• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are here any green slopes for a beginner still open in 3rd week of May?

rfjeff9

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My daughter wants to go but has to take MCATs on May 15 and I was hoping to take a few days after for just the two of us to fly into Denver and hit something to introduce her to the fun, but from what I can tell only A Basin is open that late. I am leery of laying down money for a trip on the chance she won't get to ski or the pickings will be super slim and/or crowded.

What are your thoughts in this? Is A Basin reliable the last 2 weeks of May? Should I scrap the plans and wait for Thanksgiving, or has past experience shown there are other places for us around May 17 or so?

TBH, it really seems like a pipe dream that late, so I will not be surprised to hear you say it's a bad idea.

It doesn't HAVE to be in Colorado, just thinking that's a good place to get her hooked.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are places in other locations, such as Snowbird, Mammoth, Mt Bachelor, Timberline. Mt Bachelor probably has the most/best green terrain open, however the slush anyplace might be difficult for a beginner. Alta has good green terrain, however they are usually only open weekends that late.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Snowbird in Utah is one of the more reliable bets to be open that late. They usually close up the Baby Thunder area, but Big Emma will work as a wide open green run. The SLC airport is less than an hour away.

However, if you're bound and determined to fly into Denver, I can't help you.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The place isn't as important as the conditions. That late there will be no problem getting lodging, so you might as well wait to see what's happening. Air tickets might cost a bit more, but that's less than a bad trip.

Thanksgiving can be really iffy at many places. Even some of the best can have little or no snow then. Man made snow is fine for the beginner run if things are cold enough to make snow.

Which high altitude ski areas make snow on the beginner run? A-Basin?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The first time I walked inside the Timberline lodge, I was thinking "wait, this doesn't look anything like the hotel in The Shining" LOL

I agree Timberline would be a good choice. I've skied there the week before July 4th and the week after Labor Day.. July was cool...skied in the morning, was poolside in Portland in the afternoon

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
May 24 2018. My daughter and I are skiing at Timberline Lodge. This is what you can expect.
P_20180524_084551_LL.jpg
P_20180524_084612_BF.jpg
P_20180524_102852_LL.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Only chance in CO would be A-Basin or Loveland. But that's getting awful late and heavy slush is likely after mid-morning.
Loveland is usually closed by that late date. Abasin doesn’t really have good beginner terrain normally let alone in the third week of May.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Has she ever skied before? Highly variable spring conditions could put her off skiing completely.

Many ski schools shut down in very late season. Not sure if you are planning on lessons or not.

Sponsor

Staff online