• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Another big factor is a quality recovery drink. A few years ago I got on Proven4Sports. Up until then, if I had a heavy leg workout, I could count on DOMS. With their pre-workout and post workout drinkl, zero DOMS.

My drill now is to ski, change out of ski cloths and into workout wear, and finish my legs with leg extensions ion the gym. Then recovery drink.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another big factor is a quality recovery drink. A few years ago I got on Proven4Sports. Up until then, if I had a heavy leg workout, I could count on DOMS. With their pre-workout and post workout drinkl, zero DOMS.

My drill now is to ski, change out of ski cloths and into workout wear, and finish my legs with leg extensions ion the gym. Then recovery drink.

So I've been reading up a bit since your post. Do you drink these only on ski/workout days or do you take anything daily to help with this? The pre-workout has creatine in it but from what I've read that's something to take daily to help your muscles.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a Theragun. It is really good! Highly recommend it! Is it a cure all , no, but definitely loosens you up! Have a foam roller too,. The Theragun is entirely different.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
So I've been reading up a bit since your post. Do you drink these only on ski/workout days or do you take anything daily to help with this? The pre-workout has creatine in it but from what I've read that's something to take daily to help your muscles.

The pre-workout drink I only use before monster weight sessions. The recovery, I use more often. Like today, I skied 6 hours, and did a recovery drink as soon as I was finished. Part is for the aspect of hydration. I'll be skiing every day this week at higher elevations in CO., and will do a recovery drink every day, immediately after skiing.

Creatine is awesome stuff. However research shows that muscles are saturated after about 10 days of 20g per day, or 30 - 45 days of 5g per day. Not sure if more micro-dosing has a profound effect.

Proven4's major channel of distribution are pro sports teams, their athletes and trainers. They are third paty, inependent certified by NSF. I really like that level of scrutiny.

Check this article out.

Enjoy.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The pre-workout drink I only use before monster weight sessions. The recovery, I use more often. Like today, I skied 6 hours, and did a recovery drink as soon as I was finished. Part is for the aspect of hydration. I'll be skiing every day this week at higher elevations in CO., and will do a recovery drink every day, immediately after skiing.

Creatine is awesome stuff. However research shows that muscles are saturated after about 10 days of 20g per day, or 30 - 45 days of 5g per day. Not sure if more micro-dosing has a profound effect.

Proven4's major channel of distribution are pro sports teams, their athletes and trainers. They are third paty, inependent certified by NSF. I really like that level of scrutiny.

Check this article out.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the additional information. I know we're off-topic from the Theragun but it's appreciated.

JeffKendall

you get X turns in this life... don't waste them
Skier
Hello, y'all, and thanks for having me. Pardon my tardy reply. My go-to talking points for Theragun advantages are:
- the triangle-shape of the handle makes it remarkably easier to treat more places on your own body without contorting to get there.
- the motor has a no-stall pressure capability higher than the me-toos... that makes for a consistent treatment with an almost overly durable motor.
- the depth of treatment is16mm on the full size devices, and the gear-bag-worthy Mini packs a whopping 10mm. Similar to fluffing a pillow, you're not going to regain loft by mildly moving it.
- the app will guide users through warm-up and recovery routines for a litany of exercises and activities. This is the unsung hero for best practices, a timer and feedback for pressure.
- for price concerns, $399 for the Elite commonly equates to 4-5 massages. It doesn't have to replace massages but the value prop is more visible.

In short, grab an Elite for home, a Mini for travel (bag, console, office), and then a Duo/Solo. Then we'll talk about RecoveryAir.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In short, grab an Elite for home, a Mini for travel (bag, console, office), and then a Duo/Solo. Then we'll talk about RecoveryAir.
IMG_9602.JPG

@noofus uses this. He's a triathlete and swears by it.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello, y'all, and thanks for having me. Pardon my tardy reply. My go-to talking points for Theragun advantages are:
- the triangle-shape of the handle makes it remarkably easier to treat more places on your own body without contorting to get there.
- the motor has a no-stall pressure capability higher than the me-toos... that makes for a consistent treatment with an almost overly durable motor.
- the depth of treatment is16mm on the full size devices, and the gear-bag-worthy Mini packs a whopping 10mm. Similar to fluffing a pillow, you're not going to regain loft by mildly moving it.
- the app will guide users through warm-up and recovery routines for a litany of exercises and activities. This is the unsung hero for best practices, a timer and feedback for pressure.
- for price concerns, $399 for the Elite commonly equates to 4-5 massages. It doesn't have to replace massages but the value prop is more visible.

Jeff, what sort of lifespan can we expect with an Elite? I currently have a Hyperice Hypervolt (purchased in 2019). I’m sure it has less than 20 hours on it and recently the motor has been acting weird at start up. I’m okay with the price of the Elite if it’s going to last. I expect a Mini is going to end up in my bag soon but that would only be for travel use.

I’ve watched the videos on the RecoveryAir and while cool it’s just too expensive for me to justify.

JeffKendall

you get X turns in this life... don't waste them
Skier
well put, @cantunamunch!

@TheArchitect, I am on month 15 with my Elite and in a household of 4... That was 2 remote students, 1 remote teacher and one WFH for most of that time. A conservative estimate on mileage to date would be (15 months = 450 days) X (60% of the days used) = 270. Estimating an overly conservative 30 minutes per day in that 270 would be 135 hours of use, and it hasn't blinked, clicked, burped or faltered. It will stand up to the task again and again.

FYI-- RecoveryAir is on promo right now for $499 for the base model and $999 for the PRO. Using either of these two is the only way I can jog more than 4X per week anymore, and they provide the best seat in the house after a ski/bike day too. You're worth it.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
well put, @cantunamunch!

@TheArchitect, I am on month 15 with my Elite and in a household of 4... That was 2 remote students, 1 remote teacher and one WFH for most of that time. A conservative estimate on mileage to date would be (15 months = 450 days) X (60% of the days used) = 270. Estimating an overly conservative 30 minutes per day in that 270 would be 135 hours of use, and it hasn't blinked, clicked, burped or faltered. It will stand up to the task again and again.

FYI-- RecoveryAir is on promo right now for $499 for the base model and $999 for the PRO. Using either of these two is the only way I can jog more than 4X per week anymore, and they provide the best seat in the house after a ski/bike day too. You're worth it.

Okay, I guess I can assume a long life. Good to know. Thanks!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used the Normatech version post surgery last year, definitely useful.
When @JeffKendall demo'd it on me, I could definitely feel the calf muscles singing hallelujah!!
And my plantar faciitis didn't flare up like it usually does when I'm walking a convention floor.

Now...if Therabody had a fat burning gun....WIN!

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Normatech boots after a hard day of skiing or riding or hiking or running or standing around on concrete all day are magic!

I have some kind of amazon knock off theragun(LEGiRAL) for hitting certain specific spots or when I don't have time for a full boot cycle.

Igotsoul4u

Booting up
Skier
I've been using the theragun pro mainly for a year and a half. The pro is clutch because the battery is replaceable. Mine came with a second battery. it's nice to know the battery can always be replaced. I have know idea how long the motor will last. So far it seems to be running strong after a ton of use. Because it has a battery it can not be stored in extreme heat or cold so don't plan on leaving in the car for post workout relief. Common sense should tell you to not use it on a legit injury.

Why did I buy it?? I saw NBA players using them in basketball games and then saw one at a store on display. I tried it on my always achy lower back and happily parted with my money. I'm 43 years old and stay as active as possible mountain biking, surfing, and skiing. My job also requires me to be on my feet for about 6 hours a day so I spend alot of my days feeling sore! Ideally I would have a personal masseuse for daily treatment but obviously that's not practical. I feel like the theragun gets me similar relief to a massage. Using on my feet is so good after a long day. Overall it 100% loosens me up in a very good way. Long car rides absolutely kill me so I threw the theragun in the back one trip and used it a rest stops to reset my lower back. It really helps. The other major benefit I noticed is my soreness over the next few days is minimal if I use the theragun right after my workout.

mtngirl

Putting on skis
Skier
I feel like after reading this thread that I will be parting with some money. Thanks for all the info on things I didn't know existed.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
For those that are interested another option to consider in addition to the Theragun (or knock off) is the R8 Roll Recovery. I take this on every trip I go on, it is easier to pack than a foam roller and really relieves those aching muscles.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I received a very late Christmas gift today: a Theragun Mini. This thing packs a lot more punch than you'd think. This is the first time I've been able to compare different guns and I can say that the Theragun Mini is more effective than my full-size Hyperice. It's not a night and day difference but it's very noticeable. I'm kinda looking forward to when my Hyperice dies and I have an excuse to get the Theragun Pro.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier

This helps. But as an FYI; I called the 866 customer contact number today to get a sense of the functional difference between the Prime and the Elite and the rep was incapable of answering and just kept referring to the same info on the web site ( one extra attachment) and said also the Elite had more speeds ( which the website says is not so…) . Regardless, the rep sounded clueless across the board and certainly didn’t inspire confidence in the product.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I received a very late Christmas gift today: a Theragun Mini. This thing packs a lot more punch than you'd think. This is the first time I've been able to compare different guns and I can say that the Theragun Mini is more effective than my full-size Hyperice. It's not a night and day difference but it's very noticeable. I'm kinda looking forward to when my Hyperice dies and I have an excuse to get the Theragun Pro.
Got the full-size Hyperice for the lady @ Christmas - she always asks for the strongest person when getting her deep tissue massage, thought the Hyperice would be a hit.....totally flopped. Didnt like the percussive nature of it. I, on the other hand loved it. Too large and heavy to travel with, so got a Theragun Mini as well. it will be packed this weekend. I dont really notice that much difference between the two other than I can apply more pressure with Hyperice w/o shutting it down.

Sponsor

Staff online