• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Arc'teryx Alpha AR vs Beta AR, what's the difference?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
If you have been shopping for an Arc'teryx shell, you have probably noticed that two of the most popular look almost identical: the Alpha AR and the Beta AR. These versatile models can be used for hiking and other alpine pursuits besides skiing. On the surface, you might have a hard time deciphering the differences, so I decided to write this article to better explain them from a skiing perspective. Despite the way they are marketed, I believe the Alpha AR is a better ski jacket than the Beta AR.

Both the Alpha and Beta utilize Gore-Tex Pro, which is my favorite material for skiing and winter use. It is waterproof, windproof, and highly breathable. For 2020, Gore-Tex updated its Pro fabric and split it into three categories: Rugged, Stretch, and Breathable. You can read about this more at Gore-Tex. What I like about the Pro fabric is that it just works so well. There are more breathable materials (vapor transfer) but to me, Neoshell and eVent allow too much heat to dissipate, and on cold, blower days, I can feel a little cold. The Pro works beautifully and seems to check all the boxes.

The Alpha AR and the Beta AR are both priced at $599 MSRP and use the AR (all round) designation, but other than the same internal pocket and pit zips, that’s where the commonalities end.

First off, Arc'teryx describes the jackets as follows:
  • Alpha AR: Extreme weather, shifting conditions, varied terrain, motion and rest – these are alpine realities. The Alpha AR is a highly versatile hardshell designed to handle them. Gore-Tex Pro with Most Rugged reinforcements in high wear areas increases durability. The StormHood delivers protection without impacting vision, a Recco reflector aids search and rescue, crossover chest pockets are easily accessible, and pit zips add ventilation.
What that all means is that the jacket is mapped with more of the lighter-weight 40D Pro material than the 80D, which is used on high-abrasion areas. The cut is slightly trimmer than the Beta, and the StormHood is a standard hood design without a separate collar. When zipped fully, its collar is higher in front than the Beta. The other significant differences are the longer, 31.25-in. length with a slightly shorter drop-hem front. The Beta is almost too short for skiing, especially on stormy days. The front pockets are Napoleon style, meaning they are higher on the chest and open to the opposite hand as opposed to a standard pocket, which sits near the hips and is open to the same side hand. Napoleons work better when you are wearing a pack.
  • Beta AR: Packable, breathable, durable waterproof protection across the spectrum of alpine environments and activities, the Beta AR jacket is created to deliver performance versatility. The Gore-Tex Pro with Most Rugged Technology -- a next-gen material we developed in collaboration with Gore -- delivers maximum durability. The helmet-compatible DropHood has an internal collar for added protection and an embedded Recco reflector improves searchability in emergency situations.
The Beta features a DropHood, which is a collar that is separate from the hood. The Beta is 30.4 in. long and has standard hand pockets. The Beta uses more of the 80D material, making it a little more durable if that’s a concern.

For the Beta, Arc'teryx uses a greater amount of the more abrasion-resistant 80D in the mapping and a shorter cut. Some people prefer the DropHood as it provides more flexibility on windy days; you should try it with your helmet to see if you like the design. On one hand, the collar stays up at all times, but on the other, it can interfere with some helmets. The front hand pockets are located in the traditional location, which some may prefer, but if you wear a pack, you may not be able to access them; it is also harder to get into them on a lift, and the items in your pockets tend to sag at the waist, impeding ski-related movements.

So why do I prefer the Alpha AR? Although it is marketed as a climbing jacket, the Alpha’s longer cut in the back is nice on the lifts and cold, windy days. I like the Napoleon pockets because when you are sitting on the lift, it's much easier to access pockets higher up on the jacket; if you wear a pack, you can still access Napoleon pockets (you won't be able to access standard hip pockets). I like the integrated hood and collar design. Using the cinches, you can adjust the collar to stay up on blower days, and the higher collar adds more protection. Conversely, on days when I don’t need the high collar, I can push it down out of the way. On the Beta, the separate collar interferes while turning my head with a Sweet Protection Trooper II MIPS helmet. I also prefer the hand of the fabric on the Alpha. Both are plenty durable for skiing trees, so unless you are really punishing your gear like rubbing against rocks while climbing and such, the Alpha works great. (Remember, Arc'teryx markets the Alpha as a climbing jacket.) Finally, the cut of the Alpha is slightly trimmer, which I prefer.

Both are fantastic jackets with just the right mix of features for skiing, and both are Arc'teryx's regular fit. I wear the large, which gives me room for layers and movement. (I have a 33-in. waist with a 41.75-in. chest and slightly athletic build.) I really appreciate the gusseted sleeves on both, which allow excellent range of motion. I also appreciate just how well these jackets are constructed. Both have easy-to-grip zipper pulls and provide excellent adjustability at the hems and hood as well as slightly longer sleeves with ample hand openings.

Although they have limited pockets, I don't like or need a lot of pockets: I put my pass in the internal zippered pocket and it scans well. The outer pockets are amply sized; in fact, I keep a flexible 16-oz water bottle in one. I use my Arc'teryx Proton SL (which toppled the Patagonia Nano-Air as my favorite midlayer) for small items. The Proton SL has an external zippered chest pocket that is perfect for my phone on really cold days and two hand pockets I use to store anything that might freeze when in the shell's pockets such as an energy bar. Both have excellent hoods that provide good peripheral vision and adjustability.

There are many Arc'teryx shells to choose from, but most people would be more than fine with the lower-priced Alpha AR or Beta AR jackets. Most of the pricier options use different Gore-Tex fabrics (most use C-knit or softshell construction, which is still excellent, but in my opinion not as good as Pro) and a couple more pockets. If you really want the most durable shell with all the features of the Alpha, go with the Alpha SV. It features 100D Pro Rugged fabric and added pockets, but it will cost you $200 more, $799. If you want something with a softer feel and more pockets, the Sabre LT or Sabre AR are both excellent choices at $695 and $675, respectively. The Cassiar and Rush jackets (for example) add powder skirts. However, for 99% of skiers, 40D material is more than adequate, and that includes me, who skis trees 60 to 70 days per season.

BayouSome

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Any hints to the sidewinder coming back?

Sponsor