• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AQI and Riding

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I went for a quick ride today. Quicker than planned. It was around 79ish when I left, 179 when I got back. I planned to do about a 4 or 5 mile quicky, ended up with 1.5.
20210817_180902.jpg
20210817_180943.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, after seemingly endless days of smoke (to be fair ranging from hardly any to UGH) we dropped 30 degrees in one rainy day in northern MT and the current AQI is........

4! :micdrop:

Can't imagine it will last, so there is going to be some serious riding to exhaustion the next few days.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Although not good for firefighters SW wind kicked in yesterday afternoon & began clearing the air around here for a few hours. Just enough time to open the windows before we had to close them again.
Woke up this morning to clear blue skies but within a couple of hours the sky began to smoke up again. I jumped on my bike and was able to get a good ride in during the few hours of good air. By the time I got home it was snowing ash the AQI was approaching 150!

It was surreal as this smoke began to drift in, first at the high elevations before dropping into the valleys...
View attachment 140126

A lake wind advisory was predicted to keep things clear from the Dixie fire for awhile but just about the same time the Caldor fire began about 70 miles to the southwest (which puts SLT in the direct line for smoke) & is now exploding out of control!

Purple Air still has my area mostly in the red & orange but it feels more like the purple 279!
View attachment 140127

End of Days :huh:
:(

It seems that life certainly is going to be permanently altered from what we've known.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Although not good for firefighters SW wind kicked in yesterday afternoon & began clearing the air around here for a few hours. Just enough time to open the windows before we had to close them again.
Woke up this morning to clear blue skies but within a couple of hours the sky began to smoke up again. I jumped on my bike and was able to get a good ride in during the few hours of good air. By the time I got home it was snowing ash the AQI was approaching 150!

It was surreal as this smoke began to drift in, first at the high elevations before dropping into the valleys...
View attachment 140126

A lake wind advisory was predicted to keep things clear from the Dixie fire for awhile but just about the same time the Caldor fire began about 70 miles to the southwest (which puts SLT in the direct line for smoke) & is now exploding out of control!

Purple Air still has my area mostly in the red & orange but it feels more like the purple 279!
View attachment 140127

At least it makes for cool pictures.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Woke up to smell of smoke and AQIs in 200s. Windows closed, air purifiers on, HVAC fan running. Will be an indoor workout day again. Glad I got outside for a short walk last night.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
The laser sensors claim to be accurate to 1 μg/m³, under 100 μ g/m³ and +-10% over 100 μ g/m³.

I'm blown away at the performance of our air purifier. I was experimenting yesterday and It took my house down from 60μg/m³ to single digits in pretty quick order; 30 minutes. Happy to learn that even on medium speed with poor placement the air in the entire house is corrected, that's with outside air in the 50-70μg/m³range.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The laser sensors claim to be accurate to 1 μg/m³, under 100 μ g/m³ and +-10% over 100 μ g/m³.

I'm blown away at the performance of our air purifier. I was experimenting yesterday and It took my house down from 60μg/m³ to single digits in pretty quick order; 30 minutes. Happy to learn that even on medium speed with poor placement the air in the entire house is corrected, that's with outside air in the 50-70μg/m³range.
Good to know the purifier works. That's probably going to be something that we end up buying sooner vs. later.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my first air purifier during the Camp Fire and added a second one before fire season last year. This year I also pre-ordered a bunch of air filters in advance. I think it's all working, but I'll probably get a sensor to be sure.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is what Peavine looks like with AQI 251
IMG_8094.jpeg

Compare to just a few days ago, when it was just under 100
IMG_8028.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, after seemingly endless days of smoke (to be fair ranging from hardly any to UGH) we dropped 30 degrees in one rainy day in northern MT and the current AQI is........

4! :micdrop:

Can't imagine it will last, so there is going to be some serious riding to exhaustion the next few days.
We had three days of AQI under 100 so @Philpug @Andy Mink and I took advantage of it.
The only issue I felt was the dust from how dry everything is here.
We need rain, badly.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I got a message that GWN had to stop the dragon boat races today in Northern Nevada. I had to think what is AQ1? Then I remembered this thread. I'll take our hot and humid I guess instead.....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got a message that GWN had to stop the dragon boat races today in Northern Nevada. I had to think what is AQ1? Then I remembered this thread. I'll take our hot and humid I guess instead.....
Yup.
...and yet @AmyPJ 's daughter's tennis matches are not cancelled. :(

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is no Peavine with AQI of 251! Even on the better day below that pic, I can still see the yellow-brown smudge of smoke on the horizon. Ugh.
I'm sad that you cancelled your trip here but I'm glad that you're holding off until later. If you were here, we wouldn't be hiking or biking anyway. :(

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 140126

View attachment 140127

That picture you took is creepy. The wavy clouds would be cool if they were just normal clouds, not full of smoke. At least seeing your very cool-looking bike in the photo kept it from being extremely creepy….it was just creepy, LOL. That Caldor Fire can’t be good for SLT.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sad that you cancelled your trip here but I'm glad that you're holding off until later. If you were here, we wouldn't be hiking or biking anyway. :(
Yup, sad but glad. It would’ve been an interesting experience, for sure but you would’ve been largely stuck inside with me! :P

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That picture you took is creepy. The wavy clouds would be cool if they were just normal clouds, not full of smoke. At least seeing your very cool-looking bike in the photo kept it from being extremely creepy….it was just creepy, LOL. That Caldor Fire can’t be good for SLT.
I was thinking the same thing. Like a scene out of Ghostbusters.

Sponsor

Staff online