• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific April skiing in the US from NZ - where should we go?

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
I'm coming to US for a month and was thinking of taking my family skiing for the first week of April. We're advanced and very comfortable with icy and hard-packed, groomed snow trails but not interested in slushy snow. Is there genuinely an opportunity at this time of the year that would suit us? If so, also unsure if Tahoe or Colorado best option. Any local help so very much appreciated as it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing for us folk from NZ :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm coming to US for a month and was thinking of taking my family skiing for the first week of April. We're advanced and very comfortable with icy and hard-packed, groomed snow trails but not interested in slushy snow. Is there genuinely an opportunity at this time of the year that would suit us? If so, also unsure if Tahoe or Colorado best option. Any local help so very much appreciated as it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing for us folk from NZ :)
Where in the US will you be? Given a month I guess you'll be moving around a lot?

The first week of April, quite a few places will still be an option (I've got a Colorado trip that week myself.) Colorado, Utah, Tahoe/Mammoth, Oregon/Washington should all be good options in the US.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1st week in April is typically a wonderful time to ski in CO. Snowpack is max depth and spring break crowds are gone. Could have great spring conditions, mid-winter conditions or fresh powder. More north and east facing resorts at higher elevation are more likely to have cold snow (A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Copper, Winter Park, Vail’s front side and Blue Sky Basin, some of Beaver Creek, Aspen area resorts). Utah and Tahoe are lower elevation and more likely to have spring conditions sooner the CO. Don’t think you can go wrong with much of the Western US in early April.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not that you would coming from NZ, but do not consider anything east of Colorado. :geek:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Utah ... lower elevation
Generally true, but Alta's base is 8530 ft... that's higher than Vail and BC at least. (Though lower than Copper, Breckenridge, A-Basin, Keystone, Loveland, and Winter Park.)

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
1st week in April is typically a wonderful time to ski in CO. Snowpack is max depth and spring break crowds are gone. Could have great spring conditions, mid-winter conditions or fresh powder. More north and east facing resorts at higher elevation are more likely to have cold snow (A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Copper, Winter Park, Vail’s front side and Blue Sky Basin, some of Beaver Creek, Aspen area resorts). Utah and Tahoe are lower elevation and more likely to have spring conditions sooner the CO. Don’t think you can go wrong with much of the Western US in early April.
This. Early April is my favorite time to ski most of these places.

I’d add Aspen / Snowmass and Telluride to the list. Both peak in late March and early April, more so than just about anywhere else.

I’d vote Colorado over Tahoe for this time of year. The higher elevation helps with snow preservation, and the area’s general climate means nice spring bluebird days are likely.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One other question @Wade Ice ... do you have an Ikon or Epic pass? That could be an important consideration, as lift ticket prices if you don't can be very expensive ($150 or more per day per person).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll be at Mt Bachelor the first week of April. Conditions are typically great there in April, and they often stay open into May.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d vote Colorado over Tahoe for this time of year. The higher elevation helps with snow preservation, and the area’s general climate means nice spring bluebird days are likely.
Lol, but for this historic 200%+ tahoe season though we can't wait for the storms to stop and melt away some of the Tahoe snow. And still the long range still has storms lined up all the way through March as far as the forecast can see.
We could stand to melt off an entire average years worth of snowpack base and still be wanting more sun, just so lifts and infrastructure can work properly again.

I would say you need to go based on what you want to see and experience, which is more about the atmosphere vs the skiing and snow conditions. Spring skiing is never really about the snow anymore anyway!

Last edited:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, early April is fantastic skiing in much of the western US. Just what conditions will be like in various spots is harder to forecast a month out. But higher elevation and north/east-facing slopes give you the best likelihood of wintry conditions. Colorado; Mammoth, California; Mt. Bachelor, Oregon; Big Sky, Montana are probably the best gambles, but as mentioned day tickets are high. More affordable day tickets at high elevation/low exposure include Discovery, Montana; Brian Head, Utah; Snow King, Wyoming; or Grand Targhee, Wyoming. Or stay flexible and follow the cold.

Or, on the other hand, pick a spot you want to experience (Tahoe, Southwest Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest are gorgeous in April) and just enjoy whatever ski conditions occur. There's always a chance you'll fall in love with sun-shiny skiing.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
We're advanced and very comfortable with icy and hard-packed, groomed snow trails but not interested in slushy snow. Is there genuinely an opportunity at this time of the year that would suit us?
Maybe, but you're now asking about weather and no one can predict that.

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Where in the US will you be? Given a month I guess you'll be moving around a lot?

The first week of April, quite a few places will still be an option (I've got a Colorado trip that week myself.) Colorado, Utah, Tahoe/Mammoth, Oregon/Washington should all be good options in the US.
We really only have flights in and out of LA so we're keen to stay if we like somewhere and move if not, but the first week is reserved at this stage for skiing. Our preference would be colorado simply so we can track back through Utah but then there are really good options with Yosemite over by Tahoe... We've reserved the first week April 1-6 for skiing we just need to determine if any will be better conditions than others i.e. colder and hold up better... I won't hold you to anything but I'd really appreciate any opinions based on experience...

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
If that's the only criteria, just about anywhere west will do, with only a few isolated exceptions.

This has been a relatively cool season so far. Though that could change too.
Very much appreciated. I understand there are no guarantees but 'relatively cool and 'just about anywhere' resonates with me. Thanks

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We really only have flights in and out of LA so we're keen to stay if we like somewhere and move if not, but the first week is reserved at this stage for skiing. Our preference would be colorado simply so we can track back through Utah but then there are really good options with Yosemite over by Tahoe... We've reserved the first week April 1-6 for skiing we just need to determine if any will be better conditions than others i.e. colder and hold up better... I won't hold you to anything but I'd really appreciate any opinions based on experience...
Your best bet for real mid-winter conditions are probably Colorado and Mammoth (in terms of odds... but who knows really and much of the west should be good). I've been to both around that time of year, or later, and had good winter conditions. Sometimes there can be early spring and freeze/thaw cycles a bit, but so far this has been a great season. Later in April you would be more likely to get slushy conditions (though I've had nice late April powder days a couple of times too.) Basically, through April, the chance of real spring skiing climbs, so early in the month it's likely to still be good.

The places in Colorado that are high and preferred in that case would be Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin, Loveland, and Winter Park. A-Basin, Copper, and Winter Park are Ikon, Breck and Keystone are Epic, and Loveland is independent. Are there any other specific things you're looking for?

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Maybe, but you're now asking about weather and no one can predict that.
Well, then I didn't articulate my parameters well. I understand there are no guarantees but my assumption (right or wrong) would be in late Dec jan, feb the snow wouldn't turn to slush in the afternoon or at least later. I can't determine the likelihood of this in April being quite late in the eseason.
The theory is I take experiences from seasoned skiers to make an informed decision, that's the best I can do because as you rightly point out, I can't control the weather.

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Your best bet for real mid-winter conditions are probably Colorado and Mammoth (in terms of odds... but who knows really and much of the west should be good). I've been to both around that time of year, or later, and had good winter conditions. Sometimes there can be early spring and freeze/thaw cycles a bit, but so far this has been a great season. Later in April you would be more likely to get slushy conditions (though I've had nice late April powder days a couple of times too.) Basically, through April, the chance of real spring skiing climbs, so early in the month it's likely to still be good.

The places in Colorado that are high and preferred in that case would be Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin, Loveland, and Winter Park. A-Basin, Copper, and Winter Park are Ikon, Breck and Keystone are Epic, and Loveland is independent. Are there any other specific things you're looking for?
Many thanks. You may have asked the question for the questions that can't be answered :) Budget-friendly all things considered, advanced (groomed or not), easy to hire reasonable equipment, possible options for other resorts (maybe this is what you refer to as Ikon and Epic) therefore easy to get between resorts....Lastly, should I hire a car to get there from Denver and then use public transport for the week or retain the car... So many questions sorry.... I'm thinking you've already kindly narrowed it to abasin, copper, keystone, breck if that's easier..

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
That's so good to hear we really wanted to get a week's skiing in - would be amazing just to be in those places even if conditions changed but if they are mostly conducive to good skiing then we'll be there :)

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
Lol, but for this historic 200%+ tahoe season though we can't wait for the storms to stop and melt away some of the Tahoe snow. And still the long range still has storms lined up all the way through March as far as the forecast can see.
We could stand to melt off an entire average years worth of snowpack base and still be wanting more sun, just so lifts and infrastructure can work properly again.

I would say you need to go based on what you want to see and experience, which is more about the atmosphere vs the skiing and snow conditions. Spring skiing is never really about the snow anymore anyway!
Thank you!

TS
W

Wade Ice

Booting up
Skier
One other question @Wade Ice ... do you have an Ikon or Epic pass? That could be an important consideration, as lift ticket prices if you don't can be very expensive ($150 or more per day per person).
Neither but the best way to navigate this is appreciated. Id say we'd be there for up to seven days with the idea of skiing as many of those as possible (weather permitting) lets say 4-6 days skiing..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January