• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arctic Blast...

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
We had power yesterday 10am to about 2am, then 6-10 am today. Hoping we get it back this afternoon when temps get over 40.

Politicization of everything is toxic to fixing the problem. Yeah, all those burst pipes are going to be expensive but those costs are going to be eaten by insurance companies or individuals. Not a ballot measure. Funding the upgrades to infrastructure is going to be the sticky bit. Texas districts are heavily gerrymandered making it a red state in the legislature. Something tells me more regulation/taxes to fix the issue isn't going to happen. It didn't in 2011 or 1989 when this happened last. Why now?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, all those burst pipes are going to be expensive but those costs are going to be eaten by insurance companies or individuals. Not a ballot measure.

Yes, either the insurance or the individual will pay for it. Then the insurance premium goes up. Direct out of pocket payment by the individual home owner will hurt even more in the short term. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

There is a big difference between winterization of existing energy infrastructure and building new energy infrastructure from scratch. A lot of it is scare tactic talk, not facts.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
How much to fix the frozen pipes and damages that burst pipes cause when everything thaws out?
I don't know if it is used in house construction but the grey colour pipes in RVs (I think it is called Pex) does not burst when frozen. You can probably figure out why I know this. ogsmile

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yes, either the insurance or the individual will pay for it. Then the insurance premium goes up. Direct out of pocket payment by the individual home owner will hurt even more in the short term. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

There is a big difference between winterization of existing energy infrastructure and building new energy infrastructure from scratch. A lot of it is scare tactic talk, not facts.

I hear you and agree the situation is worth fixing, but if I had to place a bet, I would bet against it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't know if it is used in house construction but the grey colour pipes in RVs (I think it is called Pex) does not burst when frozen. You can probably figure out why I know this. ogsmile
They were pushing that PEX for houses a few years ago..they've gone dark on it now. I personally wouldn't use it in a house...just something about it. I think it's quick to install though.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
They were pushing that PEX for houses a few years ago..they've gone dark on it now. I personally wouldn't use it in a house...just something about it. I think it's quick to install though.
It's quick to install and requires less skill than using copper. It's pretty much the standard in new construction around here now. It can still leak from freezing because the fittings can fail but it's less likely than cracking copper and easier to fix. It's great for radiant heat floors but I don't like using it for anything else.The biggest problem I have with it and reason I won't use it in my own house is that it's easy to cut or puncture. A mouse chewed through it at my father's house causing a leak in the basement.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ice in the forecast tonight and tomorrow.. Even online school is cancelled because massive power and cable outages are expected. Bring it on..

1613607550631.png

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Extreme weather you aren’t used to getting is tough no matter where you live so my heart goes out to the folks down there. My hope with these situations though is that folks learn to make changes, adapt and not have to repeat this anytime soon. It’s clear the power grid in Texas is sorely deficient so that’s a big factor to address in the near future to avoid a repeat.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Anyone else finding skiers hesitant about using polyethylene even a little bit funny? :roflmao:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
How much to fix the frozen pipes and damages that burst pipes cause when everything thaws out?

1500 est do it myself....My weather in the N Panhandle is more severe than most of Texas. Pier and beam here and I wrapped everything I could find before it hit. 12 days now below freezing and many nights below 0. -8 max. No issues other than needing to tune my Husky saw off YouTube tips and restoke fireplace every 3 hours overnight in case of power loss. Will insulate proper this summer.

Almost scary but 0 power loss up here with our Co-Op power supplier, we are not part of the ERCOT Texas grid. My heart goes out to millions...almost unbelievable. Many neighbors pipes froze and several lives lost or harmed statewide. Of course....when thaw comes in the next few days I'll check my meter for flow when everything off. The folks in the S have it worse than me. No power and many older homes ARE NOT INSULATED. :geek:

I think of Grump when trying to do it right!!!

Our lake...
20210214_121944.jpg

My driveway...
20210214_121228.jpg

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone else finding skiers hesitant about using polyethylene even a little bit funny? :roflmao:
I don't have a problem with the material in the proper application. I don't like the inappropriate use, IMO, where a failure could flood my house.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't have a problem with the material in the proper application. I don't like the inappropriate use, IMO, where a failure could flood my house.

Nobody's saying you're wrong. I am saying we can chuckle about it as skiers - and so can the whitewater kayakers.

Reactions: Ogg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Talking of, what are the boating snowbirds doing now that they can't putter down to Florida? Everything frozen in yet?
Surprisingly (or not maybe..) quite a few did go down. They're actually getting vaccinated down there faster than they can here! Notwithstanding those, the rest are complaining miserably about the whole situation. Lakes are for sure froze up solid. Was talking to my relative up north..this is the first winter he's spent in Canada in 20 years..usually splits winters between Mexico and Florida..he had to buy winter boots and proper winter gear again. I visited a few weeks ago and he looked like the tags were going to still be on the jacket and gloves... :roflmao:

Every week there is a story in the news about another politician or gov't worker caught "working" from Turks and Caicos or St. Barts..the politicians have to resign..the gov't workers say talk to my union..the private sector workers say "Fsck you!"

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of the footage on the news is shocking. So much misery and suffering. So sad to see the human tragedy side of this.

This is a screen grab off one of the video clips showing people waiting in line to fill their propane tank in freezing temps.

1613623655990.png

We, as a society, should be better than this.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Four wheel drive is rarely needed, but it sure is fun to have.

I wonder what started that chain reaction crash. Maybe wind blew a semi off the road and started the back up?

Depends where you are. Chaining up because one doesn't have AWD and winter tires out this way is terrifying, time consuming, messy, often soaking wet, and just a general royal pain in the rear. AWD with snow tires is amazing. Oh, and an I say chaining up next to US 2 or I-90 is terrifying again? If there's a hell, this is one of the punishments. I've also been up the road to Mt. Washington and have been thankful for AWD and snow tires...
:roflmao:

Sponsor