• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay after several days and a full review that is about to go up.
At first I was wondering what the Elite could do that the Mini couldn't other than the ergonomic triangle handle.
The Elite has the app capabilities and I've started using it.
You actually pick a routine you want for a problem area and it goes through a sequence with you and changes the intensity of the percussive massage througout the routine, taking the guessing out of it.

I'm really liking the elite.
Looking forward to the review!

mtngirl

Putting on skis
Skier
Y'all are bad influences - LOL. My mini showed up today and got to try it out. My first impressions are:
  1. Very, very glad I bought the mini and attachment bundle. You basically get like an attachment free (price wise) and there were attachments that I ended up liking more than I ever would have thought. Thumb attachment on my hamstrings was amazing
  2. The standard ball attachment that is included with the mini did not impress me. I liked the damper attachment much, much better.
  3. Glad I bought the mini because not only is it travel sized, I don't see me "needing" a bigger better unit. The lowest speed is plenty and other than my shoulder I do not enjoy it on my back (I also knew that when I bought it so it wasn't a surprise)
  4. It is quieter than I thought.
I haven't tried all the attachments (honestly not sure I ever will) but I can see this being more useful than a massage stick or foam roller for butt, quads, hamstrings, calfs. I'll give a better review after I've put it through it's paces a bit more but so far I feel it was a good addition to my arsenal (not joking about having an arsenal).

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a pretty amazing physical therapist (works with the NFL and US Olympic team)that got me into them. I think it’s a game changer. You can target/release certain points in ways you couldn’t otherwise.

That said, I use a much cheaper brand than the theragun. Mines a sportineer.

also, you can find the generic ones that get rebranded on Amazon for way less on alibaba. Like 40 bucks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Y'all are bad influences - LOL. My mini showed up today and got to try it out. My first impressions are:
  1. Very, very glad I bought the mini and attachment bundle. You basically get like an attachment free (price wise) and there were attachments that I ended up liking more than I ever would have thought. Thumb attachment on my hamstrings was amazing
  2. The standard ball attachment that is included with the mini did not impress me. I liked the damper attachment much, much better.
  3. Glad I bought the mini because not only is it travel sized, I don't see me "needing" a bigger better unit. The lowest speed is plenty and other than my shoulder I do not enjoy it on my back (I also knew that when I bought it so it wasn't a surprise)
  4. It is quieter than I thought.
I haven't tried all the attachments (honestly not sure I ever will) but I can see this being more useful than a massage stick or foam roller for butt, quads, hamstrings, calfs. I'll give a better review after I've put it through it's paces a bit more but so far I feel it was a good addition to my arsenal (not joking about having an arsenal).
Glad to be of service. :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool! It’s been nice for me. Haven’t seen a big difference between it and the theragun my PT uses. Has his stamp of approval.
There is always a cost/quality/reward balance that we all need to figure out. With my cronic shoulder pain I find the triangle handle much easier to use than the models with the straight handle and the Theragun Elite is very quiet.

And to the point of @Wendy, it may seem pricy but many skiers, or athletes in general, get a massage from time to time for recovery. Paying for a massage on a vacation adds up. The cost of a quality percussion massage gun pays for itself in the long run.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Long Term Review is up in Articles.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One of the posters above made a very good point - this needs to be discussed in conjuction with/ in opposition to rolling.

Including when to choose a roller over a percussion instrument, and when not to.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA: I think this might just be for Amazon Prime members but both the Elite and Pro are listed on sale today with "Prime One-Day". The Elite is $350 (normally $400) and the Pro is on sale for $450 (normally $600).

Theragun on Amazon

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is always a cost/quality/reward balance that we all need to figure out. With my cronic shoulder pain I find the triangle handle much easier to use than the models with the straight handle and the Theragun Elite is very quiet.

And to the point of @Wendy, it may seem pricy but many skiers, or athletes in general, get a massage from time to time for recovery. Paying for a massage on a vacation adds up. The cost of a quality percussion massage gun pays for itself in the long run.
I’ve been using the Mini, and really liking it for my glutes, hip, and knee.
I don’t have any foot issues but it does feel amazing on the bottom of my feet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Long Term Review is up in Articles.
Update posted in article area.
Having battery issues with the Theragun Elite
Update:
I'm having issues with my Theragun charging. While its on the charging stand, it says its 100%, but I take it off the stand and it won't turn on. When I put it back on the stand, it says the battery is 0%.
Same thing with the ac cord as well as the charging base they sent with it.

I contacted Therabody to see if it can help me trouble shoot but haven't heard back from them other than their request to send me the order # and serial # for possible warranty exchange.

I have been searching some articles about how to properly charge percussive therapy guns and realize that I was liekly damaging the battery by leaving it on the charging stand while I wasn't using it.

I wonder if there is a way to reset the battery on something like this.
Any insights from the community?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not directly related, but it's fairly common in laptops to have charging failures only resolved by removing and reinstalling the battery. I don't know if this is possible but give it a try.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update posted in article area.
Having battery issues with the Theragun Elite
Update:
I'm having issues with my Theragun charging. While its on the charging stand, it says its 100%, but I take it off the stand and it won't turn on. When I put it back on the stand, it says the battery is 0%.
Same thing with the ac cord as well as the charging base they sent with it.

I contacted Therabody to see if it can help me trouble shoot but haven't heard back from them other than their request to send me the order # and serial # for possible warranty exchange.

I have been searching some articles about how to properly charge percussive therapy guns and realize that I was liekly damaging the battery by leaving it on the charging stand while I wasn't using it.

I wonder if there is a way to reset the battery on something like this.
Any insights from the community?

Google is pulling up some links with people having the same or similar issues. People don't appear to be happy with Therabody CS. Good luck, Tricia!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Google is pulling up some links with people having the same or similar issues. People don't appear to be happy with Therabody CS. Good luck, Tricia!
I found similar google searches.
:(

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found similar google searches.
:(

I also found some posts where both batteries for the Pro Gen 3 died at almost the same time. The person contacted CS and was told they don't make the Pro Gen 3 anymore and don't have replacement batteries (they've just released the Gen 5). I don't know if the story is true but if it is I'll stick with my Mini gun and hope for the best. Can you imagine dropping $600 on a Pro model and not have it last more than a couple years?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Personally I am a big fan of the Roll Recovery R8. I find it gives a much deeper massage and faster muscle relief than a Theragun or Foam roller. It is also easy to pack and travel with. It is also self powered so no batteries. Really good for legs, arms, glutes and even lower back. If you get a chance to try one you should. Note this does a super deep tissue massage so you need to get used to it but you no the saying No Pain No Gain .... this thing makes that real but the gain is totally worth it !!!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally I am a big fan of the Roll Recovery R8. I find it gives a much deeper massage and faster muscle relief than a Theragun or Foam roller. It is also easy to pack and travel with. It is also self powered so no batteries. Really good for legs, arms, glutes and even lower back. If you get a chance to try one you should. Note this does a super deep tissue massage so you need to get used to it but you no the saying No Pain No Gain .... this thing makes that real but the gain is totally worth it !!!
How do you engage the lower back with it? Looked on the website but didn’t find examples.