• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arctic Blast...

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG, supposed to get down to 3 degrees F in Dallas on Monday, I don't think it has ever been that cold here. I'm worried about busting pipes... If my pool equipment fails and/or freezes up, there will probably be some major damage.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
3 in Dallas, holly crap! Blow out those water lines, atleast the above ground if you can. Or get some heattape from homedepot(not sure if they stock it in dallas). Its used for plumbing and sometimes keeping ice from forming on roofs. Comes in variety of lengths(30, 50’, etc) plugs into 110. Wrap thise exposed pipes!! Run the heater if you cant drain it.

Those temps in a place like that can cause ALOT of damage!

It was -7 air temp(alot colder windchill) on the hill here today. I survival skied 2 laps and headed for home. Not much fun like that.

Amazon link to heat tape

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
FB_IMG_1613084431081.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah it was a relatively balmy 23F today so I changed my car battery today. Supposed to freeze up this weekend..we're also going skiing first time this winter with the lads. We'll see how this goes...

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys, this is crazy, I'm just now catching wind of this massive 100 car pile up in Fort Worth Texas...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
You guys, this is crazy, I'm just now catching wind of this massive 100 car pile up in Fort Worth Texas...

Saw news of that. Truly horrible. It played a factor in me postponing my travel plans from Houston to Colorado this weekend because my vehicle is 2WD and the chance of hitting ice in the panhandle and on the way to Denver were high.

TexasStout

Skier
Sad, there's a lack of common sense these days.
You malign the dead and injured without knowing the circumstances? Five miles from this spot, the roads were dry. There were no warnings about icy roads broadcast and these people were probably not suspecting these conditions. Icy roads are not a common occurrence in the DFW area and the state and county definitely don't put out salt or chemicals as efficiently in Texas as Northern states do.
Yet, you're still alive because of your common sense while they are not. Congratulations!

Reactions: Tex

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
You malign the dead and injured without knowing the circumstances? Five miles from this spot, the roads were dry. There were no warnings about icy roads broadcast and these people were probably not suspecting these conditions. Icy roads are not a common occurrence in the DFW area and the state and county definitely don't put out salt or chemicals as efficiently in Texas as Northern states do.
Yet, you're still alive because of your common sense while they are not. Congratulations!
Apparently traffic crested a slight down grade on that icy section of road. Momentum, loss of traction and inexperienced Winter driving skills were all factors. My common driving sense came from 4 million miles.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Saw news of that. Truly horrible. It played a factor in me postponing my travel plans from Houston to Colorado this weekend because my vehicle is 2WD and the chance of hitting ice in the panhandle and on the way to Denver were high.

2WD is not an issue, tires are.

TexasStout

Skier
2WD is not an issue, tires are.
True. How about 2WD All Season tires not M/S rated? I drove up in December and could hardly get my car in the garage in Evergreen due to the icy uphill-sloping driveway. We have no need for winter tires in TX.
Once i get there I'm good as we have snow tires on the AWD crossover we keep there. It's getting to CO that's the concern.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
True. How about 2WD All Season tires not M/S rated? I drove up in December and could hardly get my car in the garage in Evergreen due to the icy uphill-sloping driveway. We have no need for winter tires in TX.
Once i get there I'm good as we have snow tires on the AWD crossover we keep there. It's getting to CO that's the concern.

All-Season's are nicknamed No-Seasons around here :roflmao: For good reason. They are terrible.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
That's why @Fuller stashes his winter tires in Tennessee. He stops there on the way from Florida to Whitefish every year and changes tires. Reverse on the way back.
It helps that my brother in law has a 6 car garage and works on his own muscle cars. When I return in March it will be the 14th pit stop - we're quite practiced at it now. I'm down to the minimum tread depth on my Hakkapeliittas though.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January