• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone used a Theragun or similar?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whats the difference from this to any of the other guns out on the market? The price is a higher for sure. TIA
It's high level Vibration tech vs Percussion tech. How your Dr uses it depends on their objectives. Realize that it's one tool at your Dr's disposal w/in their armamentarium. It's generally used as an adjunct therapy along w/ a host of other treatment modalities. These guys go into it here:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t know the technical differences but I can give you first hand experience. I started with the Hypervolt and thought it did a good job. Then I got a Theragun Mini for travel, thinking it’s going to be the same feeling but in a smaller package. I was really surprised at how much more effective the Mini was. It really gets deep into the muscle in a way the Hypervolt never did, and this was with the Mini and not the full Theragun. I haven’t used the Hypervolt in a year.
Interesting. Both units show an amplitude (stoke) of 12 mm and the speeds are close (2400 mini, 2700 hypervolt2 on high). I wonder if its the combination speed and stroke that changes perceived recoil of the unit.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's high level Vibration tech vs Percussion tech. How your Dr uses it depends on their objectives. Realize that it's one tool at your Dr's disposal w/in their armamentarium. It's generally used as an adjunct therapy along w/ a host of other treatment modalities. These guys go into it here:

Thanks for the link. I wasnt able to find anything that wasnt mfg sponsored to give any info as to the frequency making a difference.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. Both units show an amplitude (stoke) of 12 mm and the speeds are close (2400 mini, 2700 hypervolt2 on high). I wonder if its the combination speed and stroke that changes perceived recoil of the unit.
Yeah, it's an interesting question as to why one is so much more effective than the other. I could never go back to the vibration type after using the Theragun.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My Instagram feed is filled with posts about Theragun and it got me wondering about using one after a day of skiing. Pretty expensive but if it did the job it might make multi-day trips more enjoyable. Anyone here use one? https://www.theragun.com/
I borrowed a friends theragun and while it was cool and might be great for specific situations I think its a bit of an overpriced gimmick. I would pass and use a foam roller.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whats the difference from this to any of the other guns out on the market? The price is a higher for sure. TIA

I don’t know the technical differences but I can give you first hand experience. I started with the Hypervolt and thought it did a good job. Then I got a Theragun Mini for travel, thinking it’s going to be the same feeling but in a smaller package. I was really surprised at how much more effective the Mini was. It really gets deep into the muscle in a way the Hypervolt never did, and this was with the Mini and not the full Theragun. I haven’t used the Hypervolt in a year.
I've compared my Theragun Elite to a handful of other similar percussion therapy devices.
@Andy Mink has the Opove
I also have the Sharper Image (which I recently loaned to a friend who's doing therapy on her neck and shoulder)

These are reasons the Theragun is worth the $$
  • Triangle grip gives you mutliple ways to hold it while doing therapy.
  • Several Theragun models also have an app available to guide you through optimal ways to use it for different issues you may have
  • Both the Opove and Sharper IMage percussion guns stop "Percussing" with less pressure than the Theragun Mini and Elite that I've used. (This means you can put more pressure on it before it stops thumping)
This is definitely one of those tools in my house that I didn't know I needed until about a year ago.

*screen shot from Therabody web site.
Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 6.13.49 AM.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I borrowed a friends theragun and while it was cool and might be great for specific situations I think its a bit of an overpriced gimmick. I would pass and use a foam roller.
I have never gotten the hang of foam rollers, but it only took me a few weeks of using the Theragun to appreciate the benefits.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the Mini and I’ve thought about bringing it along for day trips.
Mine goes with me on every trip now. I actually ponder getting a Mini for travel but since we usually drive, taking the Elite isn't a problem.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine goes with me on every trip now. I actually ponder getting a Mini for travel but since we usually drive, taking the Elite isn't a problem.
I may try it for a day trip or two this season just to see if it makes a big difference with how my legs feel the next day. It certainly can’t hurt to try it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I may try it for a day trip or two this season just to see if it makes a big difference with how my legs feel the next day. It certainly can’t hurt to try it.

For herself it's more of a same day/ same night comfort kind of thing.

When the day plan is 3 hours there, ski for 20-25mi and 5000'+ vertical, 3 hours back, having the Theragun still means the legs are stretched out to the dashboard as she works the kinks out, but they're *not* waking her up in the middle of the night as they seize up and tighten.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've found that working with the Theragun prior to skiing helps with recovery nicely. Also I will work certain areas after skiing if I feel an extra does is ideal.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found that working with the Theragun prior to skiing helps with recovery nicely. Also I will work certain areas after skiing if I feel an extra does is ideal.
Interesting. Last season I started doing leg swings for light warm-up and it did help with my hips. Theragun for the thighs pre-ski could help me, too.

Sponsor

Staff online