• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Brown truck stopped at my house today

IMG_5759.JPG

Costco online order, drop shipped from Theragun

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

"What Can a Massage Gun Actually Do?"

"Like all recovery tools, massage guns aren’t a magic bullet—they’re limited in what they can do. At its core, the device can help increase blood flow and alleviate tightness and pain in the short term, says Brian McLaughlin, a physical therapist whose specialities include athletic rehabilitation.

While there isn’t a plethora of studies on the effectiveness of massage guns, recent research indicates that you may experience increased mobility for a few hours after using the device, he says. However, a massage gun isn’t an all-in-one recovery tool. While it can be an aspect of your post-workout routine, it can’t replicate other critical elements.

“It’s not going to replace a full workout or a full stretching routine,” says Jessica Valant, a physical therapist and Pilates instructor. You still need to be working on the mobility of your joints to keep them healthy—something that the percussive device can’t play a role in, she says.

"The key lies in pairing the two recovery techniques, massaging and active movement, like stretching, together. Ultimately, that’s what’s going to give you the greatest benefit in the long run, says McLaughlin.

This also gives you some autonomy over your recovery. Instead of needing someone else to massage you or work out your muscles, you can do it yourself, Valant says. That’s certainly the case for me. With a limited budget for a glorious post-workout massage session, my percussive gun gives me a similar kind of stimulation.

It also may not be the best tool for everyone. As with anything when it comes to your health, consult a medical professional before reaching for the device—especially if you’re pregnant or are dealing with a severe injury or infection."

"Can You Overuse a Massage Gun?"​

"If you’re using a massage gun safely, then the possibility of overdoing it is unlikely to arise. Much of it comes down to timing. Typically, McLaughlin recommends only using the device for 30 seconds to two minutes on a particular muscle group. “Keep it moving and pay attention to your body,” he says. “If you find yourself tensing up more, move to a new spot or maybe change the intensity or setting.”

Using a massage gun too much can result in bruising—and potentially leave you feeling more sore than you did before grabbing the tool, Valant says.

If you’re turning to it for an extended time after every workout, you may need to reevaluate the intensity of your exercise regimen, McLaughlin says. Sure, you can reach for your massage gun after your long runs, but not after every session.

I kept McLaughlin’s words in mind this past week, taking a closer look at my recovery routine. After my Saturday long run, I pressed the device into my quads and calves, but I also paired it with a five-minute mobility routine. So, yes, I’m still obsessed with my massage gun, but now I’m thinking about my long-term fitness goals."

www.outsideonline.com

I’m Obsessed with My Massage Gun. Is That a Bad Thing?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was at Costco the other day and picked up a Sharper Image Compact Sport Power Percussion gun. This thread had previously piqued my interest but I thought the cost of entry for Theragun was a little too steep to take a flyer on what might not, in the end, be useful to me. With the $50 price tag and Costco's return policy I decided to take the leap. And you know how it goes when you're roaming the isles at Costco...

I'm now a believer because the gizmo is actually helping a chronic trigger point in my lower back that has bedeviled me for 20+ years. A week and a half is a little early to declare victory, but I'm really encouraged. Tonight I found this web site and I thought it would be of interest to others here:

They really dig into specs/features and make some good points for making choices between value and performance. (Spoiler alert: Theragun doesn't monopolize the ratings) I have the Ekrin Bantam on order and hope it's as good as they say. Then maybe I'll spring for a full sized device...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After taking up golf this summer, I started to use my Theragun again. Finding muscles I wasn't using before.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Third bike/skate season with the Theragun mini. Figure I've already gotten durability-value out of it to match a budget brand.

If I was to get another, it would be primarily to be able to reach behind the shoulder blades.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have much trouble with sore muscles. I tried someone's (@KevinF 's actually) after skiing a couple years ago, and my reaction was that it was nice but not something I'd spend money on.

But I do get twitchy legs some nights, especially if I have been in my desk chair too long. I tried a theragun clone on my calf muscles for the first time yesterday, and wow! it calmed them right down.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried a Theragun in an outdoors store a couple of years back for a few brief minutes and also thought it was nice but not something I'd spend money on. However, like I said above, I'm very encouraged that a specific trigger point that has been with me ever since tweaking my back warming up for a golf outing some 20+ years ago is discernibly improved after only a week and a half with the Sharper Image massager (it definitely doesn't qualify to be called a percussion gun). That trigger point has persisted through scores of personal massage sessions over the years. If this Ekrin gun banishes it, I would consider it a medical miracle.

BTW, the review article I referenced in post #163 has 20% off codes for Ekrin (and other brands as well) guns.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have much trouble with sore muscles. I tried someone's (@KevinF 's actually) after skiing a couple years ago, and my reaction was that it was nice but not something I'd spend money on.

But I do get twitchy legs some nights, especially if I have been in my desk chair too long. I tried a theragun clone on my calf muscles for the first time yesterday, and wow! it calmed them right down.
If you're having twitchy calf muscles, try using a percussion therapy on your calf as well as your IT band.
You'll be amazed at what that does

Sponsor

Staff online