• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Another big factor is a quality recovery drink. A few years ago I got on Proven4Sports. Up until then, if I had a heavy leg workout, I could count on DOMS. With their pre-workout and post workout drinkl, zero DOMS.

It's absolutely hilarious how low awareness of this is - on a forum where people ski multiple days in a row and where hydration packs are a known, accepted, thing.

JeffKendall

you get X turns in this life... don't waste them
Skier
@givethepigeye, You're correct that stall force is easier to reach with smaller devices and their intent is to be portable. The Elite and PRO models by Theragun withstand 60lbs of no-stall pressure, and the app provides guidance and feedback for better use. enjoy!

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
@givethepigeye, You're correct that stall force is easier to reach with smaller devices and their intent is to be portable. The Elite and PRO models by Theragun withstand 60lbs of no-stall pressure, and the app provides guidance and feedback for better use. enjoy!
I gather the Elite and Prime models use the same motor but have slightly different staff force…does this make a significant difference in overall performance / efficacy between the two models?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been using the Theragun Elite on my calfs and feet.
The result so far is that I wake up in the morning without having stiff ankles and calf cramps which is a "normal" thing for me.

More to come along with a full review.

I currently have the Theragun Elite and Mini to test.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our Pilates teacher lent us a Thumper gun to use because chiropractor had been using a similar device on us. (Lumbar and sacroiliac issues)

Tell me why a mini or Elite is worth 2 to 4 times the $ vs this one. This is not a rhetorical question; I am really interested to know.

He has had his for a decade or more of hard use. I am less concerned about longevity etc. than in effectiveness.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been using the Theragun Elite on my calfs and feet.
The result so far is that I wake up in the morning without having stiff ankles and calf cramps which is a "normal" thing for me.

More to come along with a full review.

I currently have the Theragun Elite and Mini to test.
Looking forward to a comparison. The mini does a really good job so why step up to the Elite or Pro? Performance wise, not features which are obvious

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking forward to a comparison. The mini does a really good job so why step up to the Elite or Pro? Performance wise, not features which are obvious
The Elite has more tools for targeting trouble spots.
The Mini only has one head, which is great but I think the other tools are nice to have.

As for a comparison, I was using the Sharper Image model that I recieved as a Christmas gift and was skeptical that the actual Theragun model was an improvement. What I can say is that the triangular shape of the handle gives me more options to use it in different positions. The gun style is limiting on where I can reach problem areas. I didn't know this until I tried the Theragun Elite.
:rolleyes:
Heck, I didn't know that I'd like using any of these until I recieved the Sharper Image unit as a gift.
Now I'm hooked.

Image of all three with included tools.
IMG_0057.jpeg

Tutorials on how to use Theragun

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Elite has more tools for targeting trouble spots.
The Mini only has one head, which is great but I think the other tools are nice to have.

As for a comparison, I was using the Sharper Image model that I recieved as a Christmas gift and was skeptical that the actual Theragun model was an improvement. What I can say is that the triangular shape of the handle gives me more options to use it in different positions. The gun style is limiting on where I can reach problem areas. I didn't know this until I tried the Theragun Elite.
:rolleyes:
Heck, I didn't know that I'd like using any of these until I recieved the Sharper Image unit as a gift.
Now I'm hooked.

Image of all three with included tools.
View attachment 159279

Tutorials on how to use Theragun

Thanks Tricia! Between the Elite and Mini do you think the Elite does the same or better for getting deep into the muscle? I’m assuming it’s better but is it $200 better?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an Opove gun that works well. It's solid but the Theragun feels a bit more refined, tighter. I don't know if the Theragun will last longer. Think high end ski vs everyday ski. They'll both get the job done but one will be *that* much nicer.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Tricia! Between the Elite and Mini do you think the Elite does the same or better for getting deep into the muscle? I’m assuming it’s better but is it $200 better?
It depends on what you are using it for.
If you need to work on your shoulder or lower back, (anything behind you really) the Mini is not as easy to maneuver.
Both are quiet.
The Mini doesn't come with any additional heads, but you can remove the one that's on it and purchase different heads separately.

You could split the difference and go with the Prime version but its a bit noisier.

The big plus for me with the elite is being able to reach my shoulder easier.
The big plus for the mini is that its smaller and easier to travel with.
:decisions:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI this is the thing the Pilates teacher uses. He says he had it over ten years with no issues. He likes the double head for working the spine without pounding vertebra. It is heavy enough that it provides its own pressure.

Jury is still out if it is really useful for therapy not recovery. Compression tights and hydrating seems to take care of that...and a hot tub!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on what you are using it for.
If you need to work on your shoulder or lower back, (anything behind you really) the Mini is not as easy to maneuver.
Both are quiet.
The Mini doesn't come with any additional heads, but you can remove the one that's on it and purchase different heads separately.

You could split the difference and go with the Prime version but its a bit noisier.

The big plus for me with the elite is being able to reach my shoulder easier.
The big plus for the mini is that its smaller and easier to travel with.
:decisions:
Thanks again. I’m really happy with the mini but I’ll suspect I’ll end up with the Elite or Pro anyway.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI this is the thing the Pilates teacher uses. He says he had it over ten years with no issues. He likes the double head for working the spine without pounding vertebra. It is heavy enough that it provides its own pressure.

Jury is still out if it is really useful for therapy not recovery. Compression tights and hydrating seems to take care of that...and a hot tub!
That link isn’t working on my phone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks again. I’m really happy with the mini but I’ll suspect I’ll end up with the Elite or Pro anyway.
The Pro may be overkill. The Elite has more features than I even know about yet. Still researching to get a review ready.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The link isn't working.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Pro may be overkill. The Elite has more features than I even know about yet. Still researching to get a review ready.

It probably is. I do like the arm that can be changed to different angles and only the Pro has it. Having a removable battery seems like a good option if there's ever an issue with battery life. Still, it's a lot of money for those features.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Got a new Theragun Elite on eBay for about $100 off list. Very happy with the product and the 5 closed-cell attachments of different shapes that come with the Eilte model. Really helpful after a hard day of skiing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay after several days and a full review that is about to go up.
At first I was wondering what the Elite could do that the Mini couldn't other than the ergonomic triangle handle.
The Elite has the app capabilities and I've started using it.
You actually pick a routine you want for a problem area and it goes through a sequence with you and changes the intensity of the percussive massage througout the routine, taking the guessing out of it.

I'm really liking the elite.