• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific April skiing in the US from NZ - where should we go?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't need either if you have AWD/4WD. Then you only need M+S tires or better. Here's the link:

And I don't think there's a date - I think it's just weather dependent; Though I can't find that officially anywhere.
I am going by memory as to what the sign at the bottom says.

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Telluride is indeed one of the more beautiful ski mountains and towns in the Rockies.

Breck is kind of suburban in feel in my opinion. Steamboat is nice, pretty and closer to Utah but iffy that time of year due to lowier altitude. Although they have had a record year in snowfall so if it looks cold, could be a great option.

Since you will be driving, can you postpone the final decision until closer to departure and check the weather?

Utah has wonderful national parks, but good grief so does Montana and Wyoming... Yellowstone? Grand Teton? And Colorado Rocky Miuntain National Park and tons and tons of National Forests.

Still OP is committed to Utah so why not just stay there? The money and time saved in less travel could pay for nicer accommodations up canyon. Solitude has very competitive ski on and out lodging.
The choices are numerous and it's really tough. Ultimately Utah looks the least like anything I've ever seen (rocky etc) so I've gone that way. Yellowstones mostly closed and was our first option. It does make sense to be based on one location but I've committed to Breck for the first 5 days with the hope of some luck. The itch won't be scratched if it doesn't work out and nothing booked beyond that so some national parks my be struck off in Utah for a sneaky ski..

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Have you and your family stayed overnight at high elevation before? Did you have difficulties with altitude?
My wife and I are not at risk but my children are not familiar with such conditions. It's a good point but one I'll have to manage at the time... i.e turn around and cry.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
a grim wasteland of American commercial excess.
I assumed that was what attracted alot of tourists here, those not focusing exclusively on skiing or national parks, that is.

James

Out There
Instructor
My wife and I are not at risk but my children are not familiar with such conditions. It's a good point but one I'll have to manage at the time... i.e turn around and cry.
You would do well to stay a night at say 6-7k ft. Before getting to Breck.

The sun is also no joke, esp as it’s getting pretty high in the sky in April. Remember, there’s almost 2 miles less atmosphere where you’d be skiing.

At least read this basic article-
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/acute-mountain-sickness-©-2006-d-m-polaner.5734/