• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific April skiing in the US from NZ - where should we go?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
or pick off the row and go for the best tires. Had a CRV with what looked like a ditchfinder brand of M+S out of SFO on an AZ plate but they kept trucking through the worst of Tahoe storms with confidence.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
In April? I'd go with 2wd.

But then, I'd like to live dangerously.

Seriously though, what amount of "mountain driving" will his itinerary involves?

I-70? Just wait a few hours, it'll be cleared.
Cottonwood Canyons? How many powder days will there be in 6 days of April? Take the bus.

What else? None of the national parks involves mountain passes. Las Vegas?

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Ha

You're not going to get 3pmsf tire vehicle from LAX rental companies. If they have such a snow prepped car to rent to you, expect to pay a significant upcharge like +$1000/week.

The best you can hope for is a new SUV with new OEM tires and full tread...and that will be if you're booking with the more expensive business rental companies.
Many thanks. I'll write to them before hiring to ensure there is sufficient tread as required by those states I'm visiting.

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
or pick off the row and go for the best tires. Had a CRV with what looked like a ditchfinder brand of M+S out of SFO on an AZ plate but they kept trucking through the worst of Tahoe storms with confidence.
Ah I see pick off the row. I'll write first with what our requirements are for reassurances then pick off the row when I get there.

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier

But then, I'd like to live dangerously.

Seriously though, what amount of "mountain driving" will his itinerary involves?

I-70? Just wait a few hours, it'll be cleared.
Cottonwood Canyons? How many powder days will there be in 6 days of April? Take the bus.

What else? None of the national parks involves mountain passes. Las Vegas?
I could only guess the colorado part but once we're there we wouldn't be using the vehicle.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Many thanks. I'll write to them before hiring to ensure there is sufficient tread as required by those states I'm visiting.

Now you’re writing comedy!
I was just thinking that. Babes in the woods.

(@Wade Ice there are many threads on the board discussing the profound unreliability of American rental car companies when it comes to accommodating "special needs" like decent tires, even when they seem perfectly reasonable to us skiers. And the idea that a "letter" will get you somewhere with them is amusing and endearing, because it's positively Victorian.)

Yes, hoping to be able to pick a car off the lot is your best bet.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
if there is a huge price differential 4wd vs. 2wd, i'd go with a cheap 2wd car and just buy a set of vehicle-appropriate $50 tire chains when you get near snow country. If you don't use the chains, decent chance you won't in april, then return them at end of trip (assuming you buy from a store with numerous locations around the US) and get money back.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If Breck caught your eye because of the ski town, I’d urge you to consider Telluride. I’ve never been but it’s widely regarded as the single best ski town in North America. Can’t get more “built at the base” than T-Ride… the lifts run right into town and the mountain village is halfway up the mountain… connected to town with a free gondola that runs until midnight.
Telluride is extremely scenic, even moreso than Breck, if you haven;t already committed to Breck. and its a couple hrs closer to LA,

relevant trip report: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/closing-week-at-telluride-and-crested-butte-april-2019.15144/

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Telluride is indeed one of the more beautiful ski mountains and towns in the Rockies.

Breck is kind of suburban in feel in my opinion. Steamboat is nice, pretty and closer to Utah but iffy that time of year due to lowier altitude. Although they have had a record year in snowfall so if it looks cold, could be a great option.

Since you will be driving, can you postpone the final decision until closer to departure and check the weather?

Utah has wonderful national parks, but good grief so does Montana and Wyoming... Yellowstone? Grand Teton? And Colorado Rocky Miuntain National Park and tons and tons of National Forests.

Still OP is committed to Utah so why not just stay there? The money and time saved in less travel could pay for nicer accommodations up canyon. Solitude has very competitive ski on and out lodging.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Utah has wonderful national parks, but good grief so does Montana and Wyoming... Yellowstone? Grand Teton? And Colorado Rocky Miuntain National Park and tons and tons of National Forests.

Most of Yellowstone still likely to be snowbound in April and RMNP. Don't know when GTNP typically opens up past the trailheads.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True. RMNP is open partway through for cx skiing and hiking, at least from the Grand Lake side. What's still open at Yellowstone is still pretty amazing. They used to have snowmobile access, but not sure if that was banned for good or just curtailed.

May be looking for someplace warmer though. So, point taken.

I still think it's not worth the drive from Salt Lake to Breckenridge to ski. Seems silly to me to make that drive when the skiing in and around Salt Lake is so good.

Or Mammoth in California. I haven't skied there but plenty here have (calling @Pat AKA mustski ) They often stay open in June.

Telluride is gorgeous but their closing date is April 2nd this year.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm a cross country skier. So I keep track of access to some of those parks.
What's still open at Yellowstone is still pretty amazing. They used to have snowmobile access, but not sure if that was banned for good or just curtailed.
Yellowstone in April is the "in between" season. Done with winter access (snowmobile/snowcoach) but not yet open for cars. So not a good timing to go there unless you plan to cross country ski your way in.

Don't know when GTNP typically opens up past the trailheads.
Their website said closed till April 1. However, I just called the park visitor center. They haven't got words on when exactly to start plowing the roads yet. So who knows.

In the mean time, I may get to xc ski on the unplowed roads. :)

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
BTW, think twice about going to Bryce. The trail was snow covered when I went at end of April in a year that was a "normal winter". What was "opened" was icy in the morning and sloppy in the afternoon). So for this year, I'd suspect it's best for skiing than hiking in April.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Normally I would say the same but this year has been an anomaly so far for snow with no end in sight! If you can afford it go with the best you can get. As others have said, especially tires. I think @Jim Kenney suggestion of chains is reasonable if on a budget. Even with a lot of snow, roads usually clear quickly in springtime.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LCC is posted to have snow tires or carry chains until May 1, I think. Don't think they enforce it if the road conditions are OK since I would be a sitting duck in my Corvette.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
LCC is posted to have snow tires or carry chains until May 1, I think.
You don't need either if you have AWD/4WD. Then you only need M+S tires or better. Here's the link:

And I don't think there's a date - I think it's just weather dependent; Though I can't find that officially anywhere.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January