• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Armada Tracer 98

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Looking at picking up a pair to use as a touring ski and trying to decide between 180cm or 188cm. I typically like skis around 185cm, which should point me towards the 188cm, but my buddy is suggesting I go shorter for a touring ski to save weight (ski length and skin length). I'm about 5'11" 220lbs and will be skiing mostly the Tahoe area. Also, is there a big enough difference between the 18/19 version and the 19/20 version. Seeing some great deals on the 18/19 version.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I have the Tracer 98 in 188 and absolute love them. I am 185-5'11. I use them in any soft snow condition. They are great in crud also. Mine are 17/18 I believe. Great all around ski they are even OK on Eastern Harpack (Ice)
I don't spend much time in the trees or nor tour with them.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Looking at picking up a pair to use as a touring ski and trying to decide between 180cm or 188cm. I typically like skis around 185cm, which should point me towards the 188cm, but my buddy is suggesting I go shorter for a touring ski to save weight (ski length and skin length). I'm about 5'11" 220lbs and will be skiing mostly the Tahoe area. Also, is there a big enough difference between the 18/19 version and the 19/20 version. Seeing some great deals on the 18/19 version.

188... the older one you might get away with a 180, but the newer skis a bit shorter as it's lighter.

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Went with last year's 188. Decided to pay the weight penalty for a little bit more float. Thanks all for the info!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Generally you want to go down one size (from you normal resort ski size in similar style skis) in skis you intend to use mainly as backcountry skis. It will make it easier to do kick turns and generally easier to handle uphill besides the weight savings.

That said, I didnt do that and went with 185cm length in my BC Navis.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know how they'll be in the back country but they're a hoot on the front side!

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Hmmm...good point about a shorter ski being easier to handle during skinning. I didn't think about that... but we'll see how it goes. I got such a smoking deal on the Tracer's in the 188 length that if it really becomes an issue, I could resell these without too much of a loss and resize appropriately. Plus, all the reviews say this is a super fun ski so if it doesn't work in the BC, I can just keep it as resort ski.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid