• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Article: Why it's difficult to get detailed information when skiers die at California resorts

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOLOLOL. Resorts reporting injures and deaths does not mean people are coming to take away your skis. When did this forum become so nutty?
Get a grip people.

"I am from the government and I am here to help you." That belongs up there with "Check is in the mail" and "My wife doesn't understand me.

It seems some here don't have much dealing with the government. In actuality, all of us do. The two things consistent in life is death and taxes. The way science is going, we may be able to eliminate death somewhere down the road.

I was a outside contractor for government agencies for decades. The regulations are pervasive and ever growing in numbers and complexity. I recalled an incidence couple decades back with one of the agency we were doing work for. My company had to file a certification package with that specific agency at regular intervals. The certification form is 28 pages. The certification lasts two years and takes six months to process. The agency decided to simplify the form and process. The new simplified form is 58 pages. The certification process takes way longer than before.

But hey, why not give them a chance and see what they can screw up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Thanks for that. The article says he did an inadvertent back flip, landed on his chest and burst his aorta.
I would say that's on him.

Note to self: don't land jumps on chest. (I'll add this to my previous note about not skiing on face.)
A "burst aorta" most likely means he had the Triple A issue: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. He may or may not have know he had one. Mine was first noted--but not relayed to me--when I had cat scans in 2003 for my first emergent kidney stone. I learned about it in 2018 when I went to the emergency room for a chest injury and had a cat scan to be sure of no internal damage. The radiologist report included the phrase "chronic broken ribs" and the fact my aneurysm had increased in size marginally. Since then, the cardiologist has been tracking the aneurysm with annual ultrasound checks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A "burst aorta" most likely means he had the Triple A issue: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. He may or may not have know he had one. Mine was first noted--but not relayed to me--when I had cat scans in 2003 for my first emergent kidney stone. I learned about it in 2018 when I went to the emergency room for a chest injury and had a cat scan to be sure of no internal damage. The radiologist report included the phrase "chronic broken ribs" and the fact my aneurysm had increased in size marginally. Since then, the cardiologist has been tracking the aneurysm with annual ultrasound checks.
My sister had a CT scan to check for inner ear issues because she had/has cronic vertigo. She eventually was diagnosed with Meniere's disease, but during the CT Scan they found a double(or snowman) aneurism. She had surgery to clip them. The CT Scan for something else saved her life.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
A "burst aorta" most likely means he had the Triple A issue: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. He may or may not have know he had one. Mine was first noted--but not relayed to me--when I had cat scans in 2003 for my first emergent kidney stone.

Interesting. The only diagnosis from a kidney stone that I ever got was bladder cancer (being that it is within that same region, bodily speaking) and that was removed post haste. I've never had CAT scans for a stone, only an X-ray of that area, far cheaper to administer.

Anyhow, this is thread drift... Grief has many dimensions, one desires to know as much as possible sometimes. And sometimes, one desires to avoid discussion.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've never had CAT scans for a stone, only an X-ray of that area, far cheaper to administer.

My stones are invisible to X-ray but visible in CAT scans, according to the urologist who ordered the scans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online