• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arc'teryx Sabre Temperature Ranges?

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Howdy. I'm looking for a new ski jacket for the coming season. I've had a North Face jacket with shell and zipped inner layer that has worked well, but is starting to show wear and tear.

I'm looking at the Arc Sabre, but have never used a hard shell before. What would be the lowest and highest comfortable temps, if I were wearing the Sabre with just a t-shirt on underneath? I typically ski in California and Canada, but will probably be skiing the Rockies again, in the near future. I hit the slopes at Big Sky, in 2020, when it was -9 F /-22.7 C and my NF jacket kept me warm enough.

And just out of curiosity, is the Arc Sabre a jacket you can wear around town or is too gear heavy to wear on a walk to the store?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I moved from an insulated jacket to a shell a couple of seasons ago, and still use both. For me it's just a matter of convenience and layering. With the shell I have, it's heavier than a windbreaker/spring jacket, but not a whole lot. I also bought a synthetic puffy to go with it at the same time. My usual layers (noting that my fleece is not as warm as my puffy... depending on which you have/get, that may not always be the case):

Really cold days (rare):
-- base layer, light fleece, puffy, shell OR
-- base layer, heavy fleece, insulated jacket

Cold days (most days):
-- base layer, puffy, shell OR
-- base layer, fleece, insulated jacket

Warm days:
-- base layer, fleece, shell

On some warm days, Iike having a mid-layer because I can take it off as the day warms up. I stay away from my insulated jacket those days.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Howdy. I'm looking for a new ski jacket for the coming season. I've had a North Face jacket with shell and zipped inner layer that has worked well, but is starting to show wear and tear.

I'm looking at the Arc Sabre, but have never used a hard shell before. What would be the lowest and highest comfortable temps, if I were wearing the Sabre with just a t-shirt on underneath? I typically ski in California and Canada, but will probably be skiing the Rockies again, in the near future. I hit the slopes at Big Sky, in 2020, when it was -9 F /-22.7 C and my NF jacket kept me warm enough.

And just out of curiosity, is the Arc Sabre a jacket you can wear around town or is too gear heavy to wear on a walk to the store?
I've had a Sabre for years. It's a great shell, but as stated above, only as warm as your mid-layer. I've found the Patagonia Nano-Air to be the most versatile mid layer and allow the greatest temperature range. If I only had a t-shirt on, I'd limit it to about 50 degrees if going out to pick up take out.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
I chatted with the people at Arc'teryx and the customer service dude described their gore-tex shells as, "putting yourself in a room that is the same temperature as it is outside. Wind won't penetrate the jacket if it pulled tightly around your wrists and waist, but you generate the heat. If you're active, you'll make more heat, but I wouldn't trust your body temperature to keep the inner air warm in outer temperatures any lower than 50 degrees at the coldest." That's a pretty good metaphor.

I guess then, if I go with the Arc Sabre, I will need quality mid-layer clothing. Any recommendations alongside that of @Jersey Skier and the Patagonia Nano-Air?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Arctyrx makes great down and synthetic puffies. Patagonia fleeces and R series stuff, and smart wool next to the skin.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Rush shell and Sabre pants. On top a start with a lightweight Patagonia Capilene or smart wool long sleeve shirt and a lightweight fleece. That gets me by 90% of the time. If it’s really cold I may add another. R1 bas-layer. One a rare occasion I may wear Patagonia Nano-Air jacket instead of the fleece. Underneath the pants it’s just a Smartwool base-layer and nylon shorts. Never need more than that but I’m the guy who wears shorts if it’s over 40. ;)

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a Arc'teryx Alpha which is a hard insulation. At -20C I wear a Icebreaker 260 bottom, Pardox from Costco top base layer, Chamois shirt with Atom jacket as a mid layer. Bottom mid layer is Polartec 200 fleece pants and Arc'teryx ski pants. Keeps me warm. Sometimes a patrol vest over jacket. They do not let wind through but do not insulate much.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I chatted with the people at Arc'teryx and the customer service dude described their gore-tex shells as, "putting yourself in a room that is the same temperature as it is outside. Wind won't penetrate the jacket if it pulled tightly around your wrists and waist, but you generate the heat. If you're active, you'll make more heat, but I wouldn't trust your body temperature to keep the inner air warm in outer temperatures any lower than 50 degrees at the coldest." That's a pretty good metaphor.

I guess then, if I go with the Arc Sabre, I will need quality mid-layer clothing. Any recommendations alongside that of @Jersey Skier and the Patagonia Nano-Air?

Now it is more like it. For stated temperatures and for the purposes of skiing-an activity that produces intermittent bursts of body heat as opposed to say road cycling where the heat is constant (you dont move much on the lift up after all) it would be a thin merino base layer, then another thicker merino layer, then thick fleece (Patagonia R2) and only then you put the Sabre.
You will still feel it is cold outside but this time chances you will die are greatly reduced. :ogbiggrin:

Layering is entirely up to you and instead of fleece you can use down jacket-for REAL cold days I put on an Arc Cerium jacket which works fine but the options are endless.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
As others have said, it's a shell, so you need base build up. I ski the Arc Cassiar as my go to for out west and the Arc Sabre or Beta AR as back up and midwest. The Cassiar is slightly warmer than Sabre. If there was only one Jacket to pick, I'd probably go with the Sabre, but I prefer the Cassiar for extra warmth and I like how the neck is set up on the Cassiar over the Sabre. For softshell I use an older Marmot that I don't remember the name because I bought it 6 years ago on Sierra. I rarely use a softshell.

There are a number of great companies making layers and jackets for shells. My preference is Arc, but they're really expensive. I just replied on the system I use in another post. Here's my set up including names:

MonkeyL

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Arc Atom LT is a popular mid layer. That's what I use with a Rush, and Cassiar for NE skiing.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Arc Atom LT is a popular mid layer. That's what I use with a Rush, and Cassiar for NE skiing.
I love that jacket too, but doesn't breathe as well as the nano air or proton LT. Pocket use is limited too vis nano and proton. But a great jacket overall.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone got any Arc gear they're looking to move on from? I'm looking for Sabre/Rush/whatever pants in Large since I put on the Covid 15(lbs). The medium has become spanx. Same problem with jacket but it's not as critical as pants since they seem to actually believe in putting some space in their jackets.

Actually, a thrift shop for Arcteryx gear could be a fun thread...

Sponsor

Staff online