes even unwanted. IMO a smooth transition of pressure from left to right to left, etc, in the appropriate moments, allows for maximum versatility. My question a few replies ago was "When should one transfer pressure"? The answer is: IT DEPENDS, and doesn't have to happen at a particular time to be effective, as long as the (lateral) body position is, in any given moment, in the right place so one can adjust L/R (inside/outside) pressure with flexion/extension. Someone mentioned that they "try to keep their inside ski very light". I don't have to try to keep my inside light. It tends to be so light I often have to consciously extend my inside so it has some amount of pressure on the snow just to keep snow contact.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was a one footed skier for many years when I raced. Then I moved to powder country where you can ski untracked after lunch and the one footed "Stenmark" skiing was a real problem in the powder with one ski going the right way and the unweighted ski going it's way. Took me over 2 yrs to get this out of my system.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Was a one footed skier for many years when I raced. Then I moved to powder country where you can ski untracked after lunch and the one footed "Stenmark" skiing was a real problem in the powder with one ski going the right way and the unweighted ski going it's way. Took me over 2 yrs to get this out of my system.

You just need bigger skis... ;)

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
You just need bigger skis... ;)

Or a Mono!

Seriously, I never was a one footed skier, but I now had to learn to do it, not only, but also to demonstrate actual good skiing on one ski only, either alternatively lifting the inside ski, or keeping the same ski up fro, the snow (making the one ski that has contact ,alternatively the inside ski or the outside ski) in the three basic form of turns (short-medium-long). The only one managed to ski decently one footed on the same ski, are the short turns, and this after two season's efforts. Long turn were ok last year (inside ski lifted only), sucked this year. Medium turns (same ski lifted last year...sucked) inside ski lifted, first time ever this season...totally sucked. A ton of work to do. sigh.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was introduced to Lito Tejada Flores's book "Breakthrough on Skis" by an older teacher when we were chaperoning school ski trips for my wife's school. He had read it over and over, and brought it with him on every trip. I bought my own copy and interspersed the drills into my ski days and integrated the techniques into my skiing. It absolutely changed my skiing and gave me balance and control that I did not previously have. I love the feeling of weighting that outer ski and feeling the response underfoot as the ski responds and carves through the turn. I doubt I would have ever moved beyond death skid turns down the mountain if I hadn't been turned on to the book. In fact, I doubt I would have stuck with skiing.
I have found very few how-to books, in any field, that actually lead to change. "Breakthrough on Skis" did for me.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Get the most recent version "on the new skis" or something.
Yes he might be a little too legs together, one-footed - but the technique of skiing that he presents is spot on and he does it really well.

One of the best educators in skiing ever.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
World biggest Lito fan here.

The drills are still all killer despite the evolution of ski design.

However all the drills were pretty standard Centerline or ATS stuff that I already knew. It was the beauty, majesty and flow of that production that was so inspiring.

Lito never suggested you should ski around on one foot all the time.

We talkin’ ‘bout practice.

Still the best video ever produced about ski instruction. A bit dated but magnificent!

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Get the most recent version "on the new skis" or something.
Yes he might be a little too legs together, one-footed - but the technique of skiing that he presents is spot on and he does it really well.

One of the best educators in skiing ever.

I didn’t find the other video as inspiring as the first. The 3rd was better than the 2nd.

Perhaps during this long covid19 winter of no skiing and lots of guitar playing and studying instead I’ll dig em out and have another look see.

The Jerry Berg and HH demonstration skiing Lito uses to illustrate elite turning is always worth a look.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I'm talking about the book.
This is the definitive how to ski book.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t think about or worry about which foot I’m skiing on. I let the force generated by the turn define that as I turn. I’m never standing entirely on one ski entirely unless I’m doing a drill.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Big Lito fan. Whether you endorse his technique or not, the thing I think that distinguished him so much was a tremendous ability to articulate and describe what he was doing. Lito IMHO was a tremendous writer - communicator. Shouldn’t say “was” as he is obviously still with us per the video. Anyway have his videos and books and enjoyed them immensely.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And...he beautifully conveys his love of being out in the wild mountains and being at home in the winter.

Sponsor