• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen 2021 - Fun, some sun, and what's to come...

James

Out There
Instructor
View of Bonnie's restaurant and the mid mountain area
Is Bonnie’s open?
It was one thing cited by FIS as a problem for the Wcup. Can’t remember what they said, but essentially called it decrepit.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great report, as always. I'm looking forward to skiing there next year.

Even with delays and cancelation risk, I think flying in is better than the long drive from the Denver airport (which is actually in Kansas). I have wondered about flying into Grand Junction, though...

Next year!
We have flown into Eagle and rented a car for our annual trips to Snowmass. We have friends in the area so the car is nice to have. Eagle is a reliable airport and the drive is easy.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is Bonnie’s open?
It was one thing cited by FIS as a problem for the Wcup. Can’t remember what they said, but essentially called it decrepit.
Yes, as far as I could tell. I didn't go inside, and can't recall seeing many people on the deck. But it was all setup and I didn't hear about any closure. The Aspen/Snowmass website seems to say it's open too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes the shuttle from DIA is a nearly 5 hr let down. I did fly once into Aspen and it was awesome.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes the shuttle from DIA is a nearly 5 hr let down. I did fly once into Aspen and it was awesome.
Where are you going to fly into next year when you attend the Gathering? :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Where are you going to fly into next year when you attend the Gathering? :)
What would you recommend?
Def would like to go. If it’s during French school holiday weeks in Feb, I will not be around.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Def would like to go. If it’s during French school holiday weeks in Feb, I will not be around.

When do French school holiday weeks happen? I thought the Gathering was always the last week of Feb and/or overlapping into early March.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When do French school holiday weeks happen? I thought the Gathering was always the last week of Feb and/or overlapping into early March.

Yes... the most likely dates, barring something unforeseen, are February 26 - March 5.

@James... which zone are you syncing with? Here are the French winter holidays for 2022:

1615505869766.png

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Paris. Don’t know which zone that is.
That would be Zone C, right overlapping the Gathering. Of course. :nono:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be Zone C, right overlapping the Gathering. Of course. :nono:

Bummer. I guess there's always the NE Gathering.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
that is just pure awesome. all of a sudden i feel like my winter has been a waste :)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
that is just pure awesome. all of a sudden i feel like my winter has been a waste :)
A good season at Timberline is nothing to sneeze at... I had great days there too. :) Come to the Gathering next year if you can! Otherwise, we're somewhat likely to have a Mid-A Gathering next year too I'd think.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Usually flying into ASE is usually not an issue. But when it is, it is a major inconvenience. But that is part of why Aspen is a special ski experience -- the absence of crowds, discouraged by the possibility that flying into Aspen will be inconvenient or having to deal with a significant drive from Denver with lots of potential traffic.

Mike
Not sure about that. My friend would fly into aspen every year via Denver. About 1/3 of the time there were flight problems into ASE. Often flight would leave Denver circle Aspen without landing and return to Denver. Sometimes would make it later, sometimes not. Sometimes UA would bus you in. Sometimes the next day.

On one of his last trips they said go to a airport motel and they would call. Instead he pulled a Tom Hanks act and slept in airport departure area. No calls but at 6:30 am he heard his name paged to get on the plane. He ran to the plane and got to ASE !

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@dbostedo - what were the lift lines like ? Aspen is usually not an issue - usually ski on last year even on a Sat. (Well except a couple). Trying to plan out a last minute Spring trip. Have not skied on a weekend all year but this might be unavoidable.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo - what were the lift lines like ? Aspen is usually not an issue - usually ski on last year even on a Sat. (Well except a couple). Trying to plan out a last minute Spring trip. Have not skied on a weekend all year but this might be unavoidable.
Mostly very small (a few chairs) to non-existant. I skied Sunday - Friday, so I avoided Saturday. The longest lines we saw were a few minutes on Friday at Snowmass on Big Burn, and maybe 10 minutes on the gondola at Aspen Mountain on Wednesday. That one was the most unexpected - it was a very nice spring-like day though, so maybe that brought people out? The other lifts on Aspen mountain were pretty much ski-on.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have flown into Eagle and rented a car for our annual trips to Snowmass. We have friends in the area so the car is nice to have. Eagle is a reliable airport and the drive is easy.

I’ve considered this.

I’m flying into Steamboat next Sunday for a WP/Steamboat week, as there are direct flights from Seattle on Alaska. I might consider it for next year’s Aspen Gathering as well (with a few days at Steamboat of course).