• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arrest warrant in murder of pro gravel cyclist Moriah Wilson

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm. Bit more of a history on Strickland though given he was the one who had a profile. Sounds like he'd blown a lot of friendships in the community for them to turn such a hatchet history over to a journo.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting article.

Proving something is different.

Still, imagine a defense lawyer who’s client has claimed innocence saying, “They’re guilty as hell. Just wait for the trial.”

Her attorney is now seeking sponsorship from Costa Rica. “Costa Rica: Where misunderstood yoga teachers go to have plastic surgery.”

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I do think this is headed toward a movie/ mini series. There are enough elements of crime of passion/ fit up/ glamorous roster of locations involved. You would hope the DA has open and shut forensics.

Wonder if that's what the New Yorker article really is - a pitch for being the screenwriter or at least first of fthe blocks with the true crime book?

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You've been watching too much CSI/Law & Order/TV Crime Dramas that need to be wrapped up in 60 minutes with commercials.

Possibly but it's not like she was in the wind for days - they had her in for questioning. And with a crime of passion as this seems to be being painted as you might expect less forensic hygiene going on from the perp.

If it ends up a jury trial the defence only have to have a lack of direct objective evidence and a plausible story about fearing for her life/being fitted up by Strickland to possibly sway the outcome due to jurors who have majored in crime dramas before.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
If it ends up a jury trial the defence only have to have a lack of direct objective evidence and a plausible story about fearing for her life/being fitted up by Strickland to possibly sway the outcome due to jurors who have majored in crime dramas before.
This is true.

-A good defense attorney will absolutely exploit jurors' preferences for certain kinds of evidence— the kind of evidence that police procedurals and crime dramas often portray.

-A good prosecutor would carefully demolish those arguments. "Yes, it's mainly circumstantial evidence, but evidence where the circumstances would have to be quite a coincidence for someone else to be guilty."

-What a jury does is anybody's guess. Juries terrify me, frankly, and I'm a lawyer. You'd have to think though that escaping the country and changing your appearance is incredibly damaging to your presumption of innocence. Not a good look.

James

Out There
Instructor
I would agree except cycling......
Meaning no one cares about cycling?
I suppose, but it’s not like pro road cycling, which would likely be a turn off due to the view that “they’re all emaciated criminals anyway.

This is more like a murder amongst say organized catfish noodlers. It’ll do.

I get the sense they have very little forensics in this case. Doesn’t mean anything other than lots of luck by the perp. And probably a poor initial investigation. Strickland’s statement that “she could never do anything like that” has a just little more weight than Gacy was “a nice clown”

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
Meaning no one cares about cycling?
I suppose, but it’s not like pro road cycling, which would likely be a turn off due to the view that “they’re all emaciated criminals anyway.

This is more like a murder amongst say organized catfish noodlers. It’ll do.

I get the sense they have very little forensics in this case. Doesn’t mean anything other than lots of luck by the perp. And probably a poor initial investigation. Strickland’s statement that “she could never do anything like that” has a just little more weight than Gacy was “a nice clown”
Strickland may have said that because he is the one who bought her the gun!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I suspect the gotcha will be ... if the evidence and witness accounts are such a slam dunk why wasn't she arrested or even detained sooner and not allowed to disappear to Costa Rica???

James

Out There
Instructor
Nothing really new besides a plethora of personal details. “Journalism” is now personal recollections, instead of getting an uninvolved party to interview those involved.

Possibly new- Armstrong practiced with her gun and her sister at a range. Unclear on the location. Around the time in late January that Armstrong told a friend while in Bentonville, while all 3 there for a race, she wanted to kill Wilson.

As I remember, Strickland said he’d never fired his gun, implying Armstrong hadn’t either. But maybe he never mentioned Arnstrong.

Armstrong asked Strickland’s friend about the neighborhood where the murder took place. That just after Strickland left with the detectives after they first told him about the homicide. It’s unclear wether any location details were relayed to Strickland by detectives before the police station. That friend implies no.

Nothing on the Jeep. I thought there was doubt it’s her Jeep? No doubts raised.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Article is a bit rich - some criticism of people talking about the case online but then largely rehashing facts with some personal association for added glamour.

Don't think Outside writers can quite contain their glee about having something so meaty to write about. Everyone has an eye on being the next Krakauer here.

Sponsor